A/T Tires - Please Post Picks **275/65/18 & 275/70/18** (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@KYLandy

Thank you ... I am still running my AHC system and am "posing" in High. Here's a few pics in "N" ... this was before I did the wheels as well

View attachment 1435663View attachment 1435664
Perfect! I still have my AHC, too. How's the ride and noise with those tires? Any complaints? Rubbing? I'm about to throw on a set of the same size after months of obsessing about it! Figured I would go straight to the 33's. Still need to remove my running boards and get some skid plates. That's about all I want todo since it is still my DD. Need to make sure I can still fit in under my garage door with 33's, too!

Perfect! I still have my AHC, too. How's the ride and noise with those tires? Any complaints? Rubbing? I'm about to throw on a set of the same size after months of obsessing about it! Figured I would go straight to the 33's. Still need to remove my running boards and get some skid plates. That's about all I want todo since it is still my DD. Need to make sure I can still fit in under my garage door with 33's, too!
I have a Gobi rack and lights on mine and it will fit in the garage on low. No rubbing ever with a 275/70/18.

I'm still a bit torn re: the larger volume 16" tires/wheels or the Tundra 18", but leaning toward the 18". The current radials I have on the truck are nice, though the larger wheels are a nice look..

Decisions, Decisions.... :S

I'm still a bit torn re: the larger volume 16" tires/wheels or the Tundra 18", but leaning toward the 18". The current radials I have on the truck are nice, though the larger wheels are a nice look..

Decisions, Decisions.... :S
If you plan on rough terrainthen the 16s are a no brainer. If looks are important the the 18s. That said, I've been in some pretty rough stuff and so far the 18s are doing well.

If you plan on rough terrainthen the 16s are a no brainer. If looks are important the the 18s. That said, I've been in some pretty rough stuff and so far the 18s are doing well.

Yeah, I'm going to get the Tundra wheels, I'm pretty sure with some K02s. Seems to be the standard config around these parts. :) Though, I was also considering plasti-dipping my existing wheels with anthracite color and doing the same K02 but in 285/70/16 (i think that was the right size for a higher volume tire on the 16).

Can't lose either way. Can I expect worse gas mileage with 18s?

Yeah, I'm going to get the Tundra wheels, I'm pretty sure with some K02s. Seems to be the standard config around these parts. :) Though, I was also considering plasti-dipping my existing wheels with anthracite color and doing the same K02 but in 285/70/16 (i think that was the right size for a higher volume tire on the 16).

Can't lose either way. Can I expect worse gas mileage with 18s?
I would image just a little. My rig gets about 13.4 mpg on the freeway. However, I never adjusted my speedometer after I put the new tires on, so I'm not sure the computer is calculating correctly. If you are going deep in the back country i'd recommend gas cans regardless. I don't have them and I've been nervous a few times. They are on my list.

I would image just a little. My rig gets about 13.4 mpg on the freeway. However, I never adjusted my speedometer after I put the new tires on, so I'm not sure the computer is calculating correctly. If you are going deep in the back country i'd recommend gas cans regardless. I don't have them and I've been nervous a few times. They are on my list.

I did not think the speedo could be calibrated on the 100 series. Am I wrong?

Hi I have been watching this board for some time and wow it contains great information for LX470 owners. So I have a black 2006 LX470 all completely stock. I have 165K on it now and am getting ready to move up to more aggressive tires from the stock 275/60R18 and I also plan on removing the running boards. Based on this thread, I will be getting 4 (maybe 5) in either 275/65R18 or 275/70R18 (either KO2 or AT2). It sounds like the general preference is the 33". Currently I am running Yoko A/T-S. They have been fine but looking for a more aggressive look. I have a few questions that I hope this board can help me with:
1- Rubbing - It sounds like either size will work fine with no rubbing
2- Will the spare fit? I have the stock LX hitch setup. Right now even the original spare fits pretty tight.
3- I would guess the odometer would be affected..is this significant?
4- If I go 65 instead of 70 I can get the AT2 in a lower load rating..44lb tire vs 56lb and I would think a less harsh ride with the 65. Thoughts?
5- Handling - Will the vehicle handle much differently with the larger tire size and any other noticeable changes (more harsh ride, road noise etc)?
6- AHC - So far its working fine. No issues. Will I need to make any adjustment to it?

This will still be a daily driver and 90% highway. However, it will be on the DE beach and also in the Vermont winters a few times a year. As you can tell from my questions, I am not really very knowledgeable from a mechanical perspective...I do my own oil, plugs and fluids and that's about it. Here is a pic of my completely stock rig. Thanks in advance for any assistance!
LX470.jpg

Hi I have been watching this board for some time and wow it contains great information for LX470 owners. So I have a black 2006 LX470 all completely stock. I have 165K on it now and am getting ready to move up to more aggressive tires from the stock 275/60R18 and I also plan on removing the running boards. Based on this thread, I will be getting 4 (maybe 5) in either 275/65R18 or 275/70R18 (either KO2 or AT2). It sounds like the general preference is the 33". Currently I am running Yoko A/T-S. They have been fine but looking for a more aggressive look. I have a few questions that I hope this board can help me with:
1- Rubbing - It sounds like either size will work fine with no rubbing
2- Will the spare fit? I have the stock LX hitch setup. Right now even the original spare fits pretty tight.
3- I would guess the odometer would be affected..is this significant?
4- If I go 65 instead of 70 I can get the AT2 in a lower load rating..44lb tire vs 56lb and I would think a less harsh ride with the 65. Thoughts?
5- Handling - Will the vehicle handle much differently with the larger tire size and any other noticeable changes (more harsh ride, road noise etc)?
6- AHC - So far its working fine. No issues. Will I need to make any adjustment to it?

This will still be a daily driver and 90% highway. However, it will be on the DE beach and also in the Vermont winters a few times a year. As you can tell from my questions, I am not really very knowledgeable from a mechanical perspective...I do my own oil, plugs and fluids and that's about it. Here is a pic of my completely stock rig. Thanks in advance for any assistance!View attachment 1436707
Your rig looks clean!)
1. Neither will rub
2. The spare WILL fit!
3. Not sure how much the odo is off. Likely a few mph at 65.
4. Less weight on a tire means smaller sidewall thickness and less durability. My 33s didn't change the ride quality.
5. Handling is great.
6. Does not affect and. Make sure you are keeping your ahc maintained. Fluid changes and pressure needs to be checked annually.
Enjoy!

Thanks JB. I apprecise the response. My only remaining concern is the spare fit. Reading this forum and a few others, the "will the spare fit" question is pretty common and about 80% of the responses say with respect to the 275/70R18 "yes, no problem". However, there are a few threads in which the posters indicate that the spare 275/70R18 will not fit for them. Is there a certain year LC or LX in which the spare fit is a problem? With my luck it would be my vehicle. Here are pics of my current hitch and spare (275/60R18). Any additional input would be great.
20170407_163837.jpg

20170407_163846.jpg

Thanks JB. I apprecise the response. My only remaining concern is the spare fit. Reading this forum and a few others, the "will the spare fit" question is pretty common and about 80% of the responses say with respect to the 275/70R18 "yes, no problem". However, there are a few threads in which the posters indicate that the spare 275/70R18 will not fit for them. Is there a certain year LC or LX in which the spare fit is a problem? With my luck it would be my vehicle. Here are pics of my current hitch and spare (275/60R18). Any additional input would be great.View attachment 1438133

View attachment 1438139
I think we have the same model and year. 2006 lx470. Mine fit no problem. Ask the tire company to put the spare on to test it before you buy the 5th tire. If it's a good tire company they should do it for free.
American Tire here in Roseville CA tested mine before payment.

Awesome thanks. Yes. My LX is stock 2006. Do the pics of my hitch look similar to yours? I have read different hitch system descriptions on this forum including "traditional frame mounted", "LX built-in option", "integrated" and other descriptions. I am not sure what I have...as far as I know it's 2006 LX stock.

Sorry... not the best picture but new BFG KO2s on 18 in Tundra steels.

IMG_1721_zps8y5d5gxl.jpg
od4x4. that's what I'm looking for on my rig, pm'd you for more info....looks awesome!

Last edited:
Waking this up to ask for recs--I was 100% installing Bridgestone A/T KO2 size 285/75R16 on my 02 LC until today, when my mechanic (whom I trust) said he's had a lot of folks be disappointed with the ride at highway speeds. He agrees they look great, but advised I might back it down to a Dueler. I do care about highway ride, but also want to be comfortable with my tire choice for driving on the beach and light off-roading for camping, etc. I will have to drive highways at 70 or so to get many of the places I want to take the LC.

If I don't go with the KO2s, I'd probably still get 285s. All tires in that size seem to have E1 load range. Any recommendations?

Waking this up to ask for recs--I was 100% installing Bridgestone A/T KO2 size 285/75R16 on my 02 LC until today, when my mechanic (whom I trust) said he's had a lot of folks be disappointed with the ride at highway speeds. He agrees they look great, but advised I might back it down to a Dueler. I do care about highway ride, but also want to be comfortable with my tire choice for driving on the beach and light off-roading for camping, etc. I will have to drive highways at 70 or so to get many of the places I want to take the LC.

If I don't go with the KO2s, I'd probably still get 285s. All tires in that size seem to have E1 load range. Any recommendations?
I would ask your mechanic what PSI he is seeing. I am running at 35 and highway ride is very good/excellent. When I first had my BFG's put on, Discount had them up around 45 and I could feel every crack in the road. Not trying to start a PSI discussion - there is another thread for that. I came from the Michelin Lattitude and I can only feel a slight perceptible difference. I also had them road force balanced.

My .02

Last edited:
This is where load index should be used. You only need enough air to match the load index of the OEM tires. On my 2006 LC the load index was 111 which is 2,005 on an SL tire at 29 PSI front and 2,178 at 32 PSI rear and when towing 32 PSI Front and 35 PSI rear. On an "E" rated tire like the BFG KO2, you need a little more air to achieve the same ride but nowhere near the max. Based on the load inflation tables, I would only need as much air in the "E" tire as necessary to support the same load on the front and rear, respectively. That would be somewhere around 35 PSI front and 38 PSI rear according to the inflation tables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom