An illustrated guide to replacing your APPS - Part 1 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Frustratingly Afraid So

You're doing this with only 75k on the dial? Was it acting up prematurely or are you simply doing this as preventative maintenance? Because 75k seems very low to be thinking about this.

Yes, this started acting up about 1 month ago and progressively worsened to the point, on a rainy cool day, every time I released the accelerator it went into limp mode and I would have to jam the pedal to the floor to release something that I would describe as kind of ‘sticky’ or ‘bound up’. Once I would do that, I would have control for a few seconds and this would allow me to accelerate or maintain speed, but after holding my foot in a mid-throttle position (between floored and no throttle), when I would release the pedal it would go back into limp mode and I would have to un-stick the throttle every time I needed control. This happened at stop lights, during city driving (low speeds), and also at freeway speeds (really scary when you are trying to change lanes on an interstate!).

Here's the Latest: I attempted to drive it last night after it has been sitting for about a week and I could not get it started. It would turn over and fire-up but then immediately die. I reset the computer by removing the negative cable on the battery and ran it for about 10 minutes of city driving with no problem. Weird huh?! Do you think this is related to the Throttle Body? I did notice that when we first acquired the LX470 it would kind of start and run rough for a brief moment, but then it would settle down and run smooth.

Right now I'm just trying to find detailed instructions for replacing the Throttle Body in hopes it might correct all of these problems. Is there anything else that someone thinks could be causing this?

I'm having the same issue. I called a local dealer asking for a new APPS and he was confused and said the 2001 I was cable not electronic pedal. I am going to call him back and ask for the specific part number that was listed in the first post. I'm supercharged which I wonder if this makes a difference but the one time I couple get a CEL it was P1121.

I'm having the same issue. I called a local dealer asking for a new APPS and he was confused and said the 2001 I was cable not electronic pedal. I am going to call him back and ask for the specific part number that was listed in the first post. I'm supercharged which I wonder if this makes a difference but the one time I couple get a CEL it was P1121.

Both are correct. APPS is at TB on your year as well as TPS. Cable pulls cam which is sensed by APPS which in turn directs ECU to move TB. As I've posted before, this is the best I all worlds as the cable acts as a mechanical override in the last 1/3 or so of travel. So even if you lost electronics you can still control power, although less easily.

I am making the assumption here that the LX470 and Land Cruiser APPS/TPS is the same part? I know it may not be the same part number, but will they do the same job, does anyone know? I am going to try to get a new one tomorrow.

I ordered the part number from the first post of this thread and had it installed on my LX last week. So far no more P1121 CEL.

Dangit, these things (APPS) are expensive! $413 from local dealer, ~$260 online. Guess I have to place an order. Anyone know of anything less expensive?

I think the best bet is replacing the APPS and not just the TPS. That is unfortunate because the TPS is about a third of the cost.
:doh:

Could be APPS TPS or the Throttle Body Motor/Clutch or the gear train inside the throttle body. I think I'm a little outspoken about this but have posted several times that I'm pretty sure it's a mechanical bind inside the throttle body that leads to a CEL pointing to one of the 3 electrical parts on the Throttle body.
I replaced the entire throttle body with a new OEM which includes the TB, Motor, TPS, APPS so no more guessing for me and have been great for more than a year with zero re-occurances. (had become a weekly affair)

Where did you buy the entire throttle body and what was the cost? Is there an install procedure for the entire TB? Thanks very much!

Where did you buy the entire throttle body and what was the cost? Is there an install procedure for the entire TB? Thanks very much!

I couldn't quite remember the details but here is another post of mine with the info...
Check engine Code P1126

Actually only paid 735 but that was in 2011 and the particular online retailer no longer sells toyota parts. Today I would say if you're under 1000 you're probably doing pretty good, they have gone up for sure.

This thread is still helping people in 2016.

Thanks to all that contributed. I'm not as concerned as I was at first when my scanner told me "p1121 unknown diagnostic code"

APPS replaced. Took all of 10 minutes. Used 1/4" drive 10 mm deep socket with extension, a #3 philips screwdriver, a needle nose pliers, and a channel lock pliers. I did have one more vacuum line to remove. 2000 LX 470.

To buy the part, I called two dealers that are an easy drive from me. Both had same list price of $415. Second dealer told me the list price then said, "Hell, I can do better than that.". I paid 349.07 with 5.5% tax included. Even better, this dealer is just down the road from where my wife works.

Thanks again for the original write up. :)

Thanks for the write-up - made the job super easy on a 2000 LX.

Also a shout out to Beno for the part!

@cooper30 ...actually called up @beno and he hooked me up...as always.. fair price, awesome service and a can koozie too!! He is fantastic to work with!

Man I love the write ups on this forum - just saves so much time. Got the p1121 error, exact symptoms as described by others. Got lucky and found the new OEM apps/tbl from an ebay store auto parts vendor. With overnight shipping less than $225 to my location. Will drop it in tomorrow. Thanks to all those before!

Hahm! This is kind of similar to what I have been getting with my 06LC just about to hit 150K miles.
I have no codes or funny lights coming up.
Just about every morning when I first start it, roll down the driveway to get going and it feels like I have no power, rpms are low not wanting to move up with gas pedal, at times I got inpatient and just gassed it to make it go, other times I just let it do it's thing until I felt the beast had waken up!
At first my thought was transmission delaying to shift 1st to 2nd. Also wondered about engine wanting to regulate temp prior to going. Now I see this tread I'm starting to think different.
Has not happened later in the day, only at first start up in the morning, usually around 8 to 830. Temps between 40 to upper 50s.
What do you guys say? Thanks for any input.

Sounds similar to my experience

I'm not sure if there was a switch from an actual accelerator cable to "drive by wire" at any point before 2006.

On my 2000 I have an actual cable going from the pedal to the APPS on the throttle body. When my APPS went bad, I had no throttle at all until I pushed the pedal down as far as it could go. Doing that overrides the resistor and actually opens the throttle plate a little bit. On a drive by wire vehicle, I don't know if there is an actual cable that runs to the throttle body. If not, I don't know if there would be the same APPS set up that's on vehicles like my 2000.

One thing your description reminded me of was a Dodge I had years ago that the torque converter would drain overnight. After it sat for 8-10 hours, I had to let it pump up before it would move well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom