Best Complete FJ40 Tub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased an FJ40 and have been reading all I can about complete tubs. A lot of the info is dated so I was wondering what the highest quality, most accurate complete tub on the market is. I would like the tub to be as accurate as possible but this vehicle isn't going back to factory or a museum so I would take quality and durability over that.

Thanks for the help in advance!

I should add that my FJ is a 1970

Check with classic cruisers in Poncha springs or BTB products.

You can't beat aluminum for durability. I bought my Aqualu parts 18 years ago and they haven't rusted at all. I have a complete tub with cowl, windshield frame, front bib, front fenders, aprons, running boards, and a tailgate with storage for when the soft top is on. All made of aluminum. My FJ40 is a 1978. I use ambulance doors with the hardtop and the front doors are early doors ('73) for the vent window and cool door handles.

Last edited:
Read this thread. The earlier years are coming out in a month or two. Otherwise it's Cool Cruisers, Classic Cruisers or BTB, but they are probably all sourcing from the same place in south america somewhere.

You can't beat aluminum for durability. I bought my Aqualu parts 18 years ago and they haven't rusted at all. I have a complete tub with cowl, windshield frame, front bib, front fenders, aprons, running boards, and a tailgate with storage for when the soft top is on. All made of aluminum. My FJ40 is a 1978. I use ambulance doors with the hardtop and the front doors are early doors ('73) for the vent window and cool door handles.
Heard Aqualu is closing shop?

TP has shown that they are engaged with the market and users and have made adjustments to parts accordingly, FWIW.

I would buy aqualu, but I don’t have space or money or time, but they are shutting down at the end of they year. I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. They aren’t perfect, but they are strong, don’t rust, super reliable and popular. That’s the one I would order. If you do aqualu, order it soon because they are closing up shop soon

Is the best place to purchase an Aqualu direct from them or is there a preferred vender?

Is the best place to purchase an Aqualu direct from them or is there a preferred vender?

I ordered from a vendor, because, if you order directly thru Aqualu, you have to provide them your social security number to get the product across the border. The vendor is already setup for the shipping. Aqualu told me to use Cruiser Solutions (Ted), I believe they are in NH. Even after the order, Aqualu was answering my questions about my order, etc...

I ordered from a vendor, because, if you order directly thru Aqualu, you have to provide them your social security number to get the product across the border. The vendor is already setup for the shipping. Aqualu told me to use Cruiser Solutions (Ted), I believe they are in NH. Even after the order, Aqualu was answering my questions about my order, etc...
I ordered mine from Aqualu, Paige has been super helpful. I got one without the fuel take recess and with the access moved to the back to run a rear tank as a primary. I mailed them a check to avoid credit card foreign transaction fees and did have to provide my SSN for customs. Should be here Friday or early next week!

If I lived in the rust belt would probably go aluminum. But in the Southwest will keep original steel because of the interior details. Plus no special mods needed for combining steel and aluminum. Regardless would run extra grounds. Only ground issue on my 70 FJ40 is I see the license plate light flickers while idling. Ground is made to the tub thru the barn door hinges. Bought it from the original owner in 2011 and other than going thru the fuse block and fixing his trailer wiring have not needed to do anything to the wiring. If you use an aluminum tub and original barn doors would run a separate ground to the license plate light at the very least.

What kind of interior details do you lose with Aluminum?

What are the reports like on the TPS steel tubs and components? Are they good or are the Aqua sigfiicantly better?

I am thinking that if I am going to the work of a frame off and new tub may as well replace all body parts with new. Any downside to doing this? How do the Aqua parts like grill, front fender etc compare with factory?

If I wanted a new hard top it looks like TPS is the only option unless I am missing something.

What kind of interior details do you lose with Aluminum?

What are the reports like on the TPS steel tubs and components? Are they good or are the Aqua sigfiicantly better?

I am thinking that if I am going to the work of a frame off and new tub may as well replace all body parts with new. Any downside to doing this? How do the Aqua parts like grill, front fender etc compare with factory?

If I wanted a new hard top it looks like TPS is the only option unless I am missing something.
The most noticeable thing is the tub does not have the stamped ribs. I plan to run mats front and back so no one will see it save for the inner fenders.

I am just doing a 3/4 tub. Keeping steel fenders and hood. Regarding the tubs, from the outside the biggest tell is usually when people run their tailgate vs OEM with the depressions. I plan to keep these steel with the factory hinges. I think there are some details on the cowl not included. Im not using their front end components.

The transmission cover lacks most of the details of original cover. Pretty much everything on the floors and wheel wells have ribs original. Aluminum everything is just flat. Unless it changes the dash is just flat. Believe the glovebox is the only thing cut unless you can order it cut for the instrument cluster. But will not have stamped recess like original. Holes for knobs aren't there. Most of those originally have a notch to index and line things up. Believe some use their original cowl to keep a more original look. Can cover floors and wheel wells but dash it's hard to hide anything not OEM.

Last edited:
You can weld in fake ribs too.

There's some seams That are missing.

Hindsight being what it is, and the extent I've bastardized my 40, I kinda wish I would've started from a garbage can full of rust and a title.

The transmission cover lacks most of the details of original cover. Pretty much everything on the floors and wheel wells have ribs original. Aluminum everything is just flat.
My plan is to do what some other mud members have done and mod to fit the *4 speed* cover. It creates a larger opening. I think White Stripe's was the first place I saw this

Last edited:
How are the TPS steel products? I assume they have all those details as they are stamped steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom