Builds Another 80 series build thread. The 'BlackHole' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will most definitely be ordering. Thanks for the insight.

I tell ya, this forum is outstanding!

• I had a P0401 code, found the answer, fixed.
  • Installed a OEM CDL switch and had a problem with it engaging due to CDL activation switch on the transfer case, installed, fixed problem.
  • Wasn't sure if removing the window rain guard trim was a good idea, it was, and again, thanks to a MUD thread.

I feel like this site has already save me over 1k in shop fees!
What was it? and how did you fix it?

Well, scratch another 'wish list' project off the list thanks to Trail Tailor. I've wanted tailgate storage since I first saw random mudders flashing pictures of the Wagongear, and it just seemed so wrong that Toyota didn't recognize the storage potential.

So thanks to @reevesci for taking the time to fab something that was exactly what I was looking for.

Step one- remove access panels and make sure you move the license plate wire so you don't cut through it.

Step two- place the lid where it will go using the existing holes and pop in a few of included hardware. Tape off inside of lid as a guide on where to cut. Get to hacking with jigsaw or grinder.

image2.JPG

Step 3- once I had my cutout I chose to dyanmat the inside to cut down on the contents clinking around.

image3.JPG

Step 4- Install lid using included hardware. Jason forewarned me that where the lid hardware meets the tailgate that in my year Cruiser I might have to bend/grind/file a little of the tailgate metal in order to get lid to shut smoothly. So 10 minutes was required with the dremmel shaving down the inside of the tailgate (not the lid) at the 3 indentation from the bottom and 3 indentation from the top. (see above pic)

Step 5- go have a cocktail.

image4.JPG

Still have to tweak/maybe grind the inside of the lid as I'm getting a little rubbing from the tailgate latch hardware, might have to do with me cracking down the hardware too much?

In short, I couldn't be more pleased and am equally as excited to have Jason building a bumper for me.

Well, scratch another 'wish list' project off the list thanks to Trail Tailor. I've wanted tailgate storage since I first saw random mudders flashing pictures of the Wagongear, and it just seemed so wrong that Toyota didn't recognize the storage potential.

So thanks to @reevesci for taking the time to fab something that was exactly what I was looking for.

Step one- remove access panels and make sure you move the license plate wire so you don't cut through it.

Step two- place the lid where it will go using the existing holes and pop in a few of included hardware. Tape off inside of lid as a guide on where to cut. Get to hacking with jigsaw or grinder.

View attachment 1365153

Step 3- once I had my cutout I chose to dyanmat the inside to cut down on the contents clinking around.

View attachment 1365155

Step 4- Install lid using included hardware. Jason forewarned me that where the lid hardware meets the tailgate that in my year Cruiser I might have to bend/grind/file a little of the tailgate metal in order to get lid to shut smoothly. So 10 minutes was required with the dremmel shaving down the inside of the tailgate (not the lid) at the 3 indentation from the bottom and 3 indentation from the top. (see above pic)

Step 5- go have a cocktail.

View attachment 1365164

Still have to tweak/maybe grind the inside of the lid as I'm getting a little rubbing from the tailgate latch hardware, might have to do with me cracking down the hardware too much?

In short, I couldn't be more pleased and am equally as excited to have Jason building a bumper for me.

For those that are wondering what the issue is.... I overbuilt the lid support reinforcement and for some reason the 95-97 latch release rod rubs on the lid. I used a 93 lid to design off of and mine works flawlessly without any rubbing. So, All the ones in stock I have ground the inner lid down to correct the issue for future buyers.

Jason

Two steps forward, one step back.

Power steering fluid....

Not sure this is within my skill-set especially without a warm place to work while scattering parts about. (Today's high is 1 degree)

Question , why does it seem to leak more in with colder temps??

IMG_6723.JPG

My guess is seals freeze and contract allowing passage of fluids to the ground.

Roger that.

Hoping I can just keep it full until spring..... otherwise I know Slee will gladly take my dollars.

When I last inquired a new pump, install, etc was 12 hundo+. This is not a joke or exaggeration.

@Phildoh
Where would you reccomend the owner of a 1995 LC go to pick up new window moldings, 50$ a pop sounds right up my alley? Thanks for any insight
I get a good hookup on factory parts, and thise "belt mouldings" are about $50 each with a discount, and the large land cruiser badge was $90. I'm picky, so I bought them. My alternative was to peel all the black off them and go with the stainless look, but it didn't want to come off easily.

@mervo your interior turned out killer. Who or what www is "Lseat"? I've done a fair amount of web searching for interior kits but landcruiserheaven is all I keep finding. Did you install interior leather yourself?

@Phildoh
Where would you reccomend the owner of a 1995 LC go to pick up new window moldings, 50$ a pop sounds right up my alley? Thanks for any insight

Pm @beno . Not sure what the going rate is these days but he'll certainly let you know.

@mervo what part of the steering is leaking? The gearbox or the pump? The pump is fairly simple to swap out/rebuild, the gearbox on the other hand is a much bigger task

@mervo what part of the steering is leaking? The gearbox or the pump? The pump is fairly simple to swap out/rebuild, the gearbox on the other hand is a much bigger task

I'm really hoping it's just the power steering pump seal, or the high pressure line or something 2 bannana-ish.

All I know at this point is that during that cold snap a week ago when I start the cruiser the pump is wining like a banshi, and after about 2 minutes there is a good amount of power steering fluid on the ground.

I'm going to have to inspect closer to figure out the culprit. I'm leery of touching anything at the moment that I'm not 100% of. Im currently running a streak of breaking things that are working.

In case anyone was curious I used Napa antenna 730-5903 for 15.99. Came with exactly the amount of coax to run to head unit.

Anyone need a working antenna motor?? @NLXTACY @beno @Salue @Dragos80 @Dissent @DOCBG or anyone else? Just needs a new mast.

View attachment 1284650
if you are serious i am trying to do this job and need the tube the mast rides in, the tube the antenna cable is attached to. I sure would appreciate any hints for the wire passing through the grommet in the firewall. I am stuck and how to proceed.

High time to update.

Driver's seat HEATED seat thanks to @LandCruiserPhil. Easy install as the loom is under the middle console. Thanks Phil for the much needed insight.

Seat switch included-

IMG_6714.JPG

Heating elements and wiring for seat cushion, and back panel. You will need a set of hog ring pliers, and hog rings after you snip the existing ones off your seat leathers.

IMG_6717.JPG

While not entirely plug and play, it's pretty damn easy. The only thing you'll need to do is to tap in to the existing loom for power, everything else with Phil's kit plugs together. For a 1 banana guy like me it was 1.5 hours. (largely because I'm an idiot)

IMG_6716.JPG

Now go get your heat on.

Following the heated seats and I've found myself wiring my CB, winch, new antenna (no power, just plug into existing head unit) I figured it's only a matter of time before I car-BBQ myself.

With that in mind I thought that it was high-time for Joey's ( @NLXTACY ) fire extinguisher mount with locking lid under the passenger seat. Thank you Joey for enlightening me that the later year 80 series need the seat riser, so I added that as well. In addition, I also added his mini-lock box, with liners.

The most difficult part of any of this was the seat riser install. Take your time, curse, and make yourself a cocktail pre-install.
(I had just finished getting the passenger seat working with new gears and caps and I was TERRIFIED of F'ing things up. But I didn't and all went well)

And I must say the wife appreciates the extra height of the riser.

F.E.M. (fire extinguisher mount)

IMG_6834.JPG

Seat Riser

IMG_6832.JPG

Mini-lockbox

IMG_6826.JPG

Liner installed, what lockbox?

IMG_6824.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom