Adding a new Brake Booster to an early Non-booster FJ-40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How long is your MC? I am looking to add a booster and Racer65 sent me to this thread. I have the JT adapter to an older Toyota MC now because it has front discs. Also what are the dimensions on that booster? Id like to compare.

IMG_0155.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG

Same combo I'm running. Only difference is I used an adapter at the firewall. It's stops better than my 80.

On my '66 w/SBC I used all '82 mini parts. Welded the steel spacer to the firewall, trimmed the vertical stiffening brace and used a prop vale from a '76 cruiser that bolted right onto the m/c mount.

The brake pedal from the early 40 was NOT compatible with the travel required to get proper braking. I had to cut pedal arm and raise the foot pad about an inch to achieve correct pedal travel.

This was all back in the early '80s before any of this stuff was mainstream an otc for parts and knowledge.

JT Outfitters makes a spacer
I have the JT spacer now running my master for the disc brake conversion, but no booster. The studs on the booster wont work with the spacer which is designed for the through holes of the MC. Is there some other spacer I have not seen yet?

I originally orders the JT Outfitters one but cancelled the order due to them not sending it. I can't remember off hand where I got the other one. FJ Parts maybe?

looking at this conversion for my V (LV). It looks like the city racer booster suits the small hole on the firewall, unlike the larger hole on later models. do you know if there is a toyota equivalent booster that may also fit the small hole. If you didnt have the carby clearance issues is there another way you might have gone, that could work better. Mine is RHD and wont have carby clearance issues. Thanks for the write up:) hoping to avoid installing a later pedal box and any unnecessary mods. thanks

looking at this conversion for my V (LV). It looks like the city racer booster suits the small hole on the firewall, unlike the larger hole on later models. do you know if there is a toyota equivalent booster that may also fit the small hole. If you didnt have the carby clearance issues is there another way you might have gone, that could work better. Mine is RHD and wont have carby clearance issues. Thanks for the write up:) hoping to avoid installing a later pedal box and any unnecessary mods. thanks

Mine has been trouble free. Would not change a thing. I just don’t like the spacer. Cutting the brace has been a non issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom