Builds An Accidental Frame Off.................. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I pulled the whole steering column into the cab about 4 inches and adjusted the rag joint on the steering box. I was thinking of just pulling the wheel and centering it but like you said I think it would still cause issues with the turn signal switch.

There is probably another way that is much simpler to do it.

Once you get it close to center, can't you just adjust your steering arms at the wheels?

Good question, I'm not really sure. I'm going to have to stop and think about it for a while.

But I'm really enjoying the pictures of your new surroundings as much as your pictures of your rig.

Jealous:flipoff2::flipoff2:

There is a high voltage electrician position open where I work!!

Put about 20 miles on the 40 this evening, ran it up into the mountains to see how it does on an uphill climb. I capped some open vacuum ports and ran the vacuum to the dizzy, it is running better than I have ever had it running now. Aside from the doors rattling due to them not having any weatherstripping, there really aren't any other things making any racket.
IMG_0252.JPG
IMG_0254.JPG

I was just a few miles east of a pretty good sized wildfire in those pics, the smoke plume is crazy!

There are a couple things I need to work on, the ammeter shows that I am pushing about 30 amps non stop when I am running. I don't think that is right at all, the battery was fully charged on a charger a couple weeks ago.

I found a small oil leak from the lower timing cover area, looks to be coming from near on of the 2 bottom bolts.

Lost the top pin on my passenger door hinge, I had the top ones in upside down, time to dig out an old spare.

I need to change the oil before the next trip.

Steering still needs corrected.

Seat belts need bolted in.

And much more......

There are a couple things I need to work on, the ammeter shows that I am pushing about 30 amps non stop when I am running. I don't think that is right at all, the battery was fully charged on a charger a couple weeks ago.

I found a small oil leak from the lower timing cover area, looks to be coming from near on of the 2 bottom bolts.

Lost the top pin on my passenger door hinge, I had the top ones in upside down, time to dig out an old spare.

I need to change the oil before the next trip.

Steering still needs corrected.

Seat belts need bolted in.

And much more......

Congrats on getting it up and running. Theres always more......

Congrats on getting it up and running. Theres always more......

As long as I can get it on the road I can tackle a lot of the small details from there!

Rig looks awesome, it gives me hope that I'm not too far away!

Put about 20 miles on the 40 this evening, ran it up into the mountains to see how it does on an uphill climb. I capped some open vacuum ports and ran the vacuum to the dizzy, it is running better than I have ever had it running now. Aside from the doors rattling due to them not having any weatherstripping, there really aren't any other things making any racket.View attachment 1525847View attachment 1525848

I was just a few miles east of a pretty good sized wildfire in those pics, the smoke plume is crazy!

About the only thing that rig really needs is stock rims, painted gray, of course. ;)

@Tools R Us has a method where he puts a pipe wrench on a pre-loosened track rod (both ends) and turns it clockwise or counter-clockwise to go right or left. He can pry explain it better. This serves to make fine adjustments to the steering wheel position.

This works - it is how I did it after my disk brake conversion. You get it close with the steering shaft splines, etc. then "Tweak" it at the drag link to dial it in.

Last edited:
I have been wrenching on small stuff this week, changed the oil after the initial start up, chased a couple minor leaks. I still have to deal with a leak on the rear output side of the T case. Working on installing the seat belts, I should have a poly fuel tank sometime this week so I will be able to start driving it around more.

In the meantime, I am trying to find housing, I am going to be moving my family out here at the end of this month.

Took a break today
IMG_0258.JPG
IMG_0261.JPG
IMG_0262.JPG

Stopped by a coworkers house after work to help empty some cold beer from his fridge and while I was talking to another guy about my cruiser he jumped up and went inside his house to get something. He came out with an old school metal Toyota LandCruiser emblem for me, said he found it out on one of the local mountain back roads a few years back.
IMG_0342.JPG

I put around 75 miles on the 40 today. The smoke has cleared out of the valley and it was a perfect day. I decided to grab a fly rod and take a trip into the mountains.

Earlier this week I got a poly fuel tank from a fellow mudder, I plumbed it in yesterday and gave it the thumbs up today.

Topped it off with fresh fuel and drove it around some rough roads to flex things out, shake out all the rattles, and just an overall test of it.

Aside from a couple small oil leaks I have already found, it runs like a raped ape!

IMG_0361.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0371.JPG

The skyjacker lift and Bilstein shocks work like a dream, handled the washboard roads with ease.

The engine is running a smooth as can be expected for a home built tractor engine.

The carb and dizzy I had rebuilt by Jim C work flawlessly, feels like it responds to the throttle pedal better and has more ass behind the engine now.

It might look like it was painted by Stevie Wonder but it drives and handles like a champ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom