8x Series V8 Swaps (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone towing and using the stock radiator? We have a small travel trailer that weights 3500 pounds but is a big parachute behind the cruiser wondering if the stock radiator will keep it cool? If you are towing what Radiator and fan setup do you have? Thanks

I don't tow, but in my own research it seems there's more talk about needing a transmission cooler. One video in particular focused on how towing atf temps kill many a 4l60.

Anyone towing and using the stock radiator? We have a small travel trailer that weights 3500 pounds but is a big parachute behind the cruiser wondering if the stock radiator will keep it cool? If you are towing what Radiator and fan setup do you have? Thanks
Most likely it will be borderline overheating with a stock radiator. I have a 4 core aluminum radiator and it still tough to keep temps down with towing on hills in the summer. I actually am planning one or two auxiliary radiators for towing. But my motor is somewhat higher performance. A stock 5.3 or 6.0 might not produce as much heat. You'll also need more heat barriers around vital parts and systems if your towing. The exhaust gets much hotter.

Was snooping around the internet and got curious. I think this may possibly be a fairly straight forward swap...
img_2694.jpg

I think a nv4500 would bolt on. Also the dodge truck v10 is very inexpensive.

I imagine the length is probably not all that different from a 1fz.

Cooling issues.......................

I have been using Ron Davis radiators for years. NOT ONE complaint about over heating. Not one. This is a case of "You get what you pay for".

I can choose any radiator I wish. I choose one that just keeps working and gets me zero call backs.

I've been reading about over heating issues with swaps for years. They do not overheat in the GM vehicles they come standard in.

Sometimes, you just need to pay the piper.

Ever notice how the cheapo swaps always end up with the owner under the hood every other weekend trying to figure out an issue? It just makes no sense to me to go cheap on something as important as your cooling system components, or any other for that matter. I guess it's different if you have plenty of time to work on the rig all the time rather than drive it.

Cooling issues.......................

I have been using Ron Davis radiators for years. NOT ONE complaint about over heating. Not one. This is a case of "You get what you pay for".

I can choose any radiator I wish. I choose one that just keeps working and gets me zero call backs.

I've been reading about over heating issues with swaps for years. They do not overheat in the GM vehicles they come standard in.

Sometimes, you just need to pay the piper.

Ever notice how the cheapo swaps always end up with the owner under the hood every other weekend trying to figure out an issue? It just makes no sense to me to go cheap on something as important as your cooling system components, or any other for that matter. I guess it's different if you have plenty of time to work on the rig all the time rather than drive it.
I have one for the ls fzj80 swap that's in my shop. It's pretty and well built no way would I use the stock one unless the owner got to make that decision witch he didn't. But now I have another that the owner got a cheap ebay bolt in radiator don't know how it works because the swap was never finished and the engine is in not level

20220827_002317.jpg

I imagine the length is probably not all that different from a 1fz.
Since it's a pushrod motor it's probably like installing a extra long LS motor. The extra 2 pistons give a lot more displacement. The magnum v10 in the trucks is 8 liter. 450lbft tq at 2800rpm. Anyway I just thought it was something interesting to point out.

Since it's a pushrod motor it's probably like installing a extra long LS motor. The extra 2 pistons give a lot more displacement. The magnum v10 in the trucks is 8 liter. 450lbft tq at 2800rpm. Anyway I just thought it was something interesting to point out.
I'm not saying its not interesting just a big bitch and don't even think about putting a manual transmission in it.

I'm not saying its not interesting just a big bitch and don't even think about putting a manual transmission in it.
I’ve driven several dodge v-10/nv4500’s. Do you mean no manual specifically on the viper engine or…? Just curious.

Well the thing about using a nv4500 is you can easily adapt it to the cruiser tcase. I guess it might be beneficial to notch the firewall some if needed to set the motor a little further back to have more room up front. I'm seeing dodge truck v10 motors for 1000 dollars. And you can swap on viper cylinder heads as an option from what im reading. I have no idea where you find viper heads though.

Add all that v10 and a manual you better have some skills and time oh I forgot about patience
I guess I’m still not getting what you’re saying? Like, is the driving a handful in an 80, or the fitting it all in? Still just curious. 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom