Events/Trails 9th Annual 100s in the Hills *SILVERTON COLORADO* July 24-29 2019 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hear you on that. It wasn't too bad when I went to BBNP. Takes about 5 minutes to put everything up. But, I'm actively researching light trailer options so that I can base-camp going forward. I also have the ARB2500 awning and associated "room". I'd rather have all that mounted to a Morris Mule or some similar type of trailer so I can just setup and tear down once.

The MAJOR thing I have with the RTT is that I can no longer park in my garage.....at home OR at work :(

FYI, you can get replacement legs for the awning for about 12 bucks. We broke ours last year because I am brilliant and didn't slope it much "oh it wont rain"... during the raffle it buckled. The room is great, it just takes forever to setup. Would be super nice on a trailer though. I think my ideal setup would be an "offroad" "Little Guy" with a roof rack and an awning on the back and the side... but those things are not cheap!

I do have a comfort cot from REI...I am currently trying to see if I can swing an air down gear up platform. And I will go with a blow up mattress and or a folding foam pad. I will have to do some Reflectix or something on the windows, at least on the way out since you can overnight for free at Walmarts!
Dude, I have a bunch of different size REI tents you can borrow from backpacking 2+ all the way up to the Base Camp 6-man. They are fantastic and will keep you dry if it rains. I've used all of them before I got soft and bought my popup camper.

Dude, I have a bunch of different size REI tents you can borrow from backpacking 2+ all the way up to the Base Camp 6-man. They are fantastic and will keep you dry if it rains. I've used all of them before I got soft and bought my popup camper.

I have a few and will bring one just in case sleeping inside the truck sucks. It's going to be a nice/different change of pace in only having to worry about myself on a trip like this!

I have a few and will bring one just in case sleeping inside the truck sucks. It's going to be a nice/different change of pace in only having to worry about myself on a trip like this!
@aaronrules gonna miss having your boy running around on the deck with a nerf gun screaming "I'm gonna kill you!" Always enjoyed how he could "offend the Californians" as you said.

I love sleeping in the truck. Super quick and easy, no chance of getting wet. I bought the WindowSOX covers that are fitted for the rear windows, and have vent visors so can crack or open the windows as much as needed. The rear quarter vent windows are nice to keep cracked too.

I have a drawer system, and with the pass seat pushed up and forward as far as it will go, it makes a nice "headrest."

As an added bonus, now that we all know you'll be sleeping in your truck we will be sure to come by at 2am and give it a good shake each night!

I hear you on that. It wasn't too bad when I went to BBNP. Takes about 5 minutes to put everything up. But, I'm actively researching light trailer options so that I can base-camp going forward. I also have the ARB2500 awning and associated "room". I'd rather have all that mounted to a Morris Mule or some similar type of trailer so I can just setup and tear down once.

The MAJOR thing I have with the RTT is that I can no longer park in my garage.....at home OR at work :(
A trailer does make it easy to set up basecamp and roll out. But, it's another project to build as well. @ntsaint , @Bloomer and I all bought M416 trailers and outfitted them. Here's the #southerncruisers crew's setups from last year.

IMG_20180712_205701.jpg

Ben @fireball and Tom @LCReunion joined us with their families for the last two nights before HIH to run Stony Pass on the way into Silverton. Great people and was a fun ride.

IMG_3560-X2.jpg

IMG_20180712_125800.jpg

Last edited:
A trailer does make it easy to set up basecamp and roll out. But, it's another project to build as well. @ntsaint , @Bloomer and I all bought M416 trailers and outfitted them. Here's the #southerncruisers crew's setups from last year.

View attachment 1933305

Ben and Tom joined us with their families for the last two nights before HIH to run Stony Pass on the way into Silverton. Great people and was a fun ride.

View attachment 1933314

View attachment 1933315

NICE! I'm really leaning towards the Morris Mule. My truck has been an ongoing project and not really wanting another project to undertake. The Mule seems to be ready to roll right out of the box. I have a dealer in Dallas that has 4 in stock. Going to head up and check them out this weekend. If I had the time and wasn't such a "convenience enthusiast", I'd follow your route and build my own to save a few bucks.

NICE! I'm really leaning towards the Morris Mule. My truck has been an ongoing project and not really wanting another project to undertake. The Mule seems to be ready to roll right out of the box. I have a dealer in Dallas that has 4 in stock. Going to head up and check them out this weekend. If I had the time and wasn't such a "convenience enthusiast", I'd follow your route and build my own to save a few bucks.
They build those about an hour from me in Anniston. That was the direction I was going to until a m416 came up for sale on mud. I just repacked the axle bearings, rewired it, added new lighting, tires and a RTT and have enjoyed the heck out of it. I like the fact that all i have to do to leave town is pack clothes, hook up the trailer and take off.

IMG_20180709_120028.jpg

Last edited:
They build those about an hour from me in Anniston. That was the direction I was going to until a m416 came up for sale on mud. I repack axle bearings, rewired it, added new lighting and a RTT and have enjoyed the heck out of it. I like the fact that all i have to do to leave town is pack clothes, hook up the trailer and take off.

View attachment 1933435

I LOVE the idea of things being that simple. Great Sand Dunes I see! LOVE that place and especially Medano Pass.

View attachment 1933305

Ben and Tom joined us with their families for the last two nights before HIH to run Stony Pass on the way into Silverton. Great people and was a fun ride.

View attachment 1933314

View attachment 1933315
My family had a great time with you guys! so thankful you let us tag along. Great pre-HIH8 trails and the best remote camping spots!
Didn't sign up this year, due to too many commitments this year(and it's killing me) but plan to be back next year. Great to hear you guys all got in. Its getting harder every year. But Stan and Chris(great guys) are right to keep it to 100 rigs. Guess it's just time to add some more events! Arkansas idea sounds great. There are also some great areas around Lake Powell if anyone is interested. Thanks again. Long Live #southerncruisers

My family had a great time with you guys! so thankful you let us tag along. Great pre-HIH8 trails and the best remote camping spots!
Didn't sign up this year, due to too many commitments this year(and it's killing me) but plan to be back next year. Great to hear you guys all got in. Its getting harder every year. But Stan and Chris(great guys) are right to keep it to 100 rigs. Guess it's just time to add some more events! Arkansas idea sounds great. There are also some great areas around Lake Powell if anyone is interested. Thanks again. Long Live #southerncruisers
It was good having you and your family, as well as Ben (@fireball) and his, along for a couple days. Hope we can get together again. Sorry to hear that y’all won’t make it this year.

I looked in the Trails and Events section, but I couldn't find anything about the southern cruisers and HIH this year...is there a thread somewhere? Depending on dates, I would like to hook with you guys this year!

I looked in the Trails and Events section, but I couldn't find anything about the southern cruisers and HIH this year...is there a thread somewhere? Depending on dates, I would like to hook with you guys this year!
No thread because this year because we're leaving the trailers at home and basing out of Silverton for the entire week and doing day trips to see stuff we haven't run before. More laid back year after bouncing around the last two years before HIH. Think I'm headed out on the 18th.

My 5 week old son received this gift today. Should fit him perfectly in July.

Well that's kind of genius.
Thx, need to do a write up, lots of trial and error w cots, ways to secure front legs... slept just fine. mini motorhome, guess i could have turned on video to watch movies, lol.

No thread because this year because we're leaving the trailers at home and basing out of Silverton for the entire week and doing day trips to see stuff we haven't run before. More laid back year after bouncing around the last two years before HIH. Think I'm headed out on the 18th.
I'm planning to be there early as well, like probably Friday night the week before. Not sure if I will look for a spot in town RV park or try the Molas Lake CG or up Mineral Creek though. I want to scout out some fly fishing spots for beginners and maybe offer some unofficial fly fishing thing for folks that want to try it out, when I'm not helping out with official runs.

I'm planning to be there early as well, like probably Friday night the week before. Not sure if I will look for a spot in town RV park or try the Molas Lake CG or up Mineral Creek though. I want to scout out some fly fishing spots for beginners and maybe offer some unofficial fly fishing thing for folks that want to try it out, when I'm not helping out with official runs.

Definitely up for some fly fishing! TU has a fishery a couple hours north (Central Tx) where there is an effort to establish a sustaining population of rainbow and browns. Have had some (limited) success with hold overs of rainbows (trying browns this year), but it’s just too hot in the summer to do any freshwater fly fishing; hold overs stay deep in the cooler water (and it’s just not safe for the trout to expose them to the warmer waters). So, a chance to catch a freshwater trout in summer is a real treat!

Last edited:
Looking at my calendar, I will probably be out there the weekend before and would love to hang out and fish and do trails and stuff!

@bamabrock @aaronrules @marcfj60 @Bloomer .... I'll be up there in Silverton starting on that Monday 7/22. I'll be rolling in from the north as I'll head up to Salida first and then come down via gravel routes from Marshall Pass to Los Pinos into Lake City and then over Cinnamon down to Silverton on that Sunday. I'll be running a bunch of the non-HIH trails (Maggie, Minnie, Eureka, Burns Gulches....Stony Pass to Kite Lake....Kendall Mountain....Ophir to Bolam Pass and Lime Creek Rd). Might even head down to Ouray and do Yankee Boy/Governor and Sydney Basins. Anyone up there at that time is more than welcome to join me. I've been on all these trails multiple times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom