April 2012 monthly trail run (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anybody feel like picking up a hitch hiker? I'd love to join, if anyone has room that is. I'll be in Tucson for 5 days, and don't have plans this weekend. My 40 is in Boise, or I'd definitely bring it. Let me know... thanks!!!

I am sure someone will have a seat for you :cheers:

I get there Thursday night and I'll be there till Tuesday morning. I am usually in Tucson for about a week every month. I come to spend time with my girlfriend, but she works on Sunday, so I don't have much going on! I met Sean and a couple other 40 guys last time I was there.

Can anyone post some details (i.e. trail route) if it is possible to catch up to the group if I can not make the 9am meeting time? Thanks
I've been through that area a few times, and will be heading in from cottonwood canyon road (north) at about 10:00, it should be easy to meet up with the group by the Martinez turnoff or shortly after.

Is a permit reqired? I was just looking a the wells 4x4 book which mentioned it...

Can't make it.
No money to fuel the 80. :(

Come on now, you gotta make it sound technical. It's a fuel delivery issue.:hillbilly:

Yes, state trust permit.

ok so if its a permit required , then how do we go about getting one before tomorrow. or do you think we can get away without it

You have to send away by mail, so there is no way you'll get one before tomorrow. FWIW they are quick to turn it around.

One of my coworkers who wheels in this area a lot and attends many land use meetings suggests that if you want to attend a run, but do not have the permit back yet, it would serve you well to fill out the application form and then make a copy of it, the signed check, and a stamped envelope before you send it. Then carry it with you. Supposedly law enforcement will sometimes see this as a reasonable attempt and will let it fly, especially if the rest of the group is in compliance. This is what I was told by a credible source, but I have no experience.

Last time I did Box Canyon (2006) people generally were under the impression that as long as you stayed on the roads and didn't stop to picnic or camp you were okay. But reading some more recent threads by Tools R Us suggests this may not be true anymore.

got table?

FYi - need folding tables for the lunch pot luck. Please bring what you have.

ok so if its a permit required , then how do we go about getting one before tomorrow. or do you think we can get away without it
Both the access via Price Rd and Box Canyon proper do drive on STL. I have been up there about 6 times in the last year, and I have not seen any STL signs posted anywhere along that route. It is just the opposite to the north on Cottonwood Canyon entrance, as it is well posted. I have not seen or heard of anyone being stopped/cited for not having a STL Permit in either area, although Az Game and Fish is frequently in the area, and they do have the authority on STL. While there is certainly no guarantee, I would be willing to bet that there is very little chance you will get cited unless you are already being stopped for another reason, such as DUI or speeding. I do support the STL Permit Program by keep current every year, and I would think that as dtchevy42 suggested, carrying a copy of your pending application would suffice if you were stopped. The permit is less than $2 per month to have the peace of mind that you won't have to worry about it. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom