Birfield greaser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hate greasing the Birfs on our 450.
It's not hard to do, just time consuming and hand cramping pumping the grease gun.
Last time the birfs looked somewhat dry...
Soo, I came up with my own air assisted birf greasing tool.:idea:
It consists of an old 2" mountain bike inner tube, a tube of grease, and a plastic funnel.
I cut a section out of the innertube retaining the air valve.
I stretched the innertube over one end of the grease tube and zip tied it for extra security & then tied a knot in the tube above the existing valve stem.
At the other end of the grease tube, I simply held a funnel against the tube with the funnel discharge hole in the birf fill hole.
This is a 2 person job at this point, as one person will hold this greasing apparatus and the other person applys the compressor hose to the air valve on the innertube.
Viola, the grease is pushed into the birf in about <10 seconds!
birfield greaser.jpg

I purchased the air grease gun first, but the trigger broke on it.
I live 90 miles from a large city so resources are limited.
I had to improvise, adapt and overcome.
:)

Where does the gerbil go? :eek: Good outside-the-box thinking however. It's all good.

those gerbil pictures cost $3.99 each :D

I love it ! :beer::beer::beer:

Looks good to me! I have used the air pneumatic grease guns, but they are pretty slow for a job like this. I like your idea better :cool:

it it just me or is he using wheel bearing grease in that pic, hope your not putting that in your birfs.

Keeps the grease off of the mounting surface and out of the bolt holes so there's little or no cleanup before adding the gasket :cool:

OK got it... I thought there may have been something else going on there. I like the pneumatic grease guns... haven't picked one up yet though.

To the OP: Not meaning to sound like an A-hole, but why use a grease gun to fill the birf at all? I just either A: buy the moly grease in tubs and scoop it up and pack it in with a gloved hand or B: if I cant find it in a tub, I buy the tubes, slice them open and scoop in the grease with my hand.
Simple, effective and only one person required. :meh:

To the OP: Not meaning to sound like an A-hole, but why use a grease gun to fill the birf at all? I just either A: buy the moly grease in tubs and scoop it up and pack it in with a gloved hand or B: if I cant find it in a tub, I buy the tubes, slice them open and scoop in the grease with my hand.
Simple, effective and only one person required. :meh:

The way I read it this is for regular fill-ups through the plug hole, not during an axle service. I bet it would be hard and time consuming to push a tub of grease through the plug hole with a gloved hand! YMMV though! :cheers:

The way I read it this is for regular fill-ups through the plug hole, not during an axle service. I bet it would be hard and time consuming to push a tub of grease through the plug hole with a gloved hand! YMMV though! :cheers:

Well, when you got nothing but time... ;) I thought it was for a full birf job.

anyone here with a battery grease gun looking for feedback about those .. good idea or not . ?

I purchased an air powered grease gun in the beginning of the year to 'help' me with maint and my birf service.

What I didn't know is that the air powered guns are avail two ways 1) Single Shot - every pull of the trigger gives you a pump of grease. 2) Continuous - you pull the trigger and the grease runs 'till you let off !

So, if you need a bunch of grease and you have a single shot model, which I did, you have to pull the trigger a bunch and on the birf svc it was a pain.

This last week I sprung for the continuous version which should speed up grease delivery.

Purchased at McMaster Carr, see link.

McMaster-Carr

Hope this helps ?

Rgds...

seems like the sort of contraption I would be building... :)

I had the single shot pneumatic grease gun (for maintenance fills) and after about 400 squeezes of the trigger it broke - then it was time to put my thinking cap on and came up with the contraption you see in the picture.
Hey, it worked.
The continuous flow would be the ultimate fix though. Time to start shopping as I don't plan on building one of these fillers every few months.

of course, those of you/us still using manually powered grease guns have already realized that if you unscrew the connectors, fittings etc at the end of the hoses/tubes, the grease comes out easier, no doubt...

Plus on mine it fits looser in the knuckle access port, which makes it less likely to pressurize the thing while filling it, with less chance of having grease squirt out when you're done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom