Big Blue 62 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Time for an update. I have put in a lot of wrench time over the last couple months into the 62. A group of friends and I are planning a trip next year to the Rubicon trail so we are taking the rigs on a few rides before then to ensure all is working well and decide what we want to change. So after the work with the intake and valves I moved on to my list of must haves before our recent Windrock trip, which includes: the dual battery set up, National Luna install, auxiliary fuse block, ARB compressor with Front locker, Chromoly axle shafts, Knuckle rebuild, Rock lights, desmog the engine, spare tire, swap out water pump and all thermostat sensors, (temp sensor isn't working) speedo cable replacement, high beams not working and other odd and ends that don't work. I took almost 2 weeks off work to try to get this all done and it still wasn't enough time. First thing I did was put an order into stainless battery trays to see how the auxiliary battery was going to fit then over to @cruiseroutfit with all that you see here, then I desmogged the engine. here are a few pics of that.

49279282-C924-499C-822C-A11696631C41.jpeg

A32AA208-7B30-45B0-AB44-7170AF6D6B84.jpeg

639867E8-DF7A-41D9-A47D-684F45595C48.jpeg

Last edited:
Next I relocated the over flow bottle and worked on desmogging the engine so I could see how much room I would have for the fuse block and compressor. I used the @Spook50 cheat sheet on how to complete the desmog. It was a very easy procedure but It would have been better if I had decided to do this when I had the intake off. Either way, it was an easy thing to do and it idles/runs much better now. I changed out the speedo cable too while I had the dash removed. this was a very easy procedure as well. I did read where some had a problem with the rubber gasket and getting it to seat in the hole. I found that removing the bracket that is directly in front of it made it very easy to get the gasket to seat properly. Here are a few pics of that.

AAA076B0-3169-40E4-BA51-493FAE413D27.jpeg

EC1CF122-BAE4-4E78-9453-119FF42488FD.jpeg

Here is the bracket that I took loose to fit the speedo gasket. really easy.
E85A993C-F2C8-44FD-A58B-9499B304FB3A.jpeg

8F3E731A-88D1-4231-951C-C7DDDC9C40A2.jpeg

When are you guys going out west? Definitely account for time to do other trails/sights out there as well, Rubicon was great but I don't know if it is worth it to drive from this coast just for that.

I would agree. we are taking a month off and will be spending a week in Moab as well. We have several spots to hit on the way out there and back.

when is the trip? Do you need another somewhat local yahoo to join in?

The trip is in mid June. we are trying to avoid the jeep jamborees and the crowds that will start at the end of June and all of July.

So I ran Rubicon “backwards” from Tahoe to Loon in August, the same day Jeep Jamboree was leaving up Cadillac, and they purposely didn’t show it on the calendar. It was half the normal attendance and I had to park for four hours for them to all clear out. Highly recommend avoiding that.
I thought the way I ran it was awesome, the scenery and views once you get to Loon were awesome and I thought a great “end” to the trail rather then just being dumped out into a neighborhood.

Awesome advice. we have been watching and researching as much as we can as a group to get an idea of what to expect when we get out there so definitely feel free to share anything you think is worth sharing.
The majority of us have been wheeling since high school but we don't run hardcore rigs either. We are definitely looking forward to it. Thanks again for the info.
let me know if June is a good month or if you are only limited to August.

Ok, the next thing was finishing the desmog. Here is a pic of how I was able to get the brass plugs in -where the air rail once was. @Spook50 describes this in his write up but here is a pic. I had to go back and take this pic because I forgot to while I was actually doing it so the air intake tube is still shown installed but you will have to remove it to get to the ones in the back. I kept the valve cover on when I removed the air rail and installed the plugs.

85EF8ABC-5F14-46FD-8569-5430A58CB1AE.jpeg

190BA94B-89A1-4917-AF7D-767732F7957B.jpeg

C7988C82-6835-4DE3-BFDD-E3E9210A5887.jpeg

77BF327C-639F-4EA2-ACC5-7A8C4FCA8088.jpeg

Last edited:
Next was the install of the rock lights. I installed the pro comp 6 light set. I’m really thinking these lights will help out better during repairs on the trail at night then help me see obstacles. I could be wrong but they aren’t that bright and not sure how to reposition them to add anymore value. I fabbed up 4 brackets for the lights in the rear and the 2 in the middle. I drilled and tapped the frame on the ones in the middle and used a bracket in the rear. The ones in the front are just bolted directly to the underside of the fender.
D8154FF7-2066-48CA-90B5-501CC10B6251.jpeg

767D63F3-D142-4010-A236-EAD32AD70813.jpeg

FA8A5F73-C4A9-44D1-B0BA-304DE43509A5.jpeg

0CC10F0D-25CF-4C08-B95B-85FBE41646B3.jpeg

Next was to get the temp gauge working so off came the thermostat housing and while I was in there I decided to remove the water pump and change it out. Wow, what a job that turned out to be. I could not get the water pump off without removing the A/C compressor and brackets. To get to these you have to remove the power steering pump with bracket. (I left the pump attached to the bracket). I found the water temp sensor was broken completely at the plug. I ended up replacing all the sensors on the housing while I had it on my work bench. Now I have a working temp gauge. I didn’t take any pics of the water pump removal but it’s straight forward and not too difficult just time consuming.
Oh, Both of my tensioner pulleys had broken bolts so I bought some threaded rod that was 8mm x 1.25 and made my own bolt. this worked well.
C1756ACF-A134-4521-A63A-23B7F85E91F8.jpeg

F8D3338D-0DDD-4B9C-828B-309A40C2F151.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
We had a trip planned at windrock December 4th-8th. I was about a week out and knew I wouldn’t get the ARB airlockers installed in time so I installed the spare, buttoned everything else I was working on and prepped for the trip. Our group is scattered all over. 3 of us from GA and the other 2 from Ohio and Delaware. My buddy from Delaware has a very capable T100 with a solid front axle and a custom built rear axle, both with lockers. He built the flat bed, front bumper and sliders. We gave him hell for installing jeep taillights on it tho!
The other 2 in our group are just jeeps...

DEF676B3-404C-46FB-ABA0-E9F12C81B11E.jpeg

0ADAC770-8609-4E20-A83F-A70A911EE3F2.jpeg

I like your distribution terminals on the driver's side battery. Are there covers available for them? It'd clean up all the extra wiring on my battery considerably. Right now I have military terminals and long bolts for all the washers.
The terminals came with the National Luna kit and came without covers. I’ve been searching for 2 more to put on the passenger side battery and would be great if there were covers for them. I’ll post anything I find that’s close.

Found the terminals. Maybe this link works

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom