Anyone running 285/75/16 without lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have stock height OME springs and Bilstein shocks (so slight lift). Looking to get a little bigger tire. Amazon and Tire Rack tell me the 285/75/16 won't fit.

Does anyone have larger tires without lift? I assume yes, but wanted first hand account before I spring for some tires.

I'm running BFG KO2's LT 285 75 16 on my stock FJ 80 with Bilstein 4600's. (94 wheels on a 92 Land Cruiser).
FYI, go to "Clubhouse", "Ohio Buckeye Birfield", "Central Ohio Land Cruiser meet up" thread if you are interested.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I had BFG K2's, while they look great and last a long time, they are too noisy for me. I have 1" Dobinson/OME lift, and looking to get 295/75R/16, hopefully there's no rubbing and can turn to the tightest steering as well. Trying to narrow down the tires from Nitto Ridge Grappler, Goodyear Duratrac, Falken Wildpeak, what are you guys experience with them? I know the actual diameter will vary slightly from manufacturers.

I had BFG K2's, while they look great and last a long time, they are too noisy for me. I have 1" Dobinson/OME lift, and looking to get 295/75R/16, hopefully there's no rubbing and can turn to the tightest steering as well. Trying to narrow down the tires from Nitto Ridge Grappler, Goodyear Duratrac, Falken Wildpeak, what are you guys experience with them? I know the actual diameter will vary slightly from manufacturers.

The 295/75r16 size is not a very popular size, not made by all manufactures, has limited availability and higher prices. A better tire would be a 285/75r16 which is nearly identical size, much more availability and lower prices. What you want to avoid is getting a tire damaged and have to wait multiple days to get a replacement. The 285 tires will be inventoried at most tire shops or available from a local warehouse same day. Not so much for 295 sizes.

As many have stated, I also run 285/75/R16s with no rubbing, spacers, or issues. Marked improvement in looks, slight improvement in clearance, minimal detriment to gas mileage or steering geometry. I bought five and the fifth fits fine in the spare slot, including with the "raised spare tire".

Ok 285/75/R16 it is! Now any experience with the three brands I listed above? I had KO'2's, currently Nitto Ridge Grappler, want to know if I should try something else. I don't crawl rocks, just occasional rural roads, nothing wild.

I’m a fan of nittos as well (running a set of terra graps now on 80) but have been really impressed with the fallen wild peak AT3s on a Tacoma too though. Have 50k miles on them and tread left. Quiet on road. Don’t wheel it as a work truck but proven better traction over others in the same environments. They are e rated so heavy tire for taco but what you’d probably want for an 80.

got some new 16” wheels from nomad and put 285/75 geolander a/t’s. stock height dobinsons suspension that’s probably about 4 years old.
5AEC0EBF-842D-4151-8C91-FC5A36014D0F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom