Attic storage/organization options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do any of you have attic storage options in your vehicle over the cargo area? I have seen some use a wire system and others use a netting system. I'd love to be able to find something that I could use in the cargo window areas to store things and get them up off the floor or out of a box for easy accessibility.
I have seen someone have metal pieces to go in the windows but I am thinking the metal will rub or rattle so Id prefer to not have that.

Just curious to know what you have.
Oh yeah, I have a GX 470 so also curious if the 4runner or Land Cruiser options would work for mine.

I've seen somewhere that someone used one for a Landcruiser and it worked great. I can't remember where they got it though.

The cheapest is a cargo net but not all that effective.

In the 80 Series section you can find people who have used wired closet shelving that is tied up to the grab handles. Relatively cheap and easy.

If you are a good wood worker and can deal with creaking and squeaking noises then you can build a wood tray that hinges down. I have seen that in the 80's section as well.

I saw some on blue ridge overland gear website and after doing a search found some made by graingler or something with a G.
I'm not any good with wood or power tools. If I can't do it with a socket or screwdriver I am pretty worthless with it.

Thanks for the recommendations. Just want a place to keep rain jackets, hats, etc.

That's a great thread and I think I've got a few ideas to make it work for me. The 2x4 panels look sturdy but I'm thinking the lip on the shelving and smaller gaps would be better for what I'm planning to do.
Thank you for the thread link!!!!

Thanks, I saw it on Blue ridge overland gear. I ended up building something from the other link posted. If it doesn't work out I will go with the blue ridge attic.
Susan Wright

Just an update... I ended up making an attic in my GX using closet shelving ideas from the thread for the 80. Mine isn't all that pretty but I made a trip to my hometown 100 miles away and back and didn't have any issues with rattling or rubbing noises. I may add some cheap bungee straps to it to secure things from sliding off if they aren't packed between the shelf and the roof. It doesn't block the rearview mirror. I plan to find some carabiner to hang ball caps from so they don't loose their shape.

I posted some pictures on the GXOR facebook page. Not trying to take anything away from here but I've struggled getting pictures loaded on here and haven't figured out how to do it again from my phone.

Make it as secured as possible and then an it more. When you get off road stuff will come lose that you thought you had tight. I might be learning this tomorrow since I had to drop off my trailer due to a suspension problem.

Just got back from driving over 900 miles off pavement, some dirt roads at 40+ mph and some rough roads in 4low, I had stuff strapped in and tied down, some stuff did great, some moved. I am going to do something like you did, maybe order one for 100 series

Mine is holding up so far so good but I do believe over time I may need to readjust. My bags I got from the military surplus store came in handy this past weekend on the ride. I even clipped my handheld CB to the pack to keep it from sliding around on the seat and higher up so I could hear it. I do want to get a cb antenna hooked up so I can hear better. Some people I was unable to hear them. I have a magnetic antenna and a firestick antenna but I think I'd like to get the magnetic one set up so I can have it less permanent.

I just emailed Blue Ridge to see if they are planning on making anything specific to the GX. I will let you know if I get a response!

I personally would go with the LC version they have because it is smaller but do not like the idea of having it attach to the grab handles and be hanging over people's heads or over the dog when he is in the backseat. I'd love to try it I'm just not wanting to drop a $100 bill and then shipping to try it out. I am cheap and never want to be the guinea pig but I'd love to see it firsthand in other people's vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom