Best Complete FJ40 Tub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure what a 2F cover is? Most refer to the valve 2F cover. The transmission tunnel cover changed 9/72. This was with a three speed and F155 engine. I'm using one from 75/76 in my 68 when I added a four speed. My 70 still have a column and dash shifters. No holes in the transmission cover.

My plan is to do what some other mud members have done and mod to fit the 2F cover. It creates a larger opening. I think White Stripe's was the first place I saw this

I hate buying something brand new and then having to do mods. I imagine running a hard top would not have the correct fixed nuts to attach the sides? Back in the nineties knew of at least forty FJ40s in wrecking yards. Most had little rust and body damage instead. I was thinking of using 78 cowls on my 65 FJ45 and 73 FJ40 FST. I bought two from wrecking yards and a third was given to me. These are rust free cowls. Free one has body damage to the right side but dash is perfect. Changing Cowls prior to 1/79 is fairly to do. My first post said about staying steel in the Southwest. Been moving around a 60 year old tub in my RV area. If I had the matching front cowl would be a perfect patina cruiser. Looks rusted but it is a very light surface rust. Light sanding would take it off. Pictures are from 2008 and still looks the same.
IM000322.jpg
IM000324.jpg

Not sure what a 2F cover is? Most refer to the valve 2F cover. The transmission tunnel cover changed 9/72. This was with a three speed and F155 engine. I'm using one from 75/76 in my 68 when I added a four speed. My 70 still have a column and dash shifters. No holes in the transmission cover.
4 Speed cover I should have said. Editing it.

Here is the post I referenced
20170409_112453-756x1008-jpg.1437509

I have a fair amount of aqualu pics in my build thread. Aqualu also has many completed pics on the website. Almost nobody notices my tub is aluminum. When they find out they are usually excited to look at it closer. Much of it depends on the quality and time you take to install it.

I have a fair amount of aqualu pics in my build thread. Aqualu also has many completed pics on the website. Almost nobody notices my tub is aluminum. When they find out they are usually excited to look at it closer. Much of it depends on the quality and time you take to install it.
Can you provide a link to your build tread?

Are the steel parts from TPS a viable option?

I spoke to them on the phone. I would be buying the version they have coming out for the earlier FJ40s if I went this route.

My question is whether or not their body parts are worthy of using on a restoration. They are cheaper than the aluminum option and come painted. They would also have more FJ details. What have guys here experienced in regards to quality etc of their parts. Is there a reason that going this route is a bad idea?

There is a new option to USA … a company called Terra Tough USA

There were based in NZ for 30+ years 4wdFibreglass doing fiberglass bodies for all sorts of 4x4. Stevie has since moved to USA forming a new venture… new opportunities.

They are NOT TerraComp aka Malotte Manufacturing … they both start with Terra and that’s it… they are different companies

They will be doing early style cruisers and later cruisers and have fiberglass for all parts… full tub… windshield frames… doors … rear doors … tops… fenders … bibs… all of it

They are still getting their feet wet starting up but seem like a good option especially for the upper north east/ sea side, salt area cruisers.

Unlike Malotte and even Gozzard they have the factory ribbing in the floors

At the time I need to eventually get a new tub I will be most likely buying from them. I have heard very little negative from our NZ brethren and the owner Stevie seems genuine and knowledgeable

edited:

Last edited:
That's great to see another option. I will garage inside and drive this when the roads are good so salt won't be a big issue for me going forward.

I am trying to decide between steel and alu. I don't see much feedback on the steel option I posted above. Maybe its because they are too new of an enterprise for people to have much experience with them yet.

My Next build will be a TP complete Tub and Bed for a 45 :doh:

My question is whether or not their body parts are worthy of using on a restoration
What kind of restoration? Concourse with exact OEM details vs local car show quality vs nice Sunday driver...

These guys are somewhat new to the market here so not much direct experience quite yet.

I’m building a really nice Sunday driver. With mild off roaring upgrades
For this purpose, I would seriously look at TP's products. As an aside, I will be likely be buying panels/parts from them when I start on my 65 FJ45.

As for their complete, painted bodies, I would want to be more informed about the products and processes used for prep and paint. It would really suck to have rust bubbles start after a couple of years due to inadequate prep. For me, I want to choose how everything is prepped and painted including color.

This thread is a bit old, so apologize for digging it up, but Aqualu is not shutting down at the end of the year. The current owner, Todd, is simply working toward retirement but he is actively seeking new ownership to continue operations.

Was some poor communication by an ex staff member. 🙄

This thread is a bit old, so apologize for digging it up, but Aqualu is not shutting down at the end of the year. The current owner, Todd, is simply working toward retirement but he is actively seeking new ownership to continue operations.

Good to hear!

Dont tell my wife, I used that as my justification for buying my tub earlier than planned ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom