Builds An Accidental Frame Off.................. (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_0392.JPG

Just when everything seems to be going right, POW. RIGHT IN THE FxxxING KEISTER.

The carb is flooding like Houston. Everything was running like a Ethiopian in a marathon, then POW, a freaking face plant, fuel dumping all over the place and not a chance of starting.

Really bad timing also, I will be flying back to Maryland to start moving my family out here Friday.

Good thing I wasn't in the backcountry fly fishing when this happened, I would have been pissed!

Bummer. With winter coming you will have some time to finish the project without the pressure of time.

Doors were my plan for the winter, they still need finishing.

Forgot to check the fuel can I was using to see how much fuel was left in it. Almost ran out of fuel, it died once, then I tilted the can to get it all in one corner!

This is when an aux gas can comes in handy :flipoff2:

You seem to be livin' large up there. But, I'll bet you're ready for your girls to come home... and fish with you. ;)

Whenever something bad happens, I scroll through my favorite pictures... generally dog pictures.

You've posted some gorgeous pictures, with your girls.

Time to "put away childish things" and prepare for bringing all your girls to their new home.

Plenty of time after y'all are settled in.

You are MUCH further along than anyone expected you to be... especially given the job change, move prep and the rust you found!!

You're living the dream, my friend... enjoy it all!!

That sucks, did you check the needle in the float bowl (don't know how it is called in English)?

Float stuck?

As soon as I get a chance I am going to pull the carb and check stuff out, I noticed a week ago that the fuel level in the sight glass was too high. Hopefully it is something simple.

The worst part of it is that I had the carb guru rebuild it not long ago. I'm not saying it is anything he did, it is most likely something stuck in the valve form my fuel lines.

hopefully.

Stuck float.

Fixed.

Now I need to check the oil, I may change it just to be sure there isn't excessive fuel in it.

I'm not really sure.

I'd sniff the dipstick... but, that's just me :cool:.

Unless your oem fuel pump diaphragm has failed, I don't see how it will have dumped fuel into the crankcase...

Probably just overflowed the carb onto the manifold... glad it didn't catch fire.

But, you said before this happened that you needed to change the oil.

Go fishing!!

BTW I bought a Minn Kota trolling motor, for my pontoon... waiting for the transom to get here... then I can go Lake fishing.

I really only want the motor to help me fight the wind back to my truck.

No streams down here.

Ran it for about ten minutes while I tuned the carb, noticed the oil pressure was a little lower than it has been. Once I shut it down and cleaned some stuff up I pulled the dipstick to check the oil, looks to be WAY to full on oil! Took a whiff of it and it smells a little suspect.

I think I will play it safe and change it.

Danny, I just changed the oil in it now about 200 miles ago. I guess I'll call it my 500 mile oil change. Might as well check valves and head bolts while I'm in it.

Needless to say I'm not driving it for a while, it may be 3 weeks before I get it rolling again.

Probably best to leave it be anyway... you have things to do.

So, where was all the fuel "dumping"?

I presumed it to be from the carb... if the fuel pump fails (and dumps fuel into the crankcase), it should starve the carb.

But, you definitely don't want to run it with gas in the oil... doesn't lubricate well.

You can pull the fuel pump and carefully open it and inspect the diagphram for tears or holes.

The possibility of fouling my oil, with gas, in the bush, was one of the reasons I went to Carter electric pumps. Easier to swap out... no chance of fouling the oil... allowed me to run separate pumps, on dual tanks and provide a tertiary backup capability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom