97 Collector Edition TRD Supercharger Factory Triple Locked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One thing to consider when reading this is that people say they wouldn't buy that vehicle for a certain price etc but if the same people owned it, I would doubt they would sell it for the price they suggest it be sold for. Everyone wants to save money or make money :) but if the vehicle is rare like this one is, the chances that you will find another one like it is low and you will be paying more for it when the time comes around that you happen to find it.

If you are looking for a vehicle to modify/use/abuse than this isn't the one to get. If you are looking to use it in its current form, for what it is capable in its current form, and plan to treat it well, than I would say go for it as long as there isn't any rust.

He could get at least 25k for that. Show me another one as nice for under 10k or 15k. As long as its not rusty underneath, the miles are considered low now. I wouldnt take less than 20k for mine. But I know my truck, its a rust free SoCal desert truck. Clean paint and body and I've done tons of repairs and maintenance. There's no way I could replace what I have for under 20k. I think Slee is a little low on the market value on the 80s especially 95 to 97 models. I think a lot of you guys that are able to buy clean rust free triple locked no issue trucks for 5 to 10k should be buying. Certainly cant do that out here in the west.

This entire conversation is moot without detailed interior and undercarriage photos.

Does CE really mean anything to anybody? I sure as hell wouldn't care if I were buying.

Here is a 140k East Coast super charged comp that just went through the block at BaT at $22k - No Reserve: Supercharged 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 but it isn't a CE or 3x Locked
Here is a very clean 176k West Coast 3x locked cruiser that went for just shy of $26k No Reserve: 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80
As long as it isn't a rust bucket, is clean, has service records, anything less than 20k is a steal for a non-super charged CE 3x Locked.

Of course there will always be 300k mile rigs with every fault code in need of $7k of work that you can find for dirt cheap. But that isn't your comp.

When gas prices soar high again, and the economy hits a low, and they will, cruisers will be back down from gouging to reality pricing...wait it out if you can...those who paid 25 to 35K plus will have an expensive turd wrapped in bacon...

These threads crack me up.

"Check out this deal. Rusted through and needs a transmission for only $800. Totally comparable to what you're asking."

All the way to

"Here's a good comp. 1324 original miles with zero rust, triple locked, and sold for $78,500."

There's such a swing on these trucks, I don't know how you could hone in a price. I've got a similar mileage, rust free '97 CE 3x Locked with $20k+ in maintenance and cool parts. What's it worth to someone? Some would say $15k, not a penny more. Others say it would bring $40k on BaT.

What's it worth to you?

A lot of Land Cruiser enthusiasts claim the FZJ80 is the finest hour of the Land Cruiser. If thats true, why do a lot of owners think they arent worth what a comparable FJ60 is? To me, theres no comparison. And I've owned a nice FJ62. The 80 series is a huge step up from prior trucks. Maybe some owners dont want to see values climb. I never thought the FJ40 and 60 would increase like they have but its nostalgia driving up prices. The same thing is happening now with the 80. BaT auctions are outliers but they do show that demand is there and people are willing to pay up for quality.

Sold for $38,250 today

A lot of Land Cruiser enthusiasts claim the FZJ80 is the finest hour of the Land Cruiser. If thats true, why do a lot of owners think they arent worth what a comparable FJ60 is? To me, theres no comparison. And I've owned a nice FJ62. The 80 series is a huge step up from prior trucks. Maybe some owners dont want to see values climb. I never thought the FJ40 and 60 would increase like they have but its nostalgia driving up prices. The same thing is happening now with the 80. BaT auctions are outliers but they do show that demand is there and people are willing to pay up for quality.

No question, I have no problem with the prices going up and staying up. I've already got mine! :rofl:

Sold for $38,250 today

Yowza! Seeing those makes me wonder what mine would go for...

...nah, let's go camping!

I hope the OP paid the $18k and started to enjoy His new 80!

He could get at least 25k for that. Show me another one as nice for under 10k or 15k. As long as its not rusty underneath, the miles are considered low now. I wouldnt take less than 20k for mine. But I know my truck, its a rust free SoCal desert truck. Clean paint and body and I've done tons of repairs and maintenance. There's no way I could replace what I have for under 20k. I think Slee is a little low on the market value on the 80s especially 95 to 97 models. I think a lot of you guys that are able to buy clean rust free triple locked no issue trucks for 5 to 10k should be buying. Certainly cant do that out here in the west.

Agree. They been drying up in Western States.

I see them from time to time under $10k but hardly ever under $5k and if I do, they need a lot of work.

Looked at one recently for a customer, prepurchase inspection. $6k, 94, x3 locked, bad paint, 365k miles, needed thousand and thousands in repairs.

Mine is a 95, x3 locked, cloth, zero rust, very nice 6m1 body, brand new (not rebuilt) engine, some upgrades like BP51’s. I wouldn’t sell it for $40k. Maybe it’s not worth that but it is worth that to me. Not only is it rare and ready to go for 25 more years, my time to build it is worth a lot to me.

We just finished an engine rebuild on a customers 97 CE. It’s black, factory RR delete, x3 locked, zero rust, good interior besides front seats which he put nice canvas covers on. I easily value his truck at $25k with the new engine and it is stock, unlifted with no upgrades.

Cheers

Last edited:
Agree. They been drying up in Western States.

I see them from time to time under $10k but hardly ever under $5k and if I do, they need a lot of work.

Looked at one recently for a customer,

prepurchase inspection. $6k, 94, x3 locked, bad paint, 365k miles, needed thousand and thousands in repairs.

Mine is a 95, x3 locked, cloth, zero rust, very nice 6m1 body, brand new (not rebuilt) engine, some upgrades like BP51’s. I wouldn’t sell it for $40k. Maybe it’s not worth that but it is worth that to me. Not only is it rare and ready to go for 25 more years, my time to build it is worth a lot to me.

We just finished an engine rebuild on a customers 97 CE. It’s black, factory RR delete, x3 locked, zero rust, good interior besides front seats which he put nice canvas covers on. I easily value his truck at $25k with the new engine and it is stock, unlifted with no upgrades.

Cheers

Nice I’m putting a rebuilt in mine as well.

Buying it for 18K isn't too bad. If I hadn't picked up 3 in the last 3 weeks, I'd be up for it. As @slow95z stated, have cash ready, trailer on standby (or a good truck and a uhaul at the destination), have tools. (the spare idea he has is 100% spot on, hadn't considered that but it's often needed). If you take some time, you will see that a LOT of small towns have a Thrifty Nickel, or something similar where the oldtimers post their vehicles for sale. There are 25+ of them in nearly every state. Hit up those local publications and find their online classifieds. Pay the $5 a year if they charge it and BAM you're buying cruisers. There are still plenty to go around. Even the small town newspapers. Pay their fee, it's an investment. The 3 that I picked up recently are all low mileage, and in great condition. ALL were from local publications. There were 30+ that I passed on that were still great 150K+ cruisers. They exist folks, their not hard to find. That's my tactic, go get yours. This message may spontaneously combust at a later point :)

I was in the mountains for the long holiday with no internet. Thanks for the replies. Haha this thread ended up about where they seem to usually go on this topic. So he wants $32k which is too rich for me, but we all know someone would pay that for this cruiser. It's all about what it's worth to one particular person. I would pay the Slee price but I can't begrudge anyone getting $10k+ more for their cruiser they've had since rolling off the lot, much less family!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom