AirDownGearUp SS1: Storage, Sleeper and Drawer System for 200 series (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any suggestions for some easily removable inserts for the bottom of the drawers? Looking for something that could be taken out & dumped easily vs having to vacuumed or wiped out.

I read most of this thread, but couldn't find an answer to my Q. My primary interest is the low weight and modular sleeper platform.

I currently have my recovery gear in duffle bags that I could slip underneath. However, I would be interested in just sticking it in a drawer IF I could just take the drawer out when I'm not going to be in the back country. Does anyone know if the drawer could be easily removed?

Also @calixto what's the details on the Husky container for your surf gear? I have the same use case! Would love to get the same model

I read most of this thread, but couldn't find an answer to my Q. My primary interest is the low weight and modular sleeper platform.

I currently have my recovery gear in duffle bags that I could slip underneath. However, I would be interested in just sticking it in a drawer IF I could just take the drawer out when I'm not going to be in the back country. Does anyone know if the drawer could be easily removed?

Also @calixto what's the details on the Husky container for your surf gear? I have the same use case! Would love to get the same model
Hi, yes drawer removal is fast and easy. You can watch it in real time in under a minute in this video. That's an old drawer revision, but the installation and removal is the same for current models.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

-Andy

I have two plastic containers in my empty side. Out of town now but I can look up the size when I get home. Got them at Home Depot so nothing too special but perfect for wet wetsuits & stuff like that.

Did a trip to SoDak and WY last week. SS1 did a great job for us. Wife and I slept in the back and had plenty of room.

The 1 drawer system works great for me: I have stuff in the drawer and can put the griddle, chairs and table on the right hand side. Other stuff gets, well stuffed, into the wings. Experimenting with what goes into the drawer, vs what get’s placed elsewhere, but there is tons of additional room.

I do plan on putting some carpet / fabric just to match the black carpet interior.

Thanks again guys, really like the setup

B

View attachment 2442471View attachment 2442473
I also have the sleeper system. I'm currently looking for a table that will fit on one side. Can you tell me which table you have?

Haven't yet installed my single passenger side drawer yet but I did find a nice Husky waterproof latched lid bin for my drivers side to hold my wetsuit & surf stuff. Nice option if you are constantly dealing with wet stuff you don't want to throw in your nice drawers. So stoked how flat the platform allows surfboards to lay while still allowing access to the area underneath. I also have two baby car seats behind the driver & middle seat.

View attachment 2707682
what are the dimensions of that Husky container?

what are the dimensions of that Husky container?
Correction....Per the label 26.9 L x 18.1W x 10.0 H with the lid on. This won't take up an entire section below the platform but it is well over half of one so you won't be able to fit two of these. I combo'ed my drivers side with one of these & a cheap HDX one

Last edited:
Here's my setup. Went with a half drawer half sleeper system. Love having an open side for bigger items that I can slide in and out.

PXL_20210721_235640446.jpg
PXL_20210716_181019749.jpg

Whats brand is your sleeping pad?

Whats brand is your sleeping pad?
That’s an exped megamat by the looks of it, fits perfectly and super comfortable. Worth the price in my opinion.

Yep, it's the Exped Megamat. It's super comfy and well worth the price. I tried both the 72x25" and 77x30". The 77x30 fits but will require you to slide the front seats up a bit. I think the 72x25 pad fits a bit better in that space for the half sleeper.

Last edited:
This system looks great!

Question: can you have the double sleeping platform AND mount a fridge or cooler on a slide out? I’m guessing not because it looks like the sleeping platform panels would fold up in the same place the fridge rails would go.

Related question: from a weight perspective, is it even feasible to mount a cooler on rails? I have an RTIC 65 quart large cooler. When it is full of ice and food, it weighs a ton. Would I need to move to a fridge system (from a weight perspective) to make this work?

Thx!

Grumvee

This system looks great!

Question: can you have the double sleeping platform AND mount a fridge or cooler on a slide out? I’m guessing not because it looks like the sleeping platform panels would fold up in the same place the fridge rails would go.

Related question: from a weight perspective, is it even feasible to mount a cooler on rails? I have an RTIC 65 quart large cooler. When it is full of ice and food, it weighs a ton. Would I need to move to a fridge system (from a weight perspective) to make this work?

Thx!

Grumvee
Double Sleeping Platform and a fridge/cooler: Yes, but you'll be removing the cooler/fridge if you want to sleep. You can strap a fridge or cooler to the platform with the sleeper fully deployed or stowed, but not during the transition.

One option for those seeking a fridge is to go with a drawer fridge, like the Dometic. That fits under one side of the system. You could use a supplemental cooler for the times you need more than 30-40 qts storage in the fridge.

Mounting cooler on rails: Absolutely. The slides we use (and what we'd make a fridge slide out of) are 250-500 lb capacity at full extension. Unless you're using your fridge to chill stones, I don't think it's possible to get close to 250 lbs. That 65 qt cooler holds about 130 lbs of water when completely full. Unless the empty cooler weighs another 120+ lbs, you're all good. :)

Thanks @suprarx7nut!

Any recommendations for vendors or cooler/fridge rails that are flat enough (with cooler removed) so the mattress is flat when the system is in “sleeping mode”?

thx!

Thanks @suprarx7nut!

Any recommendations for vendors or cooler/fridge rails that are flat enough (with cooler removed) so the mattress is flat when the system is in “sleeping mode”?

thx!
That's the tricky part. I'm not aware of any fridge slides that are anywhere near flat enough to not be felt under a mattress. Using a large fridge on a slide and having a full width sleeping platform are somewhat incompatible.

Some brainstorming ideas:

1. Use a Dometic or Engel drawer fridge under the platform. This still provides enough cold storage to be a game-changer over cooler camping and if you need LOTS of cold storage you can add a cooler to the mix.

OR

2. Simple static tie downs to mount the fridge topside on the platform *on top* of the stowed sleeper panels. We can add tie downs to accommodate this and they include our low profile ramps. so it can be slept on without jabbing your backside. When you arrive at camp, undo the ARB-type strap clamps and set the fridge where you'd set a cooler. Deploy the sleeper, done.

I'd pursue Option 1 because it's slick. You may need to put more thought into what goes into the fridge (2 beers at a time instead of the entire 6 pack, less meat/cheese/dairy, etc...), but it's just a better way to do it, IMO. Option 2 gives you more cold storage, but creates an annoyance at camp. Seamless and smooth camping is fun camping. I don't know of a seamless way to get a big fridge on top of a dual drawer system AND still sleep two people in the car.

Here I am happy with a fridge and going option 2 and then I learn that there are drawer fridges!?!?!?!?! Take my money!!!!

Seriously though, I had my fridge setup up option 2 (didn't camp) all last week in Ouray with just bungey cords to the 2 standard tie downs and it didn't move a bit. I'd just reach in and un-hook them when I stopped and wanted anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom