84 fj60 stuck in 4wd?? Lost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.hertzlayton.com
Just bought a 84 fj60 yesterday. But it's stuck in 4wd. It will shift between 4low and 4 hi but and the 4wd light is on. When I try and put it in 2 hi the light goes off but stays in 4wd?? I have never owned a 60 before so I'm a little lost. Any ideas guys?

same as the 40 series ...
start simple and move up.
if you shift to 2WD and unlock the hubs does the front driveshaft rotate freely or is it still locked?
does it shift REAL easy into 2WD location?
does the front output shift spigot move in and out?

I drove it around the block backed up a few times. Still stuck. When I try go shift it up into 2hi it really does not feel like it goes far enough to me. But the light on the dash goes off and I can push as hard as I can no difference. ??

Have someone move the lever from 2-4WD (back and forth) while you check whether the front drive shaft will turn. It should not turn in 4WD, and should freely turn in 2WD. Do this with unlocked hubs.

This will tell you if the lever is actually doing something (moving the shift fork) in the xfer case. Check all the linkages for lube and tight bolts - maybe something is loose and sloppy under there.

if the light goes out then the shifter is moving the engaging fork and coupler far enough ...
do the test and report back

I don't have any helpers right now. But I was able to play with the linkage that comes out the front of the tc pulled it out and then the front driveshaft will spin freely. But it's still in 4wd in the case. I can drive it a max of 35 mph at 3500 rpm.
This was done with the hubs not engaged and the front drive shaft not spinning. The linkage on the top side of the case seems to just easily move back and forth when I played with it from below. Any ideas from that? Also is this hose/line from the tc to the trans a stock item?

image-2265585549.jpg

ummm you are locked in 4L if you are maxed at 35 mph
check the piviot at the top of the t/case (upper rear)
the "dog" might have dropped down, stupid design. the engagement should have been at the top of the shaft instead of the bottom.
see if you can "lift" the shifter end ... you might be able to feel it engage if in fact it has dropped down this way.

If you can push or pull the 4wd shift shaft such that the front drive shaft spins, then you are not in 4wd when the front drive shaft is spinning. You might be stuck in "lo". The transfer case has two different shift forks, one for Hi-N-Lo and one for 2wd-4wd. If your problem is related to always being in the low transfer case gear, then it is likely that the hi-n-lo shifting mechanism is not working. You can check the linkage, but there is an "inner lever" that needs to engage the shift rod. If this lever has slipped down into the transfer case, Hi-N-Lo shifting will not work. The inner lever is held in place by a clamp bolt on the outer lever. The inner lever needs to be pulled up tight against the shift fork shaft AND engage in the notch in the shaft.

If you do try to adjust this, be very careful not to let the inner lever fall inside the transfer case--or you will be tearing your case apart to get to it. Although if that happens, you can fix the leak you apparently have between the transmission and transfer!

transfer case a.JPG

transfer shift fork.jpg

if you wedge a flat head screw driver against the "high low inner lever", this will prevent it from falling inside IF you need to remove the linkage.
what i have done in the past is pry up on the linkage above the HLIL, and work the linkage side to side to see if it actually has dropped down.
if it has then take a large flat washer and cut it into a U shape, slide it under the "High Low outer linkage". this will force the HLIL to stay engaged.
this saves having to take the case apart or risk dropping the HLIL inside the case.

but do the test first to determine IF the HLIL actually engages or not.

if it has then take a large flat washer and cut it into a U shape, slide it under the "High Low outer linkage".

This is a good solution.

I was able to find c-clips (Standard size) at a local hardware store that snapped and stayed on around the shaft (see picture 2 above - 'High and Low Inner Lever'). Snapped 3 on and haven't had a problem.

I wouldn't risk taking the bracket (see picture 2 above - 'High and Low Outer Lever') off the shaft (see picture 2 above - 'High and Low Inner Lever') in order to try and slide the bracket ('High and Low Outer Lever') down further over the shaft ('High and Low Inner Lever'). If you drop that thing ('High and Low Inner Lever') in the transfercase, it would suck to have to rip the transfercase open.
Although someone did post here using a high powered magnet might pull it ('High and Low Inner Lever') back out, since it ('High and Low Inner Lever') is magnetic and the case is aluminum...

Man you guys over here on the 60 side are awesome! Thanks for all your help!!
I will go check out the HLIL and see whats up

Thanks again!!!

Fixed it!!
You guys where right!! It was the HLIL had dropped down and was not engaging. I had to have my son wiggle the shifter back and forth while prying up on the HLIL from below and it finally poped up. I used a hitch pin the correct size and pushed it on the shaft under the arm to hold it up. Goes in to 4hi now!

This website and the people on it are awesome!

Thanks again guys

Ben

Good stuff Ben, yep I'm still amased at the wealth of knowledge here, they've certainly helped me out on a few occasions

<i normally don't visit the 60 section, i was surfing when i saw your issue and said "BTDT". i thought i might be able to help. you had lots of good help already.>
now, the HLIL has a notch in it that the HLOL bolt sits in. you can't "slide" it down. i am not sure why this occures but it seems as the mileage mounts up this happens. when i rebuild the t/cases, i just automatically add a washer under the HLOL during reassembly.

glad you got it sorted.
congrats.

MUD ROCKS

I am stuck in 4hi would the troubleshooting process be the same?

Green light on the dash stays on and the front driveshaft can’t be turned by hand.

Transfer case is in 2wd but the dash button doesn’t do anything.

Thanks

It is a 70 but it has a similar setup. I disconnected the vacuum lines and the 4hi disengaged. I just need to figure out what is broken. Luckily I have a 60 and 70 of the same year so I can swap parts from time to time.

Thanks

I have the same problem on my fj 62..... checked all your solutions short of pulling the bash plate off and trying to get to the to case. It looks to be all internal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom