80 SERIES UPGRADE POLL - MANUMATIC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How about lunch at Anthony's in Anacortes?

Jeez, just realized how close some of you all are to me - I’m 1/2hr away over in Mount Vernon, but with the boat I launch out of Cap Sante & Washington park plenty.

My positive answer depends on a few variables. Price would be on top of my list. Almost $4000 plus labor is an astronomical figure for such a little gain. If one regears the diffs, it would be way below that price point. Regearing the transferase would be below that price point.

A750E/F does not bolt up to 1FZ. An adapter plate is needed.
Compushift or other controllers are very expensive.
To rebuild the transmission is very expensive and needed.
A7xx are electronic not hydraulic. A good setup with the controller is beyond necessary.
What floor shifter would you use?
Adapter harness?

The 5th gear on this transmission is a little too tall (low numerically) especially when most of us here are running larger diameter tires. This would under-rev the ending as in lugging and it is not desirable. Possible gear hunting.

In order to keep the engine happy on the freeway one would need to regear the diffs (more money).
You are looking at 0.716:1 ratio in 5th gear vs 0.753:1 as engineered by Mr.T
The larger tires would bring the engine to an unhappy power band and people often complain about that.

No, there would not be any benefit in MPG if the RPM is lower at a given speed, because the engine is now outside of the engineered parameters.
The lockup could also be affected and happen at a higher speed, which again would not be desirable.

I have a better solution for this conversion problem, but I got nobody to work with. Not enough brave and smart mechanics to work with my crazy (stupid) idea.

So, ballpark price for the conversion... $2000?
I'll bite.

I would love the 0.716:1 then I could really haul donkeys, but the rest of it would suck for me

Last edited:
Jeez, just realized how close some of you all are to me - I’m 1/2hr away over in Mount Vernon, but with the boat I launch out of Cap Sante & Washington park plenty.
The WI address is my home, nothing to see there.....

@wardharris Next time you talk to your transmission guy, ask him if his new valve body and controller can add 6th gear to the A750?

For the Allison 1000 used behind the Duramax, all it took to convert the older “5 speed” to the newer “6 speed” was a valvebody and controller swap. ALLISON LLY 6 SP CONVERSION

At the beginning of the thread, you said the conversion kit would include a valve body and controller. What I am hoping is that I can source an A750 out of 100 series that I know will bolt up to my transfer case and it can function like A760 found in current models.

The A760 has almost identical ratio spreads and steps as GMs 6L80. (Not ratios, 6L80 has 1.15:1 instead of 1:1, multiply A760 ratios by 1.15 to compare. This means A760 would need 1.15 times axle ratio used behind 6L80 to be comparable. I.e. 3.42 (5.3 Tahoe) = 3.93 for direct drive ratio.)

I drive a Tahoe (work car) with 5.3 and 6L80, great combination. I hope my turbo 1FZ and A760 can perform similarly with 5.29s and 35s! :clap:

1. No - a valve body will not add a gear. The A760F can suit your needs.
  2. We talk to Rodney on at least a weekly basis - lots to discuss given new products in development and release (VBs, TC lock-up kits, coolers, controllers, pans, etc.)
  3. @orangefj45 is the drivetrain brain around here - PM or email to georg@cruiserbrothers.com and he will get you wnat you need
  4. No - no progress on the 1FZ-FE/A750F adapter. Georg and I are going to Bayswater to visit WAT in early March and this is on the list

@wardharris Next time you talk to your transmission guy, ask him if his new valve body and controller can add 6th gear to the A750?

For the Allison 1000 used behind the Duramax, all it took to convert the older “5 speed” to the newer “6 speed” was a valvebody and controller swap. ALLISON LLY 6 SP CONVERSION

At the beginning of the thread, you said the conversion kit would include a valve body and controller. What I am hoping is that I can source an A750 out of 100 series that I know will bolt up to my transfer case and it can function like A760 found in current models.

The A760 has almost identical ratio spreads and steps as GMs 6L80. (Not ratios, 6L80 has 1.15:1 instead of 1:1, multiply A760 ratios by 1.15 to compare. This means A760 would need 1.15 times axle ratio used behind 6L80 to be comparable. I.e. 3.42 (5.3 Tahoe) = 3.93 for direct drive ratio.)

I drive a Tahoe (work car) with 5.3 and 6L80, great combination. I hope my turbo 1FZ and A760 can perform similarly with 5.29s and 35s! :clap:

I confirmed that the A650E from Lexus sedans, though similar to A343F will NOT work.

A650F 5 Speed for 1FZ

@wardharris Please get us a 1FZ - A750F bell housing. The controller and valve body would be a bonus.

I confirmed that the A650E from Lexus sedans, though similar to A343F will NOT work.

A650F 5 Speed for 1FZ

@wardharris Please get us a 1FZ - A750F bell housing. The controller and valve body would be a bonus.

^^^^agree! The bellhousing would get it moving. I still would like the controller but maybe add it later?

A650F 5 Speed for 1FZ

The only things I see holding up the A650E are the tailhousing and output shaft.

image.png.046054be45d161098268e298ae018cb7.png

imageproxy (1).jpeg

Can’t remember if this has been discussed, but could an adapter plate be made to make the back of a 1FZ look like a 1HDT and then, with an appropriate crank spacer/adapter, use the 100 series A750 bell and go from there? In another thread in here recently, a Panamanian member is saying his 1HDT will work with A750?

Bump after a few months; engine took a turn for the worse in my cruiser, was thinking if the engine comes out for rebuild or for a swap, would be the perfect time to put in a new tranny...having 5 speeds and a lower first gear at altitude would be fantastic. Seems like the Compushift will work with the 5 speed, is it just the bell housing that is the next long pole in the tent? Does the hf2a(v) bolt up to the A750? If we had a bellhousing for 500, 1k for the controller, a used trans and whatever the shifter kit/console mod would require, I'd be very tempted.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom