Builds A not so informative LJ78 'build' thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, the fan ticks so I will be mod-ing the shroud. On another note I got the snorkel fitted today! Here you go @clintnz you smuggler! LOL

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

Last edited:
Swapped out corner, Blinker and Tail lights for LED.

IMG_2257.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg

Had a C-13 LED flasher, but the socket the flasher fits into has raised edges and the new one was a little bigger than the Toyota version so it doesn't make contact. Need to find an LED Flasher that will fit the 70 series design.

Swapped out corner, Blinker and Tail lights for LED.

View attachment 1705137
View attachment 1705138
Had a C-13 LED flasher, but the socket the flasher fits into has raised edges and the new one was a little bigger than the Toyota version so it doesn't make contact. Need to find an LED Flasher that will fit the 70 series design.
So, just FYI for anyone else the does the LED thing. Once the flasher relay is removed the plastic “tray” it fits into will simply come out and you can then plug in the newer larger led friendly relay.

The girl finally got her new shoes!

file-1.jpeg

file1-1.jpeg

255/85/16's

And with that, I think I'm done with the project. From this point forward it will be repairs and pics of some of the fun I'm looking forward to. I still plan to upgrade the alternator when it starts to go, and I need to do the Redtek AC fix.

For the curious, I'd say my EGT's (post turbo) are cooler by about 150-200 degrees F, with the mods in this thread.

Not bad for a non-mechanic, first time mod-er, at least in my book.

Looks amazing Jimmy! Very nice work!

Have you played with the tuning at all? Now that you have the supporting modifications, you can release some of those wild horses! More boost will only drop your EGT further.

When I took my old engine and turbo apart, there was no indication that running high boost and more fuel had any negative impact on the motor. Piston ring lands were perfectly to spec. And the turbo internals had virtually no wear. All the bottom end bearings were perfect still. This pistons were actually a serious work of engineering. They appear to be forged or semi-forged. They have some special coating around them. They are very heavy duty. The whole crown has a oil cooling passage in it as well. Not even sure how they made that; might be a two piece assembly. The oil sprays into a large hole in the bottom of the piston from an oil cooler nozzle (in the block). The oil circles around the inside crown of the piston, and drains out a slightly smaller hole on the other side of the piston. It also drains out several smaller holes that help with lubrication. They are pretty impressive.

My issues with the bottom end of my old 2LTE had nothing to do with the tune of the motor, but were legacy issues from the previous owners (letting cylinder bores rust). And also related to my running a crappy 30w oil last summer (that completely broke down on me), combined with my poor water injection nozzle placement.

The suspension is a marked improvement over the stock. No big surprise there. With the new tires it has really become a smooth fancy ride. It’s alittle softer than I’m used to in my truck and sidekick, but I gotta say it ain’t bad at all. Have you decided on your Intercooler yet?

Not yet. I just got back from vacation Friday night. Still suffering from jet lag.
I will be really looking at it in the very near future.
I probably will be talking to you at some point about yours to see how you are liking it. Maybe see if I can con you into asking your son to weld me one up like yours. I really liked the location of yours when I saw it. I just wanted to see if it heat soaked on the top of the engine like that. I am thinking it probably won't ,too bad, since it's air/water.

So, I pulled the Fan Clutch and shroud to change the silicone in the hub and attach the HZJ7X fan.

View attachment 1702492

Replaced the silicone per the Blue Hub Mod thread with 10,000 silicone. The fan fits but, it does just touch the OEM fan shroud at the top where it slopes down to the front of the vehicle. So some modification will be necessary.

Jim,

Thanks for sharing these great tips. I'm looking to do the same fan and fan/clutch upgrade and wanted to know where you bought the fan from and Part Number. Much appreciate your help!

Jim,

Thanks for sharing these great tips. I'm looking to do the same fan and fan/clutch upgrade and wanted to know where you bought the fan from and Part Number. Much appreciate your help!

Well, after almost 2 years of searching and trying to track down a single 16" wheel to match, I came by one almost by accident just recently from a very kind mudder! After a quick trip to the media blaster, it's ready for a tire to make my spare match!
Progress....

file.jpeg

The girl finally got her new shoes!

View attachment 1713471
View attachment 1713472
255/85/16's

And with that, I think I'm done with the project. From this point forward it will be repairs and pics of some of the fun I'm looking forward to. I still plan to upgrade the alternator when it starts to go, and I need to do the Redtek AC fix.

For the curious, I'd say my EGT's (post turbo) are cooler by about 150-200 degrees F, with the mods in this thread.

Not bad for a non-mechanic, first time mod-er, at least in my book.

Jimmy this work (all the mods, IC, etc) has been super helpful. Thank you for posting so many great pics and descriptions of your work!

Alright, So, I had to remove the Venturi to try and get the plates out. The small plate came out fine. The Large plate, (in my case) appeared to have been more riveted than screwed in. I took it to a machine shop in town and the guy didn't want to touch it. Hmmm Fortunatly we have two shops and the guy at the second had me out the door in 20 minutes! Look at all that air!
View attachment 1307690

For blocking off the the EGR ports, I'm fortunate to have a couple of pipe welding sons who know their way around metal. So I had a metal block made for the exhaust port and for the intake manifold port, because the transmission dipstick is attached via a bracket, he made the block out of aluminum x 6 to get the right fit. Kinda pretty.
View attachment 1307694

Here she is buttoned up.
View attachment 1307696

Next up is an oil catch can, but I have to remove the hood for that. Once the engine is taken care of as best I can, i'll move on the fun part of the build.

Any chance that anyone has done machine shop drawings/mock-up for the block off plates? Other advice of pre-work that can be done prior to tearing into this EGR delete project?

Honestly, probably not. Most of us just make them on the fly using the gasket as a pattern.
And, there isn't really anything else that could be done in prep for the EGR delete. Basically ,it all comes off and goes in the garbage, or wherever. And you block off those 2 manifold ports and a couple of vacuum lines. Easy as can be. Except, for the pipe that goes behind the engine to the exhaust manifold. It can be a bit of a challenge if the bolts on the exhaust end are rusty. Alternatively ,it can be blocked off on the other end and left behind the engine with the same results. That part really depends on how particular you are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom