88 FJ62 Painting Grill and Trim Black (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, on to the next to-do... my '88 62 has some peeling chrome and paint on the grill and misc trim, etc. Pretty common, several ways to deal with it.

I've read through the forums and decided that because I'll eventually be revamping the interior, adding custom front back bumpers, etc... that I can say goodbye to any idea of this rig remaining 'stock'. Might as well dive in and make things permanent and long-lasting.

I had an idea that I would simply spray the grill and trim with Plastidip so as to be able to reverse it at any time and keep the truck stock, in a way.

I think at this point I am going to make permanent changes except for the chrome wheels, those I will simply Plastidip black just to keep things simple, cheap, and I really see no need to spend $ on my wheels. And one day I may want them chrome again!

Saw one guy on a forum have success stripping the chrome off and getting it right down to the bare bone plastic. I called few strippers around here and they were reluctant to attempt it for fear of wrecking the plastic. So I guess some sanding and prepping will have to do, then primer and paint, probably semi gloss Tremclad black or similar.

Really just pulled the grill today - washed everything and even managed to get the dirt and mushrooms out of the light lens cavities. So that's good.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yeah I've read about diy'ing with muriatic. I'm not sure I want to deal with having that around (kids/pets) as I have really no way of storing it properly.

I wanted to pay a shop to take care of that! But no one was willing to do it with a guarantee it wouldn't nuke the plastic.

Aftermarket chromed grills are available for pretty cheap. At least you can get a replacement if you mess up yours.

Mariatic acid can be purchased by the gallon at any pool supply store.

It can be safely stored in its plastic bottle for years. Millions of pool owners have the stuff sitting around somewhere.

it can be diluted with water for disposal.

just scuff and paint...no need to strip it down. I used SEM paint...highly recommend it, provides professional results. heard the aftermarket grills don't really hold up that well/long.

I'm going to be repainting mine. I poured a gallon of muriatic acid into a rubermaid container the size of the grill and covered it with the lid. I turned the grill and had to angle the container to have the acid cover everything. It was maybe a week or two of moving it around before it all had come off. Washed the grill off with a hose and have it sitting waiting for paint. Strained the acid thru some window screen I had laying around to get the chrom out and it went back in the bottle for the next project.

Spent a few hours sanding with paper, a soft sanding block and metal wool to get into hard spots. Called it good enough and proceeded to Tremclad primer them. Looks really good already. Will wait until tomo and sand out any problem areas. Tremclad flat black is next.

image.jpg

image.jpg

7MXzYVq.png

I did mine last spring with plasti dip and it still looks good. Just cleaned it with Goo Gone, taped it, then sprayed several layers. As you can see, I did the headlight buckets and some of the trim vents too

Yeah, I think I'm going to pop 'n Plastidip all the little pieces, and the wheels after I get some new tires mounted. First thing's first!

Looks great.

Hey thanks. While not perfect, I think it turned out as good as expected, maybe even a little better than expected tbh.

I'll post some final pics of the beast with her new face on at some point. Can't wait to see it all together.

Still soggy out but had to see it slapped on asap. Not Bad! Will look better one day with matching black bumpers.

HXKSjqN.jpg

I am partial to the blackout....Looks clean.

Have ya tried easy off oven cleaner? I’ve used it before on other chromed objects and works like a charm.

Loooks great

where can one get aftermarket grille/headlight bezel and mirrors for a 62 to try to paint them ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom