Back of FJ62 is not level [please help] (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

I've my FJ62 for about a year, it has new tires and OME shocks. Its also be balanced and aligned. However, every time I look at it from the back I swear it's not level and today I put a level on it and it's certainly not level. Does anyone know what would contribute to this? Is it my suspension? Is it something easy to adjust? Photo below:

Left side is high than right.

Image 2019-04-05 at 8.26.57 AM.png

Look for broken springs and worn hanger bushings.

An AAL may be too much in this case. After replacing all bushings in the rear springs, you could try swapping the springs left to right. While the springs are out of the truck, check the 'free height' of the springs and inspect closely for broken leaves and missing slippers between the leaves.

Thanks for all the advice folks, I'll be swinging my the mechanic to have him look for the springs and bushings to see what's up. Hope it's not a big deal.

cruisers seem to have some lean to them anyhow. But that looks more than i'd want.

If the springs are original you may want to look at replacing them, My old springs were absolute garbage. So flat and saggy. And they don't sag evenly.

But springs is not something you do on one side alone. It's typically all four corners.

cruisers seem to have some lean to them anyhow. But that looks more than i'd want.

If the springs are original you may want to look at replacing them, My old springs were absolute garbage. So flat and saggy. And they don't sag evenly.

But springs is not something you do on one side alone. It's typically all four corners.

Do you have any suggestions for good spring replacements that aren't crazy expensive? I did just invest in new OME Nitro Shocks which made the truck drive 100% better than it used to.

Cruiser lean, bet it’s fine when you sit in it!

Springs are expensive. I put junkyard HJ61 springs in my FJ62, and put OME AALs from Cruiser Outfitters in the rear springs along with slightly longer shackles. Rides well, is level, and was cheap. Might put OME in it when needed. I run 31" tires and don't want a big lift.

Note that taking apart spring packs and cleaning/painting, etc. is a dirty job, but it's fun when the result is good.

Do you have any suggestions for good spring replacements that aren't crazy expensive? I did just invest in new OME Nitro Shocks which made the truck drive 100% better than it used to.
Yes and No.

Keeping your leafs is the cheapest if money is tight. You just have to really look them over to ensure the pack hasn't shifted or there is broken leafs. You can keep using the cruiser if just a sag and save your money for new four springs.

You are in a big centre. I am sure there is a spring shop around Miami. They make springs for vehicles. They would be able to repair or add a leaf etc if need be.

But as fas as custom goes there are a few brands out there and it's a few grand. Only worth it if you plan to keep your cruiser long term and work out all the worn out items. Remember this a forum of enthusiasts and many won't sell there cruisers, or spend and sell anyhow.... lol.

I've had my 60 16 years. SO I spend money beyond it's value all the time.

If you are cheap and you can do this yourself then it's just laborious:

Pull spring packs, pull them apart and set each specific spring next to it's matching counter part. You may find you have a specific spring that is sagging more than others.

Gauge the individual leaves then assemble them back together. Here is where you can swap the matching spring with it's counterpart to mess with the packs. Put them all back together with new bushings.

If that doesn't fix it then it's time to look at an add a leaf on one side. Measure before and after ride height and keep your measurements.

All my friends thought I was crazy when I told them I fix leaf springs at home. Now they bring stuff over when they have an issue.

I made a jig for my HF 12 ton press out of some angle iron. I use a small block of steel (Overload leaf spacer from an old 1 ton truck) to massage the arch back into the leafs. You have to go a little too far because they settle. Sometimes it takes a few months of back and forth to get it right but once you do, things are good.

I lay them on their edge on a concrete floor and draw a line around the whole pack. Then I take it apart and do each leaf making sure I keep the same arch all along the leaf. If you go too far, you can undo some but it takes a minute to figure out just how far to go. Once I get them back together, I draw a line around the whole pack again just to compare how they look and make sure I didn't change the pinion angle by tilting the center of the spring pack.

I've done everything from Cruiser leafs to Cummins Dodge leafs 1/2 inch thick.

All my friends thought I was crazy when I told them I fix leaf springs at home. Now they bring stuff over when they have an issue.

I made a jig for my HF 12 ton press out of some angle iron. I use a small block of steel (Overload leaf spacer from an old 1 ton truck) to massage the arch back into the leafs. You have to go a little too far because they settle. Sometimes it takes a few months of back and forth to get it right but once you do, things are good.

I lay them on their edge on a concrete floor and draw a line around the whole pack. Then I take it apart and do each leaf making sure I keep the same arch all along the leaf. If you go too far, you can undo some but it takes a minute to figure out just how far to go. Once I get them back together, I draw a line around the whole pack again just to compare how they look and make sure I didn't change the pinion angle by tilting the center of the spring pack.

I've done everything from Cruiser leafs to Cummins Dodge leafs 1/2 inch thick.

Hmmm, that’s interesting. Never heard of someone re-arching springs at home. Not sure I would ever do it myself but would love to see a pic of the setup you have on your press for doing this.

Thanks,
Ed

All I can add is the springs are the same price as the shocks. So if you got OME shocks, the front springs
cost the same as shocks, the rears are a bit more. New springs can have a difference, but turn them over onto the eyes on a flat floor and just check they are arced equally.
But if those are old springs, then they need to be replaced.

Old springs can last you if you add a leaf. But you will not be happy in 3 years when one cracks and you finally have to upgrade. You can get by if you are on a tight budget but new springs will save you the headache down the line.

My jig is just angle iron welded to the press crossbar so the spring spans the gap between the angle pieces. Easy to make, just no pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom