Big Blue 62 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 62 did great with no issues. I got home late so I decided to leave it on the trailer so I could wash underneath it good the next day. I saw this the next morning:
982F50E5-0528-417E-8376-B3ABF203B11A.jpeg

4361D8FF-BD65-41E2-8AA9-30B5E8F9A689.jpeg
The upper radiator hose where it goes into the T-stat housing wasn’t fully tight. It was snug but wasn’t properly tightened. I’m very pleased with how well it did and I’m able to make a list of things it needs before the trip next year.
I’m going to take a couple weeks off then I’ll be tearing into the axles to install the airlockers.

I installed some pt cruiser seats. They turned out really well and I’m really happy with the look and how much better they feel. I’ll say that they do sit about 1/2” to an inch higher than the stock seats. These seats have lumbar support and arm rests which I really like. The color is nearly perfectly matched with the rest of the interior. I installed them similarly to what has been posted in the past except I welded the original feet to the slide on the pt cruiser seats.
This allowed me to get the measurements exact by being able to tack weld them in to check for fitment with only the mount & slide and not pulling the seat in and out several times. The bar across helped hold everything in place until I tack welded it. This was a easy job and as you can see in the pics, I shifted the seat back a couple inches too. I’m 6’4 so this is a great adjustment.
48CA243D-9C7A-4AC3-A62A-34E87B9EB6B0.jpeg

8DAA97E8-1E28-4784-ADE8-4E124D523DBE.jpeg

4738AB01-79E4-4F59-8741-4ABE26F01CCF.jpeg

A70968A5-AA33-4F79-A633-6B7E4EDDA47E.jpeg

A couple weeks ago while picking the kids up at school I noticed the brakes seemed to be really soft. Which reminded me that when we were at windrock, the brakes were gradually getting worse as the trip went on. I started at the master cylinder and noticed paint peeling off the booster and the MC was wet looking. So I replaced the MC and bled the brakes. No change.
6969E5D2-21D8-4D30-B947-3E9AFC2E7F4C.jpeg

EDA2FD01-BE60-4CDA-9210-B1B1610FC73B.jpeg

So next I jacked it up and pulled the tires off so I could get a better look at everything and better access to the bleeder screws.
I forgot to take a pic but the driver side drum was soaked and this is what I found when I pulled it off:
12D83880-90D5-4476-891A-2BE43A98E0F1.jpeg

7E8C9796-EA2B-4CA4-9F56-8FC187738A47.jpeg

At first I wasn’t sure if it was brake fluid or gear oil. Actually I was certain it was a bad axle seal but I was just hoping it wasn’t. I cleaned everything up and came back a few days later and confirmed it was a bad axle seal.
F522CA60-46CF-4883-AEB5-9BEEF1116CDC.jpeg

Thanks to @g-man for reaching out to me prior to tearing into the axle with some helpful info.
I tore into the axle yesterday and I knew it was going to be a learning experience because I’ve never been into a rear axle with a locker installed.
Took the cover off:
CAFA33E9-413B-4193-A3E8-8BC32BD21BA0.jpeg

Then did some reading to find out what kind of locker I have and how to remove it. Turns out it’s a lock right locker. There are several videos on youtube on how to remove or install them. The way you remove it is to first remove the bolt that holds the large center pin then knock out the pin. (This allows you to have access to the rest of the locker). Next you need to remove the 4 springs by pulling them up from the oval hole and remove them. (There is a small spring inside of the one you see so make sure you keep them together). The dowels just have to be slid back so they don’t engage both halves. Then I pushed both halves of the locker together to make room to push the C-clip on the pass side out. I then slid the axle shaft out which then gives you the room to remove the whole locker. This now gives you access to the driver side C-clip. I should have taken more pictures but I was focused on disassembly that I didn’t think about it.
DFFD5277-4F3B-47E0-8485-AFD4215C4C34.jpeg

After pulling the shafts, the driver side axle shaft has excessive wear at the outer bearing location. Should I find a good used shaft or is there a recommendation on a good replacement shaft? I’ve read where chromoly shafts are not recommended?
F4F1CA00-C470-4963-83DD-E47E1C15E9ED.jpeg

Used is your only option, no one is making new stock or chromoly replacements any more

Actually it looks like Nitro started making replacement shafts for 40 rear axles, so you can replace your right side shaft, that doesn't help you too much though :lol:

I found this on Nitro Gear and Axle’s website:

The only Full Float rearends offered by Toyota in the US were in Dually Pickups, and FZJ80 Land Cruiser, however Full float axles were much more popular worldwide in all models of Landcruisers and are commonly used as an upgrade for US models and otherwise:

So a quick update. I ended up buying 2 used driver side axle shafts because they were available and thought it would be good to have a spare shaft. Turns out only one was usable.
80AD6988-4DD6-4881-BCED-14DAD02D0452.jpeg

Installed the seals and bearings:
5091B3AB-2962-4608-B395-0B99C5B9CF40.jpeg

re-installed the locker:
2743BF68-9AAC-49D2-BBB7-0E31876C475F.jpeg

finished:
7BB1E17F-ED99-45B6-8BDD-3A9DEF61EA0D.jpeg

i took a quick drive around the neighborhood last night and everything seems to be working like it should. I’m hoping that I have the shims correct on the adjusters. I took some time here to ensure I had the correct washer installed. I’ll drive it around some more today.
It’s funny how this started with what I thought would have been a simple brake job.

Good work. Did you knock the bearing out by running a pipe through or using puller? What was wrong with the second axle? Guess it was a good thing you bought two.
I ended up having to replace my parking brake cable at the same time as all this. For some reason ...maybe it moving more or less but the cable was hanging up inside the sheathing so every time I pulled the parking brake I had to go back to the drivers rear wheel and pull at the bell crank to get it to return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom