Builds 82 first Gen Project (RECON) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I took out the stock exhaust manifold and down pipes.
Welded up about 3 feet to connect the exhaust back up to the new shorty headers.
Also installed the needed 02 sensor for the new efi
806145F1-1750-407B-AB6E-7F6E37AD1680.jpeg
290AC4DC-1622-4AB1-B921-D9EEAB85E568.jpeg
FEB80846-C38E-4AB0-9A64-76EA2ED731A1.jpeg

Interior is finally back together for the first time in like 5 years.
I made the center dash piece out of plastic.

I put the new off-road lights on one of the four swiches in the new center console. I plan to add night lights and some driving lights but won’t worry about that for now.
146DE58D-297D-41FB-880E-A999FC06493B.jpeg
160A3D31-C28F-45F6-9799-95800B56ADE6.jpeg

D26F22A8-420A-48FA-B670-8240CDEDB5DA.jpeg

I didn’t want to remove the pcv valve and I didn’t want to just put a breather in place of it so this was my solution. Not sure it is the right answer but I rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I just to go pick up a 90 degree elbow to better run the hose from the pcv valve to the catch can.
7246C5A5-78FF-45E1-9DF0-23FB25BFE8F3.jpeg

Finishing touches on the interior. I have a spare cab in the back for when my other mini crawler gets too busted up. I went and looked and sure enough it had black and gray interior so I stoled the black door trim and black seat belts. As well as a black gauge cluster which I will use in the future with some better gauges to keep better tabs on the engine.

Pulled the truck out of the garage and have been driving the truck around near my house to let the sniper Efi learn. Had to do some adjustments and had to chase down an oil leak from the fuel pump block off plate and coolant leak from the water plate under the intake manifold which is still not quite fixed but I’m hoping my repair tonight fixed it and I can drive it to the Carolina relic run in the morning.
26B36C1E-FCA4-496E-B455-C9FA86A59AEE.jpeg
5BAE72F8-B218-4E4F-AFAC-E0D708117CCD.jpeg
CE618106-F84F-4AB8-8233-B61EDF0D726A.jpeg
88BDA8D1-960C-4D62-8689-AB4DDFFE2CE3.jpeg

Finishing touches on the interior. I have a spare cab in the back for when my other mini crawler gets too busted up. I went and looked and sure enough it had black and gray interior so I stoled the black door trim and black seat belts. As well as a black gauge cluster which I will use in the future with some better gauges to keep better tabs on the engine.

Pulled the truck out of the garage and have been driving the truck around near my house to let the sniper Efi learn. Had to do some adjustments and had to chase down an oil leak from the fuel pump block off plate and coolant leak from the water plate under the intake manifold which is still not quite fixed but I’m hoping my repair tonight fixed it and I can drive it to the Carolina relic run in the morning.
View attachment 2974125View attachment 2974126View attachment 2974127View attachment 2974128
The truck looks so badass. Awesome workmanship in this thread.

Incredible work!

Got a link to that hardware kit? All JIS stuff?

@davework sells kits in all flavors

I've had his kit around and need to order another. All JIS, awesome kits.

@davework sells kits in all flavors

I've had his kit around and need to order another. All JIS, awesome kits.
I’m pretty sure they were not in business when I ordered the kits for my truck from Australia. I do know they make a good product because I have ordered from them for my 40series landcruiser.

Although the plan is to sell the truck eventually, I don’t think I’m going to stop messing with it.
I think up next I am going to try to lower the truck by adding custom four link suspension front and back. When I do that I will move the front axle forward 1-2 inches and make the ride height about 2-3 inches lower.
I’m hoping that by doing this I can lower the height of the lift, keep the 35” tires and improve the ride with coil overs instead of the stiffness of leaf springs.

It does look pretty dang tall currently

Unless you want to cut fenders and the corner of the cab. The only way to keep big tires out of them is to go with 5-6 inch lift.
My other mini truck is at stock height on 40s but the front fenders and the bed are cut out.
I didn’t want to cut this truck up so I lifted it. First thing I am going to try is a 3/4 inch shorter pitman arm and removal of the first leaf all around and push the front axle 1 inch forward. Depending on the success level of that will determine my next move. I really want to four link it and I ultimately will just as I mentioned above but I really want to enjoy the truck also.

That sounds like a lot of work for a truck you plan to sell. Getting the rear low on leaves is pretty easy. And in the front, as long as your steering box is pushed forward you should be able to lower it by a couple inches.

That sounds like a lot of work for a truck you plan to sell. Getting the rear low on leaves is pretty easy. And in the front, as long as your steering box is pushed forward you should be able to lower it by a couple inches.
Nah.
I already had another lift on the truck when it had 33s. When I bumped up to 35s I had no choice but to lift the truck to where is now.
At the time I didn’t have time to mess with the suspension, meaning get it just high enough to clear the body and or move the axle forward.

I’m ok wiring messing with it ( adding more work) even if the plan is to sell it. I want to enjoy the truck before I sell it. Messing with it is part of the fun for me I guess.

I want to drop the truck one or two inches. I don’t quite like how tall the truck seats.
I have thought of moving the axle forward but not sure what the best way to accomplish that is. I can’t move the axle forward due to the steering linkage to the pit man arm and steering box.

By moving the axle forward I am hoping a simple 4 inch lift will allow me to run the same 35s without any rubbing issues.
4 inch lifts advertise you can only run 33s on the lift but I have seen others run 35s and their trucks are nowhere near as tall as mine. So maybe they are running 5the 4 inch lift without rubbing or cutting.

Currently I have the trail gear 5 inch lift springs under the truck and might try pulling leafs off the pack to try to lower it an inch or two. I bought these leaf springs not knowing they were this tall. I just knew they were taller than the old man emu lift and needed the truck to be higher after I bought the 35s.

I’m just afraid the springs won’t be ass stiff and cause too much body roll while driving.

This is how the truck looks now. You can see it is very tall. At least to me it is.
1656302964489.jpeg

This is the old man emu 2/2.5 inch lift with 33 tires
97D94189-D86A-4979-A3A3-431C9625D2A8.jpeg

Old man emu lift 2/2.5 inch lift on 35s. The tires rubbed real bad and had to hack off the fenders and bend the corners of the body. In the photo you can kind of see that the lift needs to be slightly taller for the 35s.
AEC0D9F6-90F4-4B7D-9FEF-033012FABDB0.jpeg

Anybody running 4 inch lift suspension lift with 35s and confirm if they fit without rubbing?

Did you replace the front spring hangers? Did that increase the lift?

The current lift uses longer shackles in the rear springs. I could potentially replace those or modify them to be shorter.
The front springs have a shackle that is as short as it can be.

You need to run some springs that push the front axle forward. Rear springs or the fancy Sky Off-road springs would do it. That’s the only way you are going to keep a 35 out of the body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom