Bj73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Broski

I love Wheelin my 80
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm looking for help from the collective minds here in the 70 Forum
What is this BJ worth it has the boat anchor VM motor and no AC
On the plus side it's left hand drive and looks clean but I don't know whats under that new paint job.
I have been looking at 73 for more then a few years now and every time I pass on one because I think it to much they go up in price again!!
I am well aware that it well need a motor swap and would probably do something like @2fpower just did with his ;)
The market is crazy right now and there no way I think it worth what he asking but the owner is welling to negotiate.
Thanks in advance !!

If someone grabs it be for me because I posted so be it!!

@OGBeno, @Will Van, @coldtaco, @Gun Runner 5 to tag a few anyone else feel free to chime in

Last edited:
I agree with @coldtaco, I would pass on this truck. It doesn’t have the engine you want, and it’s a respray.

I bet @edmond4822 can get you the exact truck you want from the Middle East.

I agree with @coldtaco, I would pass on this truck. It doesn’t have the engine you want, and it’s a respray.

I bet @edmond4822 can get you the exact truck you want from the Middle East.
Thank you @Will Van for the recommendation.

Unfortunately 73 series cruisers are really hard to find in the Middle East.
It is also one of my favorite vehicles because the hardtop comes off, but cant seem to find a clean one.
I would import one if I had found any..

Another issue is that most ordinary folks in ME don't deal with foreigners or outsiders. they rather sell to someone local.
I do my best but sometimes it doesnt work out.

I see that you’ve already gotten useful answers from everyone you tagged.
Sorry, no direct experience with the VM. We do have a club member with one but the engine has already “let go” and has been replaced with a 2F. Fresh re-sprays always make me a tad nervous.

Last edited:
@joekatana maybe able to keep any eye out for one. Pinging him here so you both can connect. Joe is extremely well versed in the 70 series. Last time I visited he had one as I recall here in Texas. Joe is fantastic to work with. Salt of the earth. I highly recommend him.

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom

Yeah, I agree with masses. That is a under $20k truck there...

Yeah, I agree with masses. That is a under $20k truck there...
Ha ha and exactly what I told the owner.
Thank you for you input !!

PS really liking what you have done with your 73 ;)

Ha ha and exactly what I told the owner.
Thank you for you input !!

PS really liking what you have done with your 73 ;)
Sadly it isn’t in the current market . If he sits on it and advertise it at the right venues he can get that , now is it worth the price heck no . A few years ago I was selling lhd HZj73’s here in the US for 15k and right now those same cruisers in similar condition as I sold them are 25-30k now in Europe IF you can find one . Shipping costs for a container have tripled in cost and many folks have loaded containers sitting in ports for months on end without knowing when and even if they can get a spot on a boat .

Better buckle up as prices will continue to rise and supply will be even less then there is now in lhd 7x cruisers .

That being said I am on my way to Europe now and will have 2 hzj73’s and a hzj75 troopy for sale later this year.

Pretty much what everyone said.

Repaint, VM motor AND $30k. !!!!

Plus things like this make me cringe more...
Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 9.21.43 AM.png

We use only the finest self tappers in this restore.

That said if you aren't set on LHD, there are still some "deals" out there.
An 88 BJ74 didn't sell for 19K on bring a trailer, had lockers but auto and RHD. I didn't look close enough to see if repaint.

I guess it depends on what your deal breakers are. LHD? auto?

In the beginning of the year One just like this VM motor sold right here on mud for 12K, I tried to buy it but the owner choose to sell it to some one local.
It was in New Mexico and it was his right.
It just sold last month on EBay for less the 16k wasn't a respray and had AC, was a no reserve bid 🤷‍♂️

Hardtop VM 70s are all over Italy for 5k-7k. For 9k you can get a low mile rig.

Examples:

Finding an FRP top in decent shape here is difficult.
I keep my eye out for a busted engine VM 70 with an FRP to put in a KZ/KD or 1HD and bring back on the gov's dime.

Pretty much what everyone said.

Repaint, VM motor AND $30k. !!!!

Plus things like this make me cringe more...
View attachment 3041896

We use only the finest self tappers in this restore.

That said if you aren't set on LHD, there are still some "deals" out there.
An 88 BJ74 didn't sell for 19K on bring a trailer, had lockers but auto and RHD. I didn't look close enough to see if repaint.

I guess it depends on what your deal breakers are. LHD? auto?
Agree …..
I perhaps would pay a small premium for a LHD Cruiser ( Full Disclosure …. I drive LHD Land Cruisers) but I would not pay a large premium for one. There are a lot of nice RHD models out there.

Hard pass on this one for sure. If it was not repainted then maybe but there is too much to unfuk there.

I don't get the premium of LHD compared to RHD 70 series. I have owned both and have no issues with either and rarely run into situation where RHD is an issue....very rarely.

It’s just personal preference, on top of that right hand drive have a shorter Vin.
Left hand drive Rig have 17 digit Vin. Same as US Vehicles
And the biggest chance you have to slip through the cracks and get it registered in Calif.
RHD and the shorter Vin is a Instant red flag and even the most naïve DMV worker will know it’s a gray market vehicle.
LHD, already registered in another state, 17 digit Vin is not guaranteed but your best shot at getting registered in California.

Also I’m not a fan of the noise smell and lack of power from the diesels that come in these especially if you take the roof off.
And would prefer to do what @2fpower did to his and LS swap it.
So if one could Precure a 73 with the VM motor at a lower cost and put that savings towards the V8 swap it could help with the overall cost.
Also The VM truck are 12 volt Instead of 24 volt like most of the Toyota diesels helping to Simplifying the swap.

So in short I would be killing to birds with one stone, if I Succeeded getting it registered as a diesel in California pre-97 it would never need to be smog ever allowing me to do the LS swap and never have to see a smog referee.
So really I prefer the VM motor as long as it runs good enough for me to get it registered.
It really comes down to what’s under that pretty paint job.
And what I can get it for.

This particular truck also has the manual three position transfer case shifter and not the vacuum activated four-wheel-drive and manual locking hubs both of which I prefer on top of that it has the removable windows in the doors also a big plus if you intend to take the roof off for trail rides and I do.

From what I've read, this might as well be engine-less, since it's a VM. At 30k you can get a nicer, unmolested FJ73 if the gas engines are what you're after.

To me, the target audience for this ad is someone with more money to spend than knowledge of the cruiser for sale.

The LHD FJ73 I owned didn’t have 17 digit vin.

From what I've read, this might as well be engine-less, since it's a VM. At 30k you can get a nicer, unmolested FJ73 if the gas engines are what you're after.

To me, the target audience for this ad is someone with more money to spend than knowledge of the cruiser for sale.
You absolutely correct.
The issue is that people seem to think a clean RHD is worth 40K 🤷‍♂️
Just look at the current postings here on Mud.
I don’t think they’re actually selling but it makes everyone think their rigs are goldplated.

I not sure why people think it’s molested just because it’s a repaint.
Please be more specific
After all your rig has been repainted and I don’t think it looks molested.
No offense intended!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom