Aftermarket Wheel Thread (non Toyota, non TRD) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Adding info to the thread. I wanted to wait until I'd put a few thousand miles on my lift before doing so.

OME 2702 Front Coils
OME 2723 Rear Coils
Nitrocharger Shocks
Light Racing UCAs

Wheels/Tires:
BFG T/A KO2 285 75 r17s (33.9 x 11.5)
Icon Alloy Rebound Titanium

Right now I'm rubbing on the bumper while backing up and slightly turning. Full lock turn it does not rub. Happens in both directions. I haven't seen any indication that I'm hitting the KDSS arm like I did on my previous wheel/tire set up.

59342913_10217847328150871_3382182833161240576_o.jpg

Those look great.. Any Back Space on those? What are the specs?

Thanks,

John

Sorry for the delayed response. I just finished moving so forum time was a little less than normal. The specs are linked below. I believe it calculates out to 6.07” of backspacing.

SCS SR8. 18x9 with Ridge Grappler 285/65/18. I went back and forth on several setups before landing on this one. I loved the SR8’s and had seen the all gunmetal on an old post in a Tundra forum. Reached out to the guys at SCS and turns out they had 4 new ones left and a 5th with a blemish. We made a deal and I’m very happy with them. The 285’s fit with stock suspension and no rubbing.
A4B3686B-47F6-4A86-9690-040F3B605787.jpeg
730445F6-B1B2-49DD-835F-C3FA53FA3C4F.jpeg
E765CD51-B4AA-4B62-9E54-71DE7C1A2DF6.jpeg

TRD Pro Style Wheels 20x9 w/ 285/55R20 BFG KO2's

IMG_4421.jpg

So I was going to pull the trigger on a 20 Heritage, but my wife insisted on the 3rd row, so that's what I got. I really liked the bronze colored rims against black, so I want to get something similar in the aftermarket.

I'm getting an Icon Lift (need to confirm if its stage 5 or 6) along with some Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70/R18's. I was thinking since I saved a bunch on the base vs. Heritage, I can splurge on some new rims. I'm thinking about going with the Rays/Volk TE-37 PCD Prog in Bronze (5x150 +0 offset, 9.0 rim). I really like the way they look, and their weight.

A couple of questions:

1) I assume the 9.0 vs 9.5's are the way to go here
2) How much hacking will I need to do to make these fit with my tire choice of tire and lift?
3) I do plan to do some offloading with this, but nothing ridiculous. I assume these rims will hold up to that?
4) Best place to order? (any recommended vendors?) My understanding is that these are usually special order, but if anyone knows a place that has them in-stock, I'd love to have them sooner rather than 4-5 months from now.
5) Anything else I need to know or gotcha's?

I do plan to eventually do some sliders/bumpers, but that will probably wait till I move out to CO in a year.

Thanks for any help anyone can give a newb!

@Trukk ,

Do a search for posts on volk wheels by @RS6tofj80 .

He had volk wheels like you are interested in.
Should be lots of pics in his build thread.
Was a beauty of a truck.

@Trukk ,

Do a search for posts on volk wheels by @RS6tofj80 .

He had volk wheels like you are interested in.
Should be lots of pics in his build thread.
Was a beauty of a truck.

@TexAZ,

Thanks so much for the reply. I went though 24 pages of posts by @RS6tofj80 . As his username indicates, it seemed to be all Series 80-centric. I did see a couple of posts about so 20" Volks on a 200, but I'm not interested in 20's, and it didn't seem to have any technical info. If you could point me to something I missed, I'd appreciate it. I do try to use the search function, and not be a "post first" type of guy, but I couldn't find the info which is why I posted.

Earlier is this thread "@Obi Wong Kenobi" posted a pic, and model info, but not much about tire size, rim width or exact fitment challenges:

Thanks again for your reply, it is much appreciated!

The Braid or EvoCorse will be better fitting wheels.

Also for probably $100 a wheel you could get OEM wheel done whatever shade of bronze you wanted.

The Braid or EvoCorse will be better fitting wheels.

Also for probably $100 a wheel you could get OEM wheel done whatever shade of bronze you wanted.

I really like the weight savings on the Volks. I want to go up to just under 34", that is getting a bit large, and I don't want to change any gears. I'd really like to know from someone that has fitted them what to expect from the 18x9's with 285/70R18's.

I've looked at the EvoCorse, and those are not for me. Do you have a link to the Braid's you are talking about?

Your tire choice will save you more weight than Volks. Also offsets are not Offroad friendly on Volks. Plus you will be close to $3k to $4k to shave maybe 50 total unsprung pounds. We all drive pigs. It will not make a bit of difference.

Braid Dakar wheels but they are similar in style to EvoCorse.

Are you going to run a P metric tire or LT?

I was planning on LT's.

Then don’t worry about the weight. Save yourself the $3 to $4k

Or just spend the $2500 and get the OEM wheels. Or watch craigslist they will pop up

@Trukk check this and a couple posts below it.. looks like it might work. Those look like 0 offset wheels.

Then don’t worry about the weight. Save yourself the $3 to $4k

Or just spend the $2500 and get the OEM wheels. Or watch craigslist they will pop up

I appreciate the feedback. Its not really a money issue for me. I just want to make sure if I go this route, that i'm not going to have major fitment issues with my lift/rim/tire choice. Some minor trimming, or mallet work is not a big deal. Moving KDSS or other major suspension bits (or the need to seriously hack on the sheet metal) would give me pause.

Also, saving 50lbs of unsprung rotational weight is nothing to sneeze at. It will help offset some of the weight gain of the larger tires. At the end of the day you are right though, these are big pigs :D

Last edited:
I am in the aftermarket wheel business. You will have issue with a 0 offset if you actually use the truck. Or be ready to trim your ass off.

285/70/18 with OEM wheel will accomplish everything you need to do.

there is a reason Rock Warriors pull the money they do. All aftermarket wheels in 5x150 are made for Tundra.

Braid will make you any offset and color you want. I would not go over 18x9 40offset to keep everything where it needs to be.

If you are worried on LBs then you better look hard at tires. There is easily a 20lb per tire difference in brands.

I am always on look for better offsets for the lift LXs I do.

keep an eye out on Icon they should have updated LC styles.

Money no object. Vossen can build you any style and color you want and some of the lightest around. Also some for HRE.

@TexAZ,

Thanks so much for the reply. I went though 24 pages of posts by @RS6tofj80 . As his username indicates, it seemed to be all Series 80-centric. I did see a couple of posts about so 20" Volks on a 200, but I'm not interested in 20's, and it didn't seem to have any technical info. If you could point me to something I missed, I'd appreciate it. I do try to use the search function, and not be a "post first" type of guy, but I couldn't find the info which is why I posted.

Earlier is this thread "@Obi Wong Kenobi" posted a pic, and model info, but not much about tire size, rim width or exact fitment challenges:

Thanks again for your reply, it is much appreciated!

Sorry man - I've built a few rigs.... this is the right thread....

They were amazing rims and held up great....

on the current 80 I've got SCS's in 17x9....

IMG_20191001_080259476_HDR.jpg

I was able to find this about the Volks. Food for thought:

They fit with a bit of cutting and a BFH to the body mount..... heck I ran 37's for a bit .... 35's are perfect .... but will mean regearing, and while you're in there you should do lockers ... and ....I haven't read your thoughts fully but the long travel front was worth doing if you can - might be more options on that now as well - I know Baja did a prototype...

cheers

E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom