Builds A not so informative LJ78 'build' thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That looks exactly like the turbo I bought, even down to the blue plastic caps. It held up fine for me, but the person that bought my Prado had the wastegate break off the bracket and leak boost. I have wondered if there is a way to reinforce the wastegate.

I don't remember which vendor I bought from, but I finally came to the conclusion that all of the Chinese turbos were probably pretty much identical (they looked like it from the photos) so I just got the one that was the best price and came with all the gaskets.

Working on the new exhaust. Thought I'd go this route. Hope I have enough room. We'll see.

P1020567.JPG

P1020569.JPG

Well, another project to check off the list. 2 1/2 inch exhaust. So as mentioned above, the V-band idea did NOT work. Too little room. Cut the band off and welded directly to flange. Initial thoughts, I would say it's running cooler, maybe 50-100 degrees cooler. The Jones resonator and short pipe is louder but, I like it. :D The new turbo is producing 13 lbs of boost on the meter. The old one was 10 max. I bought a manual boost controller because the listing for the turbo said it had an 8 lb wastegate??? Now at 13, not sure I want or need more.
P1020649.JPG

P1020650.JPG

P1020651.JPG

Last edited:
Jimmy, really nice work on that exhaust! Just curious, if any other 70 series owners out there have come up with a "exhaust / rock slider" work around. If anyone has any pics they can post or links to projects they did that have sliders on the right hand side of the vehicle that don't interfere with the center section of the exhaust.

I don't obviously, but Dprio34, I do remember you were following because of your turbo. That reminded me that with my new turbo, all my observable smoke is gone! I'd have to guess that the seals were going on it and the oil getting through into the over tube was the cause for it.

Jimmy, thanks for that update! I need to get a new turbo then. I just been just a bit lazy since finishing the last project with the engine swap. That wore me out a bit. I want the new exhaust and turbo, but I'm going to try incorporating the rock sliders as well. I've seen rock sliders on 70 series, but not sure how the exhaust was treated on the RH side.
When I figure it out, I'll post some pics.

Cheers,
Don

Well, once again a summer is winding down and I didn't get everything done I wanted to. September is archery Elk season for me so I'm pushing off the Intercooler until fall. But, I did get started by pulling the bumper and grill and since I had them off, why not touch them up!
P1020655.JPG

Clean around your holes before pulling them out so that no gunk goes in. Make sure strap is clean electro sol type stuff it. Once strap is off check each plug for identical ohms so you know what goes on(rough cold start/idle)never had a prado but did take one apart to source bits and pieces for a bj70. Comfy front seatsalt/temp pod and doors wo any hint of rust. Really nice cruiser you have there

Got started on the IC project and am waiting to get it up and running before I throw the pictures and write up on this thread. Unfortunately another cancer tumor has appeared and I'm headed back to the surgeon this coming week. Good news is I may have more time to putz around on the project and get it done, once I've recuperated. We'll see how it goes. Hug those you love!

Got started on the IC project and am waiting to get it up and running before I throw the pictures and write up on this thread. Unfortunately another cancer tumor has appeared and I'm headed back to the surgeon this coming week. Good news is I may have more time to putz around on the project and get it done, once I've recuperated. We'll see how it goes. Hug those you love!

Keep up the good work and I really hope all goes well with the doc and you recuperate quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom