Builds Another Prado in Montana (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The new MAP sensor arrived today! I popped it in, cleared the codes and went for a test drive. The engine takes quite a while to build boost (not sure of rpms since I don't have a working tach yet) but when it does it hits hard and pulls like crazy, 18+ psi on the Stage 1. I easily hit 100 km/h in 4th, and it cruises nicely at 115. EGT's didn't get above 1250F. On the way back to the shop there was a funny noise as I was accelerating out of a corner and it lost power again. Upon inspection one of the turbo to manifold bolts had loosened and the gasket blew out. Next order of business is to get a bit of copper sheet to make a new, better gasket.

@AirheadNut Did you end up re-doing the brakes on your LJ78? Did all the part number crosses work out ok for the rears? (I have someone else asking me about the rears...) FAQ - LJ78 Brake Parts Cross Thread

How is your LJ78 doing? Did you get the gasket sorted out? Please take a few videos of it driving when you have time. I'd love to see a hard acceleration 0-60mph (or more) video. :)

I just replaced pads/rotors/calipers on the rear, all of the part numbers you posted worked great. I ordered the pads and rotors for an FJ Cruiser and calipers for an FZJ80. All bolted up like stock.
006444B4-54FA-4829-8781-CBE5A02241FA.jpeg

29C6E84C-F7A4-4950-A6CD-9B9858779B4E.jpeg

08C06D2C-910C-454B-B790-E885165881F3.jpeg

After a little driving with the 3 bar MAP sensor installed it started to act funny. It would build boost up to about 10psi and then kick off. Eventually I couldn’t get any more than about 2psi. I scanned the codes and did some digging online, it turns out that the ECU doesn't recognize the input from the 3 bar sensor if it hasn’t been tuned for more than 21psi. So I hopped on eBay and found another 2.5 bar sensor marked down 65%. Unfortunately due to the holiday weekend it won’t be here until Monday 😢

Oh, and I definitely plan to take some video! 😁

Thanks so much for confirming the brake parts! I'm really happy they worked out. I had rebuilt my calipers back in the day, so could not actually confirm those part numbers were 100% through experience.

Sorry to hear about continued MAP sensor issues! Hopefully the new sensor will sort things out for you. Looking forward to that video!

Well, I guess I spoke too soon:
839798AE-F68A-46BC-980E-22EE66AF4C9A.jpeg

Time for a long overdue update! After my second new MAP sensor arrived I started driving the Prado around town to get a feel for it. About every other time I drove it some part of the turbo actuator linkage would vibrate loose and cause a loss of boost and a fault code. There was also a substantial oil leak from the turbo oil return line. After about 250km and a week of driving I was pulling in to work when I lost boost again. After work I popped the hood and found out why:

So I got a ride home and came back with a truck and trailer.
43104387-2C94-41B5-BC14-1328D5F089B9.jpeg

I was able to find an exhaust manifold from a VW AAZ diesel for a good price on eBay, which if mounted upside down will put the turbo in about the same location, but a couple of inches lower. This means that I can get rid of the troublesome linkages on the turbo and go back to a more stock setup.
51D0BED1-1075-4FDA-BE44-A0CA03239772.jpeg

I’ve been really busy, but finally got around to pulling out the turbo and manifold.
9D3BDCB1-6860-4CA6-93BE-82B46296E349.jpeg

The carnage:
C80C4911-E931-416B-B155-99B38171AF6E.jpeg

I had originally planned on making a support bracket for the turbo, but didn’t get around to it 🙄 I think the new manifold will be a much better setup in every way though.

Next up, making the adapter plate for the turbo.
CC7FF97C-3F22-4A10-917C-63A71ACEBF7A.jpeg

Last edited:
Lots of measuring. I took measurements from a manifold off of a Passat TDI, the same model the turbo came from. The AAZ manifold flange was pretty easy, just a square bolt pattern with the exhaust hole centered.
IMG_E2896.jpg

Then the turbo got disassembled. It will be nice to get rid of all the complex linkages I built. I also found a tiny pinhole in one of the welds on the oil return line, so that should fix the oil leak.
IMG_2916.jpg

I got some 1/2" plate to make the manifold adapter, and used my little Uniweld Type 17 cutting torch to bring it to size. I am really liking the torch; it is super light weight and easy to maneuver. My torch skills could still use some help though...
IMG_2932.jpg

Punching it full of holes:
IMG_2934.jpg

It fits! Only one of the non-threaded holes had to be clearanced slightly with a file, which I consider a win.
IMG_2937.jpg

At this point I am waiting on a 90º countersink bit to put in the third turbo bolt. Both sides will get copper gaskets to prevent another gasket failure.

Doing a bit of catch up here, I made a copper gasket for the manifold side of the adapter, will reuse the copper gasket I made for the turbo side earlier.
IMG_2963.jpg

Spent probably 20 minutes poking a 1.25" hole through the adapter plate. I took it really slow and was careful to remove chips often.
IMG_2965.jpg

My 90º countersink bit arrived, so I could finish the last hole. I also ported the exhaust hole out on one side to fit the 1.75" outlet in the manifold.
IMG_2967.jpg

The old oil return line I made no longer fit with the larger adapter plate on the bottom of the turbo, so I took the original VW hose to a local hydraulic hose maker who was able to cut the crimp fitting off the flange and put a new, longer hose on it.
IMG_2997.jpg

While the turbo was out I took a moment to compare it to the CT26 from my brother's HDJ81 that is getting a new intercooler system. Just a little difference in size!
IMG_3006.jpg

Looking forward to getting back to work on this in a couple of weeks, but in the mean time my brother @SnowVersion very kindly did a little photoshop work for me. I'm planning on having one of these reverse printed on a vinyl sticker to be the backer on the plexiglass gauge cover I made a while ago. The only problem is that I can't decide which version to use:
parado-gauge-pod-2-up.png

Looking forward to getting back to work on this in a couple of weeks, but in the mean time my brother @SnowVersion very kindly did a little photoshop work for me. I'm planning on having one of these reverse printed on a vinyl sticker to be the backer on the plexiglass gauge cover I made a while ago. The only problem is that I can't decide which version to use:
View attachment 2493868

Can't put to words why, but I like the first one better.

View attachment 2493868

That's cool!

I would go with the first one aswell since all the rest is in wording rather then symbols.

Seems like the consensus is to go with the all-text version. I think I’ll have a couple of them made in case I mess one up on installation.

In other news, I dropped by a wrecking yard and picked up a part I’ve been needing, the plug for the 5VZ-FE starter:
DD9F8905-B3C8-4FC5-AA92-8229B2CBAD07.jpeg

While there I learned that ARB bumpers don’t save you from everything:
8B41C9DD-DA0B-4E06-B686-D28E7ABB9266.jpeg

Time for another overdue update! I got the Prado back on the road about two weeks ago; really all that had to be done was extend the lower intake pipe from the turbo to the intercooler:
IMG_3107.JPG

Then it was off for a quick test drive. (At night, with no tools :doh: ) Of course, I had neglected to put a bead around the end of the pipe, and blew the silicone elbow off pulling a hill at 20psi. We limped it home and fixed it in the morning. I also wired up the plug for the starter that I got at the wrecking yard, up to this point I had been using a wire with a blade connector stuck on to the pin on the starter. Since then, mostly driving!:steer:
Took it ice skating at a nearby pond:
IMG_3123.JPG

Loaded it up with rooftop tent, damage multiplier bumper it came with and IPF Super Rally lights from the first Prado:
IMG_3147.JPG

Some thoughts so far:
Power is pretty good, but with the RTT on top it could definitely use some more, especially once I shift into 5th gear. A Stage 4 tune is looking pretty nice right now.
Odometer/speedometer is dead on with the 235/85R16 tires.
I have only fueled up once so far, it got 23+mpg US on the first tank after the swap, including a lot of hard acceleration and idling while troubleshooting.
The Dyna 5th gear swap was well worth the effort; 5th gear is a little sluggish at first but its back in the power band by 100km/h, and cruises easily at 110-120km/h.
EGT's stay nice and cool: highway cruising is 700-800ºF, hills are rarely over 1100ºF. The only time I've seen 1200º+ was during an impromptu drag race with my brother in his HDJ81.

I still have some loose ends to wrap up, the biggest one being a vibration/rumble that starts at around 80km/h and turns into a pretty hard shudder above 105km/h. It doesn't change significantly with the hubs unlocked, so I assume it to be either an improperly balanced tire, a failing u-joint or a bearing somewhere in the rear driveline. I also need to figure out how to hook up a tach that likes to communicate with the TDI and fits in the dash.

Time for another overdue update! I got the Prado back on the road about two weeks ago; really all that had to be done was extend the lower intake pipe from the turbo to the intercooler:
View attachment 2525989

Then it was off for a quick test drive. (At night, with no tools :doh: ) Of course, I had neglected to put a bead around the end of the pipe, and blew the silicone elbow off pulling a hill at 20psi. We limped it home and fixed it in the morning. I also wired up the plug for the starter that I got at the wrecking yard, up to this point I had been using a wire with a blade connector stuck on to the pin on the starter. Since then, mostly driving!:steer:
Took it ice skating at a nearby pond:
View attachment 2525993

Loaded it up with rooftop tent, damage multiplier bumper it came with and IPF Super Rally lights from the first Prado:
View attachment 2525996

Some thoughts so far:
Power is pretty good, but with the RTT on top it could definitely use some more, especially once I shift into 5th gear. A Stage 4 tune is looking pretty nice right now.
Odometer/speedometer is dead on with the 235/85R16 tires.
I have only fueled up once so far, it got 23+mpg US on the first tank after the swap, including a lot of hard acceleration and idling while troubleshooting.
The Dyna 5th gear swap was well worth the effort; 5th gear is a little sluggish at first but its back in the power band by 100km/h, and cruises easily at 110-120km/h.
EGT's stay nice and cool: highway cruising is 700-800ºF, hills are rarely over 1100ºF. The only time I've seen 1200º+ was during an impromptu drag race with my brother in his HDJ81.

I still have some loose ends to wrap up, the biggest one being a vibration/rumble that starts at around 80km/h and turns into a pretty hard shudder above 105km/h. It doesn't change significantly with the hubs unlocked, so I assume it to be either an improperly balanced tire, a failing u-joint or a bearing somewhere in the rear driveline. I also need to figure out how to hook up a tach that likes to communicate with the TDI and fits in the dash.

Thanks for the update!

What boost pressure is it at when you're cruising in 5th with the RTT on a flat highway?

Your fuel economy so far is fantastic. That sort of driving routine (tuning/hard accel/city) I'd be around 16 us mpg on my truck. 23 us mpg is very good. Can't wait to hear what you get under more ideal conditions.

Regarding the vibration; are you sure your electric hubs are working ok (turning off)?

Who won the drag race?

Who won the drag race?

Well, my automatic transmission gave me a definite advantage off the line. I just installed an aggressive aneroid pin that flows a lot of fuel, but haven’t increased boost beyond the factory 12psi. So I had to back off around 80kph because I was rolling a lot of coal and EGTs were fast approaching 1500F. Beyond 80kph, @AirheadNut passed my like I was standing still! A bit mind boggling considering his 1.9 liters of displacement vs my 4.2!

All that on his stage 1 tune (110hp). Cant wait to see what stage 4 brings!

Thanks for the update!

What boost pressure is it at when you're cruising in 5th with the RTT on a flat highway?

Your fuel economy so far is fantastic. That sort of driving routine (tuning/hard accel/city) I'd be around 16 us mpg on my truck. 23 us mpg is very good. Can't wait to hear what you get under more ideal conditions.

Regarding the vibration; are you sure your electric hubs are working ok (turning off)?

Who won the drag race?

I think it’s running around 15psi at 100km/h or more on flat ground, 80km/h is usually around 10psi. My boost gauge is currently sitting on its side at the base of the windshield, so it isn’t visible unless I hold it up while I drive. Another loose end to tie up. I’m pretty sure the turbo actuator needs a little adjustment, I was getting 18psi and more this summer, now it hovers right at 15 unless I floor it.

From what I can tell the E-hubs are working as they should; there is a noticeable change in turning radius and steering feel with them engaged. I need to crawl under there and check to make sure though. I think I’ll start by checking all the fluids again, feeling for any play in u-joints and output/pinion bearings, and looking for anywhere something could be rubbing on a driveline component.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom