Basecramp Trailer Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a Fruehauf 4x6 enclosed trailer. With the expedition trailers becoming a new thing, I thought I'd see what I could make happen with it. Her name shall be "Basecramp". The purpose is:
  • For our little family to have a place to hideout when it rains while we are camping (small dinette-style seating)
  • Cozy enough my wife might join us for an adventure or two (less primitive feeling...maybe)
  • A place when we do more campground-based camping, we don't have to pack up camp to explore in the lx or go somewhere. Just unhook, lock it up, and roll.
  • Capable enough to do light-duty trails and pulls easy on the highway (hope to get stance close to the tow vehicle).
The foundation of the trailer is that it's a 4x6' enclosed trailer. Short steel tongue and aluminum box cargo part. It's a pretty substantial box as it is designed like their 18 wheeler trailers. 3500# single axle. It was originally used as a rental trailer then as a church's mission trip trailer.

My initial wishlist:

• Body that I don't worry much about
  • Can sleep two adults (under 6') or an adult and my two big kids
  • Can seat 3 adults or our family of five with table option
  • A/T tires of 33" +
  • Extended hitch
  • Roof rack with rooftop tent
  • 12v setup for small led interior lights and a few exteriors
  • Rotopax for emergency fuel + emergency water
  • Fantastic fan
  • Awning
  • Trailer stabilizer jacks
  • Fold-down cooking & prep tables on back doors
  • Storage for camping
  • Durable floor that can get wet/muddy and wiped clean
Current items I have purchased or already own:
  • BFG M/Ts (recent purchase from @wngrog off of @under_psi 's 40)
  • Thule roof rack with fairing, two bike mounts, and a folding kayak rack
  • Rotopax mounts

Here's what she looked like in all her crappy glory when I picked her up-

IMG_1998.JPG

Seems to be built well for a small enclosed trailer.

IMG_1999.JPG

The name makes more sense now, right?
IMG_2001.JPG

IMG_2006.JPG

So I'll document my build here. Likely, I'll ask lots of questions because I'm learning as I go. If you have suggestions or recommendations, bring them on!

Just scrubbing it is an improvement, neat concept

(Feed your dog...... especially if he likes rubber)

This guys trailer was posted on facebook because it was stolen, but it looks like the direction you're going in. I'm wanting to do either a 4x6 cargo or a pioneer tool trailer.
17190481_1308006729277125_1569758470116004540_n.jpg

Sub'd. Very interesting

I started assembling some of the seating for the L shaped dinette.

IMG_2429.JPG

Prob going to leave the end open for jerry cans and when I need to tote longer items. Both seats flip up for storage.

Went ahead and installed a cleat to see if the sleeping platform would work out. Needless to say, there will be some camping going on tonight...in the driveway.

IMG_2547.JPG

Also got the bearings and races replaced in the axle. Next up, replacing and subfloor and floor covering and re-wiring and replacing lights.

Did some sketching in google draw to give myself an idea of where I am headed.

IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_2559.JPG

Went and picked up pressure treated sheet of 4x8 1/2" plywood to cover pre-existing plywood floor for just a little added rigidity and smooth surface for theLVT. I got some plank LVT in a gray oak color that are simply peel and stick. That way, if I booger it up, rip it off, stick another down.

Once I'm done with installing the above, I have to figure out my walls. My plan is to insulate it and then do a thin (1/4") plywood with a gloss white plastic/poly based hardboard looking sheet on top (can't remember name. They offer it at lowes). Just got to figure out what to use for insulation. Will easily have 1.5" of air between aluminum wall and interior wall. I've done some reading on insulation, including things like sprinter vans. I really just don't know what I'm doing with R values. :ninja:

As always, comments and advice welcome. I'm just learning as I go.

Last edited:
You may not want to do pressure treated due to chemicals/fumes in a small space. Good work so far.

Also there are some teardrop forums and websites for some ideas.

IMG_2599.JPG

First tow since tires/wheels, bearings, races, new lights, wiring, and taking the advice of @wngrog and airing down to about 25psi. She pulled like a dream. No more tire hop.

Now I have to consider flipping those springs on top of axle. When she flexes, she's really close.

regardless, it feels good when stuff actually works like it's supposed. Especially when an ameratuer is doing it.

Looking Good! I like the idea of what you are doing alot!!

You guys have any suggestions for sourcing rubber in the Jackson area? @wngrog suggested I try to find rubber blocks to fill in the gaps for my Thule bars on my trailer but I'm struggling to find someone local that would have such a thing.
IMG_2460.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom