Builds AK HJ-75 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd say if you can find a 12HT, that would be the best way to go. Bye bye IDI.

Sorry to hear.....

So, options so far.
replace head
Find a 12HT
Install the 1HD-FT with its matching 5speed and transfer case and scrap the project that’s been sitting around for years. (And do a lhd swap, and install the cable lockers front and rear)

Well, decided on option #3. It will take a while to get done since I only get to be home 2 full days at a time, average 3 times a month. so if anyone is interested in my drive train it will end up in the classified section at some time. 2H ( with bad head but all the accessories and rebuilt long block and rebuilt injector and turbo and such)/H55/split transfer case.

Well, decided on option #3. It will take a while to get done since I only get to be home 2 full days at a time, average 3 times a month. so if anyone is interested in my drive train it will end up in the classified section at some time. 2H ( with bad head but all the accessories and rebuilt long block and rebuilt injector and turbo and such)/H55/split transfer case.

How many miles on the H55?

So, still haven't decided on what to do. I did a lot of measuring and looking between the LJ-78 I have the 1HD-FT/H151/HF2A in and the 2H/H55/split that came in the 75 ute. I think I have found the tight spot between the two. The cross tube located on the frames just behind the front seats in both is the problem area. This tube on the -78 is tilted rear ward which provides plenty of clearance between this tube and the back of the HF2A, where as this tube in the ute is tilted forward. As best as I can tell I would only have .5" clearance for the same place if I installed the 1HD in the same location in the ute as it is now in the -78. I think I would have a little room to slide the engine farther forward to give me at least 1" clearance. I hope the pictures will make sense.

First two pictures is of the HF2A where you can see the cross tube tilted towards the rear and the third picture is the split case in the Ute where you can see this same tube tilted forward.

A6751857-25C5-41C1-9343-40D15C5F13A4.jpeg

A74D8615-F577-4B6D-A798-C9E2F6E54A94.jpeg

B4E7D2D5-5943-448C-8BCC-4C94B1192FE4.jpeg

So, back to trying to figure out what to do.
Someone posted up a 2H to sell, waiting to hear more info about it, would use the head.
There is a built 12HT that seems it is built the right way for more power than a stock 12HT.
Then the 1HD-FT combo. Supposedly one can put a H55 that fits behind a HZ behind a 1HD. But you will need a HZ bell housing too. And maybe a different flywheel. I think this option would give me more room. I know the HD-J78/79 has a 1HD-FTE/H151/ and I assume the HF1A. I wonder how much space is between this problem cross member and the back of the HF1A?

With the help of Dave @Japan4X4 I am trying to see if I can find all the parts I need to go the 1HD-FT/H55/split case setup. New transmission is pretty spendy and I also need a bell housing, plus shipping. I am starting to lean towards this combo if all the parts can be sourced. Although the built 12HT would be awesome, put out more power than the 1HD.

This may be unpopular among those wanting to drive longer ranges, but if I suffered an engine failure, I'd seriously consider something like this, an EV conversion:

If it was going to be an intown only rig that might be interesting

Although the built 12HT would be awesome, put out more power than the 1HD.

Without being 'that guy,' a 1HD is capable of more power than a 12HT any day of the week...

Well, the 1HD-FT hasn't run in over 10yrs so who knows what problems there might be lurking with the injectors and/or fuel pump. I had done the BEB's on it, replaced the timing belt/tensioner/water pump, removed the emissions crap(which still leaves to be seen if I did it right) replaced a number of other little hard lines and such. I also have a 12V starter for it. The 12HT I am also considering the guy rebuilding it claims 225ht/600torque and life span of at least 500,000km as long as it doesn't get overheated or I do anything stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom