Builds An HJ61 followed me home to Texas (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wife driving the F350 today.

Mini truck has a bad carburetor.
79s aren’t finished.
Green Satan John Deere has a blown head gasket.
Wagon has a 79 bed in it.

Leaving only ye olde HJ61….

Other life updates for the 61:

I drove her daily until October, when my HDJ80 arrived. After that, the batteries went dead dead and it wasn’t until March until I got new ones. Now she’s ready to rip again.

Speaking of rips, the dash pad finally cracked.
Luckily I have a new one on the shelf for just such an occasion.

IMG_9042.jpeg

Finally, my great friend @Mignonne got me a custom air freshener. I’m not normally a scent-added kinda guy, but when it’s this cool…oh yeah!

IMG_9043.jpeg

Friday night lights, July 2023. It’s a beautiful night here in the middle of Texas.
IMG_0722.jpeg

Road trip time.

I live in Austin, TX. I needed to pick up my kids from a summer camp in Estes Park, CO…so my great friend @AlbertoSD volunteered to drive the 61 up to Boulder for me.

I flew up to Denver and the truck was running like a champ.

We dirt road rambled around last night and I made it up to Estes to spend the last day of camp program with my kids.

I drove back to Boulder through Nederland this evening and the truck just purred back down the mountains.

Heckuva day. Tomorrow I go back up to Estes to pick them up at 6am.

481,800km is 299,376 miles…closing in on the big 3-0-0!

IMG_1265.jpeg
IMG_1266.jpeg
IMG_1268.jpeg
IMG_1289.jpeg
IMG_1326.jpeg
IMG_1329.jpeg

I picked up the kids, spent the week in Denver, and then I drove home alone. I spent the night in Angel Fire, after meeting up with my friend, Brian and randomly stopping by Classic Cruisers in Salida.

I drove home from Angel Fire to Austin in one day, 709 miles - and 391 of them without turning the truck off and doing it on a single tank of fuel. Along the way the truck rolled 300,000 miles. I drove that entire 700 miles at 2300 RPMs at about 69 to 72 miles an hour… With the AC blasting freezing cold air. Good job, old girl.

9A58F008-C9AC-425D-BB6E-D2203BC6313E.jpeg

I changed phones, and for some reason I can’t get all my old pictures to load. It says that MUD doesn’t like the file format. I’ll see what I can do.

Last night I saddled up the truck and drove three hours across Texas to spend the weekend in Leakey, very near the center path of the annular eclipse. Here is annular totality.

IMG_0215.jpeg

2dbe5b3c-ce3c-474d-9a43-1b3cf3787ce3.jpeg

IMG_0227.jpeg

Hat credit to @HemiAlex - it’s a damn vintage Toyota patch on a hat made for gigantic diameter heads.

I need another Sputnik sized hat!

IMG_9811.jpeg
IMG_9815.jpeg
IMG_9823.jpeg
actual tech: my brake lights are getting stuck on. I had picked up a replacement switch at classic cruisers on my trip through Colorado. I’ve tried adjusting it, no matter how I adjust it, I can’t get the switch to reliably stay off at the end of its throw. tried replacing it down at Jimmy’s barn last weekend. Note my unorthodox positioning. Driver’s door open, driver’swindow down, double heel hook for the win.

Always so good to spend time at @CenTXFJ60’s barn, and photo credit to @Mignonne

Old girl still does good

IMG_0248.jpeg

I'd there a rubber pad on the brake pedal like what's on a 40? @aljollano gave me a replacement that fixed a similar issue like yours.

I tried adjusting the original switch. I haven’t replaced it with the one from classic cruisers. I’ll try that and see if it’s a switch engagement problem, or a continued adjustment problem.

View attachment 3455962View attachment 3455963View attachment 3455964actual tech: my brake lights are getting stuck on. I had picked up a replacement switch at classic cruisers on my trip through Colorado. I’ve tried adjusting it, no matter how I adjust it, I can’t get the switch to reliably stay off at the end of its throw. tried replacing it down at Jimmy’s barn last weekend. Note my unorthodox positioning. Driver’s door open, driver’swindow down, double heel hook for the win.

Always so good to spend time at @CenTXFJ60’s barn, and photo credit to @Mignonne
Was great having you and Migs over the other day.

Uh oh.

IMG_2735.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom