Bannana needs help. 30mm crank bolt siezed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all.
I dug into the big three oil leaks today. Been going pretty fast, but now stuck. The 30mm bolt for the crank seal won't budge.

I'm using the tie the 3/4 breaker bar to the frame rail, but all that happens is the impact, then nothing.
I've hit it about 5 times. 1 sec bump, then key off.

I've shot it with penetrating oil/gonna let it soak overnight...

so...what are my options if that done't work?

Will I hurt anything if I keep bumping it?

1. seal it all back up. drive it somewhere? (and or forget about it for now)
2. pull the radiator and use impact gun?
3. the mysto SST? (anyome near by to bay area have one?) OR does anyone have plans for one that I can take to a welder?
4. quietly swear in the driveway and try to use the force?

many thanks in advance?

Is your battery fully charged? If that doesn't do it, your probably in for a rough time :(

Rough times ahead!!!! Ha!

If you need a welder(machine) I got you. But other than that I'm zero help.

The method you described never worked for me either, and I had jumpers connected to another running vehicle too.

A 3/4-1" pnuematic impact wrench set to max pressure will set you free.

Don't waste your time with any more penetrant release spray. It won't penetrate the parts that are stuck.

Put your 3/4" Breaker Bar on there and get a 4-5' section of pipe and have another person help you push or pull.

Looking for that magic impact wrench to rent. No Beuno in Oakland so far.

Will a harbor freight 3/4" impact gun work???

Last edited:
Seriously, why f@ck around with the breaker bar? I used a 1/2 drive Campbell Hausfeld Impact gun last time...has 450lb-ft of reverse torque. Took the bolt right off

X2 on the fully charged battery. Is the breaker bar tied under the frame? I disconnected the main distributor wire (just incase the engine would start). Give it more than a second bump. The sound scared the $hit out of me when I bumped the starter!
Also, I did not use a SST to tighten it up. An impact socket in the flywheel inspection cover worked.

harbor freight 3/4 will work.

IMG_3375.JPG

Yeah. my 3/4 breaker tied to the frame. no workie. full battery. even tried jumping with second truck. no breakie loose.

Now looking for a 3/4 impact gun...HF has one for $250 + have to nab a compressor...(have one at work I can use).

To use impact gun, I have to pull radiator out correct? heater core? what else?

X2 on the fully charged battery. Is the breaker bar tied under the frame? I disconnected the main distributor wire (just incase the engine would start). Give it more than a second bump. The sound scared the $hit out of me when I bumped the starter!
Also, I did not use a SST to tighten it up. An impact socket in the flywheel inspection cover worked.
Yeah...I bump banged the S%$# out of it...bangs then spooky silence...

Just saying what worked for me:

3/4" breaker bar (Harbor Freight)
4ft pipe. (Had my dad hold the hood open so it would fit)
14mm deep socket impact socket on transmission bolt to hold it still
I had to really use all my strength on the pipe to break mine.

Just saying what worked for me:

3/4" breaker bar (Harbor Freight)
4ft pipe. (Had my dad hold the hood open so it would fit)
14mm deep socket impact socket on transmission bolt to hold it still
I had to really use all my strength on the pipe to break mine.

that works to get it off? that is how I was planning to get it back on (except for using a torque wrench) Bummer I just cut my 4' pipe to make the torque multiplier this morning...

Yeah. my 3/4 breaker tied to the frame. no workie. ...

Likely the "tied to the frame" part is the problem. There needs to be an impact to have best chance of working. Like the breaker bar hanging down, the motor spin a bit to gain momentum, then impact the frame. That said, we have removed everyone that we have done, (many) with an IR231.

Remove the radiator and that's it to get impact in, agree with tools you need the breaker bar to swing a little

Lucky you. Neither my snap-on or craftsman professional 1/2 budged mine.
Yeah I bought the cheap high power Campbell Hausfeld because my Crapsman wasn't doing the job, wasn't rated for as much torque either. I stopped buying Craftsman tools, my last several craftsman purchases have been disappointing. My 300+ piece tool set rusted near instantly when exposed to the moisture and they wouldn't take it back even though the receipt was 2 days old, my impact was gutless, my air ratchet broke within a few months, my torque wrenches don't stay calibrated for crap and they only have a year warranty. My 1/2 ratchet cost me a trip to the ER when the selector lever popped off while tightening a suspension bolt and hit me in the eye scratching my lens. Terrible experience with them so far, all their crap is made in China anymore anyway. Sorry for the rant, I obviously have hard feelings toward the product. Anyway, I don't care for CH tools either, it was cheap and worth a shot and it worked. My last resort was going to borrow my brothers 1/2 Ingersol Rand....that thing puts out some crazy lb-ft of torque something like 600lb-ft

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom