BJ42 Exhaust reroute and vacuum canister relocate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I'm looking for advice on how to reroute my late-1980 BJ42's exhaust, and ideas of where to relocate the vacuum canister to. I've got a set of White Knuckle Off Road rock sliders coming in, and that means I can't have things hanging outside my frame rails.

The exhaust comes out on the right side of the engine (Driver's side in my truck because it's from NZ, but on US vehicles it would be passenger's side) so my idea was to run it parallel to the right frame rail on the inside. It looks like that would miss the transfer case (maybe), but I'm worried about the fuel tank. I want the truck to be streetable, so a side-dumping straight pipe won't fly. Has anyone else done something like that? How'd it turn out?

The vacuum canister is slightly easier with flexible hoses and that, but I still have questions. Again, I mostly would love to see what others have done to put their vacuum tanks in a more protected place. (the brackets on mine were definitely bent) My current canister seems to be intact and airtight, so I don't *need* to replace it, but it can't go back where it came from.

Thanks for the help, guys!

I currently have a 70 series vacuum tank on mine because my original developed a hole. The 70 series in stock form is under the hood so I'm sure you could find a spot to fit it under there. I wouldn't recommend using a tank that small... every now and then I lose some brake pressure. My exhaust exits just after the passenger door but still on the outside of the frame. I've only seen straight pipe modifications besides that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom