80s with 35's - 37's suspension question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally got what I thought was all the parts needed for my 3.5:F - 3"R Dobinson's install and 37s, but now having an issue that I need some direction on.

The steering arm (I think that's the proper name) is hitting the radius arms on both sides. Can anyone offer a solution? It's severely restricting any down travel and is even making contact on driveway transitions.

Pass side
20180922_150713.jpg

Drivers side
20180922_150723.jpg

At this mild angle ...
20180922_155833.jpg

I'm seeing it contact the radius arm fully
20180922_155816.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Changing castor plates to landtank/wits end style or grinding the arm are probably your best bets. Several have ground the arms but id not want to go through that top rib if it were mine.

What did Dobinson or the retailer say? If this is a kit they should be aware or have a solution.

Waiting on Dobi retailer response. I got home late Friday and didn't send emails until yesterday afternoon, so likely a Monday response.

Castor plates that are on it came with the Dobi kit.

If you look down a few posts, I'm experiencing the same issue. Sounds like aftermarket arms are the solution. Wish I would've known that prior to buying this lift. Might have explored the slinky route.

Yeah, wish I would have known the same. Live and learn, I'm used to that, just super disappointed that I did all this and still can't get out on trails.

You could see if you can find man a fre drop arm brackets if they are still around, or try different castor plate. Maybe the Dobinson give way to much? I had Slee plates at one point and had maybe 2 inches of clearance with hd tie rod. That put me at 2.1 degrees of castor. I now have Slee front arms and have more castor but no issues. Truck drove great with Slee caster plates drives better with the arms

I'm open to all solutions at this point, just want the truck to flex like expected. Way too deep into it with the 37s to not spend a bit more to make it right.

I know when I bought the White Knuckle sliders they asked specific if I was using drop brackets or not. At that point I wasn't so not sure if something on the slider prohibits adding these now.

I'm open to all solutions at this point, just want the truck to flex like expected. Way too deep into it with the 37s to not spend a bit more to make it right.

I know when I bought the White Knuckle sliders they asked specific if I was using drop brackets or not. At that point I wasn't so not sure if something on the slider prohibits adding these now.
White Knuckle sliders (and most other sliders) have a U-bolt that crosses the frame where the drop brackets would be. I've considered cutting or drilling a drop bracket to let the U-bolt go through it, but different caster plates seem like a more sensible option.

look on ebay for superior engineering superflex arms problem solved.

Since no one has thrown out a hi steer conversation, I’ll toss that out there. :worms:

Welcome to the world of 3+” lifts. Get ready to follow the rabbit hole.
:popcorn:

I made it to 3" of lift, then I looked over the edge & saw that it was a very deep cavernous money pit, so I installed a 1" body lift to get to the magic 4" lift sweet spot.

Custom front control arm mounts. My caster is 3.0. Factory states 2.0 to 4.0.
wgeHP4GQqkFb2qcKRocs4qC-cCT5X_Y0Z06TmfteemX63qIWKvu9MrGDmmIDIDC_JVHBeOlzSy6Q-g01_XbWs-KaFPzDJW14QSdewpfYaUbTBNuVGvZxPw1HYyczpmlSUGUDGauNQTPVzdysoCeKjpOHpLPQmx89F8JDanVcy8BB6NtNvwz4llOZIzoTf5gaEiXcwS9-kfUVFuAgM_0ohLYzowWoKwVvir7Bxgezu-eW5PcfHweBkpPDJwUF0TPbEnKwb_SEXDDrkiuo_nfCDDRe9-oCMa8GTR5xSzBY8rzUkW-JzeIcL0t2MU2ggvCnJl26iHlxSbQw3-aIE3DRPiTvXb_U1w45EEHaJfmpMOJslwI-Cy6cSWLaFbRvmomxJ9F6A4pB-fij8KkWiU2vI6if-xsEQoao5R7d5SCqm6I5QWUKXdJXz6XWckrlUqPjWjK9q7rLy6jxBPK3j41kMXKTB_Bw8lyac0q3q0JTanrxgZ10GXwR0flR2PbEwEp5UPrXCh9t00HATd5Y81QkzqZjrfyh4dP6lAT8FEWi56ck66k_WHtJcjvLUBQsnTPH8QJwzTemVn7ofJORQrxQyk6GqTJPEs4Sdi04jmaA1pDxe59jCFe7ZRoWvFrsI24=w1410-h1057-no

Last edited:
I finally got what I thought was all the parts needed for my 3.5:F - 3"R Dobinson's install and 37s, but now having an issue that I need some direction on.

The steering arm (I think that's the proper name) is hitting the radius arms on both sides. Can anyone offer a solution? It's severely restricting any down travel and is even making contact on driveway transitions.

Pass side
View attachment 1795588

Drivers side
View attachment 1795589

At this mild angle ...
View attachment 1795590

I'm seeing it contact the radius arm fully
View attachment 1795594

Any help is appreciated.
I run the same front spring with a 1” spacer on top wih Dobinsons long shocks and Slee castor plates. With a good bit of grinding on the top of the control arms my tie rod only touches the arm lightly when flexed as far as she will go. But, my castor angle is supposedly less than 1*. I’ve had it checked by only one shop. The Dobinson plates obviously dial in more castor angle.

She’s a lifted truck not a vette so I drive her accordingly. Secretly, I want high steer and hydro assist when I grow up one day so I’m not letting my small castor numbers bother me too much.

What tire size is that? 16in rims?

17" rims with 47x12.5" tires

This is only a 3" lift with a 1" body lift, Does the body lift even factor into the equation? I really was trying to keep this simple. It sounds like it might fall apart when I hit a transition in the pavement at speed. Not sure if that is normal or not.

@baldilocks - can you post a pic of your arm modification and clearance please? Also, what castor plates are you using? Suspension is like a foreign language to me, so I can't really speak intelligently about castor angles and what they do or mean. The truck does have steering wobble around 35 to 45 mph, but tracks straight and is smooth either above or below those speeds.

@chap79 - Hellfire knuckles would seem to solve this problem. I need to do some research before spending that coin, but it does seem like a solid investment if things continue to escalate. Really wanted to get seat time on trails and tx case gears first.

@GW Nugget - pics 1 and 2 are flat ground. Pic 4 is the contact at the slight incline in pic 3. Here are a couple more angles. After it makes contact can I push it more or will the rod just snap? I got this setup hoping to have the suspension really flex, so it bottoming out so soon is a real buzz kill.
20180922_155854.jpg

20180922_155905.jpg

@RFB - that option is not off the table, but wanted to see if I can work with what I have yet.

Reactions: RFB
I've got 3" Slinkys with the Landtank castor plates... no interference at all. Maybe give LT plates a try? You can see my clearance here:

obu4g1Bh.jpg

Last edited:
I'm at 4 inches and have the same issue myself. My plan is RHD steering arm and one ton TRE's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom