BJ60 to HJ61 Body swap...the five year plan turned right now plan! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All basic wiring is now complete and tested.

Windows were installed today. The window welting which replaces the chrome was installed by the pro's and let me tell you, it was WORTH IT! They have a special tool you see...an SST...for that very thing...and it's awesome. What wasn't super awesome was that the last 2" of the windshield install ended in tragedy so I'll be driving the truck to their shop early next week for a 2nd try at the windshield.

But know this, we laid the two new windshields on top of the OEM (broken) one and they were 1/4" and 1/8" wider respectively. That 1/8" was 1/8" too much apparently. The boss at the shop said there's a better way to install that type of windshield so I think he's going to do it personally when I bring it in. Regardless, I have all my windows in so I'm able to drive it now :)

All things exterior relating to sealing the holes has also been done, like door handles, side mirrors, badges, has mostly been done. Just need a couple emblems for the rear tailgate and I'm set.

IMG_4095.jpg

IMG_4098.jpg

IMG_4097.jpg

IMG_4096.jpg

Where did you get the window welting? Can your window guy get it locally? I've got 4 windows in need.

Cruiserpilot, after much research locally and within Canada I came to the conclusion that ordering from Wagongear was my safest bet, so I did. He must have a large bulk role of it because he sent it to me in pieces marked individually, not in an OEM package. I have yet to let him know that the rear glass measurement was off by 4", but the sides were proud as much so I stole from Peter to pay Paul :) The welting itself is not the actual seal but rather provides the necessary tension for the OEM seal to seat properly. It just means I have two "ends" instead of one.

Franken60, I kind of like the OEM one as there are lots of places to honk!

Rigpig, that may work out nicely. I'm still not sure if I want to get a nice leather cover, but I'm leaning that way as the OEM is a little skinny and cold. I'll let you know, and thanks so much for the offer :)

Picked up some underlay from Mastercraft Flooring in Duncan last week. $75 for more than I needed. Seems like pretty decent stuff.

The picture of the Drivers side ( last pic) shows a special addition which the BJ60's (at least not that I recall) never had. Can you spot it?

IMG_4102.jpg

IMG_4103.jpg

IMG_4104.jpg

IMG_4106.jpg

Ding ding ding...NookShneer for the win. Yes, I can now lock my keys in the cab while fuelling up ;)

Hmmmm. Now a-days diesel is the precious liquid. I remember my dad filling up (edit.. gas station attendant filling up) the old 6.9f250 at 15 cent a liter while I waited for my free pack of hockey cards complimentary with the fill up.

Times have changed.

Back to the point.... Nice work PeeZed.

Have an interior question for you. Does your HJ61 have 60/40 split seats in the back? If so, are the mounting points different from the BJ60? And do you have reclining levers on the 61 rear seats? A guy local to me has a partial rear seat and we are trying to figure out what it came from.

Btw - amazing work, quality and fortitude are top notch.

@NookShneer, I'll have pics up tomorrow about the interior stuff as the rear seats should go in then.

Nonetheless, yes, the HJ seats are 60/40 or 70/30 (whichever) and they definitely mount differently than the BJ's. The HJ splits seats have two sets of two bolts per seat so there are 8 mounting points on the floor for the entire rear seat setup.

EDIT: Rear seats are 50/50. The top folds down against the bottom and they both flip up towards the back of the front seats. No reclining.

I don't know about reclining yet, but I believe they just latch into place on the uppers and that's it, but again, I'll know better by tomorrow.

Thanks for the encouragement...it's been a crazy amount of hours and being my first restoration I've had to learn many things. Body work is by far my greatest weakness still!

Last edited:
Today I was able to get the carpets cleaned up and installed as well as the two front seats. But I wont post pics until tomorrow when I have the rears in as well.

I also re-welded and repainted the front bumper and installed it. I'm now realizing that all my efforts in making the "Toyota" grill so nice will be trumped by my Ramsey 9000 winch :doh:. But, removing the winch gave me the opportunity to clean and lube it up.

IMG_4107.jpg

IMG_4108.jpg

IMG_4109.jpg

IMG_4110.jpg

So, I lied about the winch. It doesn't block the view of the "Toyota" sign...the big 'ol 7" round lights that were on there did. I'll be replacing them with new ones from RADD soon enough, but the old ones had googly eye syndrome and made my wife carsick when they were on o_O Oh, and apparently the winch can only go on if the bumper is off, so yeah, did that twice :doh:

Anyways, outside of a few minor things left on the to do list, the major portion of this project is done like dinner!

Still left are plumbing in a new oil pressure gauge, stereo of some sort, rear cargo light, front driving/fog lights, gutter chrome (which isn't painted black yet), rear window defrost wired, rear seat heater troubleshot, floor rail carpet strips at each door entrance, rear seatbelts, and the custom rear cargo storage solutions system...

Since last time I've installed the rear bumper, wired up the license and additional reverse lights, interior carpet, adjusted brakes (thanks RADD!), reflective strips at rear quarters because imports didn't have them apparently, and had the windshield replaced correctly.

Here's the last set of pics for awhile probably. Gotta finish up this crazy busy week of work and then we're off for an adventure (including the dog!) for some much needed rest.

NOTE: I cannot, again, say enough how much I appreciate John @ Radd for making this restoration even possible with his generosity towards my family in this way. He was so patient with my many questions, continuously generous with his time and used parts resources, and ultimately made this dream a reality. Thanks again John, and may you and your business be blessed!

IMG_4129_1.jpg

IMG_4130.jpg

IMG_4131_1.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

IMG_4126%201.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

Last edited:
So......anybody wanna come over Friday night or Saturday and help me wrap up a couple things before I take this rig on a week long road trip with my family?

Things I need to figure out before Sunday still...
- Rear seat belts. I may have to run to Radd and see if he has the pieces I think I'm missing. Lap belts, not shoulder. Along with this, which of our booster seats will work. The center one is in, but the sides don't make sense...yet.
- Rear under seat heater. No power. Took dash apart. Can't figure it out.
- Oil pressure gauge. Bought one from John @ Radd, but need to install it.
- Finish interior trim pieces to hold carpet down.
- Figure out why the front passenger window is do dang tight!
- Figure out why the right rear door lock is so dang tight.
- Pack the panels with spare parts, tools, recovery gear, and WHY...

Anybody???

Anyone???

I...hear...crickets...

So......anybody wanna come over Friday night or Saturday and help me wrap up a couple things before I take this rig on a week long road trip with my family?

Things I need to figure out before Sunday still...
- Rear seat belts. I may have to run to Radd and see if he has the pieces I think I'm missing. Lap belts, not shoulder. Along with this, which of our booster seats will work. The center one is in, but the sides don't make sense...yet.
- Rear under seat heater. No power. Took dash apart. Can't figure it out.
- Oil pressure gauge. Bought one from John @ Radd, but need to install it.
- Finish interior trim pieces to hold carpet down.
- Figure out why the front passenger window is do dang tight!
- Figure out why the right rear door lock is so dang tight.
- Pack the panels with spare parts, tools, recovery gear, and WHY...

Anybody???

Anyone???

I...hear...crickets...

Wish I didn't live so far away, as I could pop over for a 2-3 hours the next couple evenings. Unfortunately the drive would eat all that up...

Been helping a friend with his needy HDJ81 quite a bit, but it was easy cause he was working on it at my place at night when we both had time. No drive...

You'll pull it off tho man! It's amazing what people get done when they have deadlines. Been there... Truck looks really great also!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom