Builds Big Red Toy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's weird to see the needle sit in the middle for a change.
20190610_123652.jpg

So pleasant surprise, My alarm works again. It hasn't worked in years. Apparently, all I needed to do was upgrade the electrical system and new batteries. Looks like I'll be doing some research into bright headlights soon.

Happy father's day y'all. My entire family got together for our yearly beach trip. Everyone from my 92 year old grandad to his great grand kids showed up to celebrate together.

IMG-20190615-WA0020.jpg

20190614_174317.jpg

20190615_143106.jpg

20190615_115511.jpg

Made it home from the beach. The temps were in the upper 90s all day. Drive back with the a.c. on half the time and running Between 65mph and 73. Oil temps were at 205 without the ac and 210 with it on. Can't complain too much, but it'll definitely be too hot if I start towing the trailer.

EDIT: water temps.

Last edited:
Any ideas if this triple pass radiator will cool more than the stock ones or am I just throwing money at parts?

or

Last edited:
205-210 oil temp is great. Nothing wrong there. What were water temps like?

205-210 oil temp is great. Nothing wrong there. What were water temps like?
That was the water temps. Sorry i was unclear. They could go up to 220 easily.

I took Big Red to a drive shaft shop this morning, looking for a shaft that can work at steeper angles and was referred to these guys.

I found out that at normal driving the slope of my front shaft is at 24 degrees and at a length of 28.75 inches. My front transfer case has a positive 9-degree angle. So it's kinda steep.

I also found out that Toyota has about 25 different size flanges. The 60 series measurements are as follow:
11mm ID Bolt Hole - 66mm x 66mm pattern.
(Fits 11/84'-1/90' FJ60/62 & 1/90'-97' FJ/FZJ80

Hopefully, that saves someone a bunch of time digging around.

Last edited:
I took Big Red to a drive shaft shop this morning, looking for a shaft that can work at steeper angles and was referred to these guys.

I found out that at normal driving the slope of my front shaft is at 24 degrees and at a length of 28.75 inches. My front transfer case has a positive 9-degree angle. So it's kinda steep.

I also found out that Toyota has about 25 different size flanges. The 60 series measurements are as follow:
11mm ID Bolt Hole - 66mm x 66mm pattern.
(Fits 11/84'-1/90' FJ60/62 & 1/90'-97' FJ/FZJ80

Hopefully, that saves someone a bunch of digging around.
Tom woods is where I have gotten custom shafts done for years. Their ordering process is pretty straight forward and will use Toyota u joints. Customer service is top notch also when you don’t really know what you need or have questions. Quick turnaround also.

Tom woods is where I have gotten custom shafts done for years. Their ordering process is pretty straight forward and will use Toyota u joints. Customer service is top notch also when you don’t really know what you need or have questions. Quick turnaround also.
I wrote them yesterday, still waiting for a response.

Spoke with Tom Woods about my front drive shaft issue. They don't recommend a double cardan setup as that will only give me a few degrees to work with and would max out at 35*. They suggested going with an offset U joint which is great from angles up to 40* but will vibrate for higher speeds. Anyone have any experience with this before I squeeze the trigger?

image001 (3).jpg

Decided to order the Tom Woods high flex front drive shaft with offset u joints. They are super nice and told me I can return it if I'm not happy with it. Should be here next week.

Big Red will be getting the six shooter steering arms installed next week.

Now looking at cooling. Thinking of this.

Anyone recommend it or used it?

Last edited:
Nice! I remember when I last called them I thought I knew what I needed. They had me do some more measuring so I would get it perfect.

Nice! I remember when I last called them I thought I knew what I needed. They had me do some more measuring so I would get it perfect.
They took the time to walk me through it. The other guy in California wanted $900 and would have me wait a month or two before I get it. Tom Woods will have it delivered on Thursday for half the price and they gave me a military discount.

They took the time to walk me through it. The other guy in California wanted $900 and would have me wait a month or two before I get it. Tom Woods will have it delivered on Thursday for half the price and they gave me a military discount.
Nice!
The "other guy in CA" being, High Angle DL?
Some nasty reviews floating around the inerwebs....

Nice!
The "other guy in CA" being, High Angle DL?
Some nasty reviews floating around the inerwebs....
That be him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom