BJ60 Transmission Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
84 BJ60 with 180k miles. Tranny has been making a noise (like radio static/grinding) for a while when I let off the gas when moving. Nothing when stopped. Particularly worse in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. Clutch is still working well and doesn’t slip much, but is getting up there in age. Any thoughts on what could be the culprit? Have read about maybe the idler shaft or a bushing at the connection of the actual shift lever.

could be anywhere in the drivetrain,
I'd start with checking oils in both diffs, trans and transfer
grease and check both driveshafts, slip yokes and u joints
engine and trans mounts

My conclusion with these old 4 speed transmissions — because of lack of parts availability and the price a transmission shop would charge to attempt a partial rebuild — is to drive it into the ground, then replace it with a new 5 speed.
Its no longer worthwhile to rebuild these things unless you’ve got all the necessary specialized pullers and tools and experience and courage to tear one of these apart and put it back together successfully.

My conclusion with these old 4 speed transmissions — because of lack of parts availability and the price a transmission shop would charge to attempt a partial rebuild — is to drive it into the ground, then replace it with a new 5 speed.
Its no longer worthwhile to rebuild these things unless you’ve got all the necessary specialized pullers and tools and experience and courage to tear one of these apart and put it back together successfully.
is there still good parts avalibility?

Yes everything is available for the 5 speed since its still an available transmission. Just about everything is discontinued for the 4 speed. Some parts can be found for the 4 speed from third party manufacturers.

could be anywhere in the drivetrain,
I'd start with checking oils in both diffs, trans and transfer
grease and check both driveshafts, slip yokes and u joints
engine and trans mounts
Thanks for the reply! Just went and made a video actually to maybe better help diagnose cause it’s just a weird noise.

Thanks for the reply! That’s definitely interesting knowledge. I should have been more clear. So yeah, 2,3 and 4th gears make the most noise, but it is a 5 speed actually!

Then the 5 speed can be rebuilt, but if you have a transmission shop do it the labor cost will be expensive

Yes everything is available for the 5 speed since its still an available transmission. Just about everything is discontinued for the 4 speed. Some parts can be found for the 4 speed from third party manufacturers.

Not quite correct. Toyota are no longer supplying 5th gear, counter 5th gear, the 5th gear shift fork and perhaps a few other 5th gear related parts as individual items. Even though they still sell the complete H55F.

Reactions: OSS
@3_puppies gave you a good list of things to check. Folks on this forum are super helpful but at the end of the day you're gonna have to get under there and do some digging.

You mention that the clutch "doesn't slip much," but any slippage under load = it's cooked.

Go through and inspect the whole drive train and let us know what you find. That way you'll get more than wild guesses for answers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom