Birfield Rebuild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to be starting my axle rebuild tonight and ran into another FJ80 owner who said something about rebuilding the actual birf's. I'm planning on removing the axle from the birf and cleaning the old grease out (haven't determined if I'll need to tear apart the birf for cleaning). The truck's got 237k miles on it so I'm not thinking swapping sides will do much good at this point, if they're gonna go they're gonna go and I'm closer to replacement than swapping sides. Is there any rebuild option for the birf itself or just clean and repack?

Are they clicking, do they have grease? If they have grease in them and are not clicking, repack and go.

My truck has 200K and they got switched.
Get 2 new Circlips, an extra person, and piece of PVC and you can have them done in short time.
Keep BIRFs in grease, and don't beat them, and they will last a long time.
Ensure Inner Axle Seal has not worn a grove in Axle Shaft.

@Tools R Us - no clicking but (assumed) inner seal is leaking .. goops on outside of knuckle/brakes
@DieselDriver - I've heard they "consume" grease but I haven't torn into mine to see how they are. Parts could be cracked/worn but not in there yet to check
@Hornd - good call on getting new circlips and checking axle shaft/groove... will order asap

So what I'm hearing is no, there's no rebuild kit for the birfield itself, just clean, check for wear/breakage, repack, re-circlip and re-build and ride.

Lots of us swap left and right sides. Theory is that you are putting wear then on part that has not had wear before.

Trick is keeping track of sides when you are cleaning them. I leave a bolt in the end of driver side to keep track.

Lots of us swap left and right sides.....I leave a bolt in the end of driver side to keep track.
Maybe I'll do this after all, was hoping to leave on side buttoned up as reference if I needed it. But...bolt? where is there a bolt hole on the birf? maybe stick a strong magnet on the spindle end?

tip of the axle is threaded, brake bolt fits in nicely, also used to pull it into place after it's placed back in to place. Place, place, place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom