@Ayunes Overhead mount for ScanGauge. Excellent. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is there any way that an insert can made to fit a garage door version? I always assumed that the whole “module” just popped out. Can you give us an idea why it won’t work and maybe if there is a way that @Ayune could modify? I doubt I am the only one interested.

I suppose it has yet to be determined if there are different versions/variations between year models and the L/C vs. LX. But....IF the garage door opener version of the overhead is as mine was (HomeLink)...then a resourceful person might be able to cut out an opening that would fit the current insert.

The insert has a rebated rim around the circumference...so logically it could be epoxied/glued to the modified overhead. You would not have the screw mounts on the back to hold it in place and indeed they might even be in the way, I don't know. I didn't explore that possibility with mine, just purchased the correct fitting part.

If I had another insert in hand...I could find the answer in short order. I think it could be done...but you would need to be pretty accurate with your cuts if you wanted it to look good. I would certainly cut the opening undersized and then finish the dimensions by grinding or sanding.

Last edited:
Possibly a difference between the L/C and an LX (mine is an LX) but that would seem unlikely? Year models also might show differences.

There is NO way the insert would work with the overhead I removed (99 LX470 with garage door opener). The openings are completely different (both in size and location). The unit with the sunglass holder is much wider and taller (going nearly to the edges of the overhead). So this is

My 2000 Toyota LC does not have the Lexus style HomeLink, it has a flat panel that your own garage door opener would go behind. The set up is different than the LX. I don’t believe you could insert @Ayune piece without modifications of your own.

My 2000 Toyota LC does not have the Lexus style HomeLink, it has a flat panel that your own garage door opener would go behind. The set up is different than the LX. I don’t believe you could insert @Ayune piece without modifications of your own.

So maybe now we are getting it narrowed down. The insert will NOT fit an overhead equipped with 'Homelink' but should work fine with overheads that have either the sunglass holder or garage door opener 'cubby'.

IF this is the case...I will need to go back and edit certain other posts to reflect this.

Wow, this kinda took off didn't it... Sorry for coming late to the party, but indeed I've created this mount and I'll be offering it for sale shortly. I'll start a separate thread as soon as I figure out the logistics, thanks for your patience.

First, to clarify fitment:

- The mount fits the ScanGauge II only, not the smaller ScanGauge E.

- YES, it will fit the console pictured below which has a hinged compartment for an owner's garage door opener:
IMG_9490.jpg

- MAYBE it will fit the console pictured below with a hinged sunglasses pocket & Homelink (@Raj Singh has graciously agreed to send me his console to confirm fitment, I'll update once I get it):
IMG_2926.JPG

- NO, it will not fit the console below with Homelink:
IMG_2928.JPG

@od4x4 Regarding fitting to the above console, the small Homelink panel isn't big enough for a mount-from-above part, but I could possibly design a part that mounts from below into a larger opening that a brave owner is willing to cut into their console. This new part would have a wide lip around its edge to cover the rough edges of the new cutout. I would need to get a console like this in my hands to measure and confirm fitment, is anyone willing to part with theirs for a couple weeks?

Regarding price, the mount alone costs me about $140 from the 3D printers, before shipping. The added parts (switch, LED lights, RJ45 extension cable & coupling, wiring, shipping) adds another $42, so all together this is about a $190 item before any contributions to my kids' college funds. Good thing I have a day job for that...

My plan is to offer two kits:
- Mount only without lights or switch
- Mount with LED lights and switch

Again, I'll be posting a formal thread on how to purchase soon. And thank you all for your interest!

@TLEXAS @hatchethead @Hokie LX @mrahc @BlueMica @LostAfrican @flintknapper @thatcabledude @TEC3 @half k cruiser @Higgin @heymarv

Last edited:
Interested in mount without lights or switch

@Ayune i think that you have nailed it on the head. Garage door holder vs. Homelink seems to be the confusion. I was staring at the Garage Door Opener holder on my 2001 LC trying to figure out how it could be different... and as you have confirmed it is not! That is awesome and I definitely want one!!!

Do you think there is enough room to put an Spod style switch panel up there instead of the Scanguage? While I like the idea of an out if the way for the scan gauge, switch locations up there would be even better. That said... anything is better than the unused space that is currently there so if the only option is ScanGuage then I am in.

Very interested to see if it fits the version with hinged sunglasses pocket & Homelink!

I bet the smaller ScanGuage E would fit an overhead with the early version of 'HomeLink' if an insert were made for it. But most folks will want the larger unit.

IMG_2928.JPG

Wow, this kinda took off didn't it... Sorry for coming late to the party, but indeed I've created this mount and I'll be offering it for sale shortly. I'll start a separate thread as soon as I figure out the logistics, thanks for your patience.

- YES, it will fit the console pictured below which has a hinged compartment for an owner's garage door opener:
View attachment 1840266

- MAYBE it will fit the console pictured below with a hinged sunglasses pocket & Homelink (@Raj Singh has graciously agreed to send me his console to confirm fitment, I'll update once I get it):
View attachment 1840264

View attachment 1840265
@od4x4 Regarding fitting to the above console, the small Homelink panel isn't big enough for a mount-from-above part, but I could possibly design a part that mounts from below into a larger opening that a brave owner is willing to cut into their console. This new part would have a wide lip around its edge to cover the rough edges of the new cutout. I would need to get a console like this in my hands to measure and confirm fitment, is anyone willing to part with theirs for a couple weeks?

Regarding price, the mount alone costs me about $140 from the 3D printers, before shipping. The added parts (switch, LED lights, RJ45 extension cable & coupling, wiring, shipping) adds another $42, so all together this is about a $190 item before any contributions to my kids' college funds. Good thing I have a day job for that...

My plan is to offer two kits:
- Mount only without lights or switch
- Mount with LED lights and switch

Again, I'll be posting a formal thread on how to purchase soon. And thank you all for your interest!

@TLEXAS @hatchethead @Hokie LX @mrahc @BlueMica @LostAfrican @flintknapper @thatcabledude @TEC3 @half k cruiser @Higgin @heymarv

@Ayune <~~~ Interested. I would go for the mount without the little lights. I have the PFRAN LED kit and the map lights are plenty for me. Plus it will address that useless area which usually accommodates my wifes sunglasses.... Will you leave it up to the buyer to match interior color?

Looking forward to it!!!

@Ayune <~~~ Interested. I would go for the mount without the little lights. I have the PFRAN LED kit and the map lights are plenty for me.

The map light feature is something I like. It isn't intended to supplement/replace the existing map lights, but rather to provide a less intense light (useful when driving) as it helps preserve your night vision. Gives you options when parked as well.

Would it fit my 03 LX470? Is it possible to make one without the lights as this console already has lights. Thanks. Nice product!
CA7CF35C-8D0D-42E4-8BAC-3D692E2F4DB8.jpeg

Would it fit my 03 LX470? Is it possible to make one without the lights as this console already has lights. Thanks. Nice product!View attachment 1860761
I’m waiting to get my hands on a console like that to test fitment. Looks to be similar but I can’t say yet if it’ll drop in.

I’m waiting to get my hands on a console like that to test fitment. Looks to be similar but I can’t say yet if it’ll drop in.

Anyone with that console could just trace out a template of paper and send that to you. The real question would be how the factory insert attaches at the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom