99 LX470 - Steering wheel options (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bumping this with some additional info for anyone who is interested in the Taiwan-made LX/LC steering wheels.

I just did the swap, and I am glad I did. My original wheel was beat, and the Wheelskin I had over it was beat too. Anything would be an improvement, but this is actually nice.

Quality is good, fitment is good after some trimming - see below. The brown wood and tan/gray leatherette are close enough to my tan/oak interior that the difference is no big deal. Looks better in real life than most pictures.

I got this one:

"Steering Wheel Wood Grain Leather Grip For Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Lexus LX470"

Seller is Euromotorsport USA

$305 shipped.

* Make sure the wheel you are getting is for the 98-02 LX/LC. The later models are different.

The black plastic molding on the new wheel definitely needs to be trimmed, both for the airbag as well as the cowl. I did the trimming with the new wheel off so I could test fit the airbag before installing the wheel. Used a new box cutter blade and it was easy enough.

In the pic below I circled the hot spots. The airbag makes contact in all four spots, and it needs to fit clean so that the Torx screws can grab from the sides. When you test fit the airbag it will make sense where to trim.

The cowl grabs from behind at the bottom two hot spots. If you don't trim enough there, the cowl will sit proud and the engine side of it will rub against the other part of the steering column cover.

New wheel in progress:

IMG_0738-1.jpg

Finished:

IMG_0741.jpg

Some info I did not see anywhere else:

Torx size for the airbag screws - T30
Socket size for the steering wheel nut - 19mm
Threaded holes in both wheels for mounting a puller (if you're using one) - M8x1.25.
The cruise control switch does not need to be disconnected - remove the two screws that attach its bracket to the wheel, and it will fish out of there and also out through the top opening of the wheel/cowl. Reverse on install.

The first time you do it will take an hour or so. The second time, because you put the wheel on off-center, will take about 10 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom