87 SR5 22re (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey everyone -

I figured out my idle issue. It was the idle bolt was extremely dirty - I cleaned the hell out of it and put some Teflon tape and it "seemed" to steady the idle and eliminate any sticking -

Hope this helps

Want to talk exhaust - I've seen a few websites but LCE performance interested me the most.

LCE Performance - 1041024

I like the look and quality seen serval reviews that seem promising - I like to run a new exhaust from header to pipe -

Currently my pipe is a bit rusty and I have a leak in my head gasket - it wouldn't require replacement or this extremely investment but my truck is close to 100% -

Thoughts?

Hey everyone -

I figured out my idle issue. It was the idle bolt was extremely dirty - I cleaned the hell out of it and put some Teflon tape and it "seemed" to steady the idle and eliminate any sticking -

Hope this helps
That idle bolt should have had an o-ring on it.

Want to talk exhaust - Thoughts?

No opinion on the LCE. So I will tell you what I've done, and give you my unconventional opinion.

Doug Thorley tri-y header. 2.25" to cat. 2.25" to muffler. 2" tailpipe out of the muffler.

If I wasn't fixing an existing system I would run 2" out the cat to the tailpipe, and that is only because the collector on the header is 2.5". When I first installed the exhaust on my truck I bought into 2.25" mantra. Now, personally, I think 2.25" exhaust systems on a street driven, or off-roaded, 22re is silly. Google the subject. You will get a myriad of theories, calculations, and opinions. So, I'm going to give you one webpage with a calculator that says 2" pipe can handle 164hp: Exhaust Size Calculator. I defy you to make that kind of power out of a streetable 22re.

Now Google the concept of engine scavenging. The bottom line, when it comes to exhaust, bigger is not always better. Especially with a truck that runs low rpm on the rocks. I have noticed very little difference on my truck, and the difference has been for the better. I think the truck idles better, and it's much easier to drive on the rocks. It's minor, so it could be placebo.

Thanks for the great information Pappy!! Still looking over options on the exhaust. Keep you updated when i finally pull the trigger on a new exhaust

Thinking Wheels & Tires (WITHOUT a lift). Looking for the best option and here is my thoughts

- Gavel roads
- 6k mile road trip - Looking to drive to Alaska and tour around
- Want something that will hold up and wheels that won't chip on gavel roads

Looking for a great all around tire and some clean tough wheels to go with it

What's everyone think? stay with 15's? KO2 tires? or a standard KO?

Love my KO2s.

16s will give you a better tire selection. Only a handful of manufacturers even make 15s anymore and even more limited with size options for the narrow OEM wheels.

I have the KO2s in 33/10.5R15s on the factory alloys on mine now and have no complaints. I am lifted a bit;)

906F5D52-3648-4F7B-853B-ED909ADFC8F7.jpeg

Last edited:
I was very happy with my Duratracs, and I moved up to 16's, actually some 2000-era 4Runner rims that I got cheap.

If you decide to go to 16's does it cause any issue with steering or otherwise? I am stock height and would like to stay at stock. (just overhauled the whole suspension system).

As long as your backspacing is close to the same, it doesn't matter.

Looking to source some vacuum lines and change everything over to silicon. I found a website with fairly high reviews and where one can buy bulk - "Flex Technologies"

I wanted to confirm that I am ordering the right sizes
- 3mm
- 8mm
-10mm

Missing an sizes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom