80 SERIES UPGRADE POLL - MANUMATIC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Reading through it, I don't feel the need to have a dedicated +/- controls as the current PRND21 + cruise off button already makes each gear selectable, so as long as that functionality remains and given the choice between 2 kits - I personally would go the A650 route.

However if the A750 turned out to be the only kit offered, I would also be fine with that. A 5 speed trans would make a huge difference in this thing.

The question:

"How many of you guys want a 1FZ-FE to A750 or A760 bellhousing kit that will make it easy to hook 'em up IF IT COST $600 FOR THE BELLHOUSING/ADAPTER?"

Doesn't look like you've gotten too many replies to this question. $600 for a custom bellhousing adapter seems fair to me. So I am in so far, now what else do I need ? Donor transmission, custom controller, custom shift gate ? Also is this bolting up to my current 80 series case ?

I have a pretty good transmission shop near me that I think could handle a go-through on a used transmission for me. I am thinking my search is on for a transmission for using your kit.

My question is: are you still planning for the kit to work with either the A750 or A760?

If so, I should be searching for the 6 speed.

And also, the same old question, do you have a timeline GUESS for availability?

Killer idea and product. Many thanks for making this happen!

I have a pretty good transmission shop near me that I think could handle a go-through on a used transmission for me. I am thinking my search is on for a transmission for using your kit.

My question is: are you still planning for the kit to work with either the A750 or A760?

If so, I should be searching for the 6 speed.

And also, the same old question, do you have a timeline GUESS for availability?

Killer idea and product. Many thanks for making this happen!
Thanks!

Still a work in progress. It is in WATs hands but no update. Guessing 12 months to production units on shelf if it happens. Yes it seems the 750/760 will work but need to confirm status.

Thanks!

Still a work in progress. It is in WATs hands but no update. Guessing 12 months to production units on shelf if it happens. Yes it seems the 750/760 will work but need to confirm status.

Great. Knowing for sure which transmission to seek out would be big.

I liked everything you said in that response except you need to change "if it happens" to "when it happens"!

Cheers :beer:

"How many of you guys want a 1FZ-FE to A750 or A760 bellhousing kit that will make it easy to hook 'em up IF IT COST $600 FOR THE BELLHOUSING/ADAPTER?"[/QUOTE]

I would be interested in something along these lines!

The gate shifter is easy, cheap, fits, etc. The later Tiptronic system is what we are positing - requires more effort, expense, doesn't fit out of the box - agreed all around. But the Tiptronic, manumatic, whatever you want to call it...... works better, provides better control vs. gate shifter.

The WAT package and approach has been used successfully for years in Australia - using the A750F or AB60F with manual shift control. The A750F came with gate style shift early in its life and Tiptronic style in later versions. The AB60F was designed that way.

Many/most of the 5 speed thread posts do not speak to the Tiptronic upgrade. The HGM transmission controller, Prodo/GX shifter and HD Nomad Valve Body Kit (based upon manual shift A750F) are all part of the WAT package and represent a significant portion of the cost and benefit of the manual-shift nature of this approach.

Comparing the auto-shift, gate style A750F vs. manual shift, Tiptronic A750F is like comparing apples and oranges. Both are fine, but offer different functionality, features, benefits, etc.

Having had trip tronic in an IS350, for that vehicle it was really nice. However, my road sled is never going to have the speed and handling to make trip tronic something I would use often enough to justify extra expense for.

For the $4k poll, I was expecting that minus the transmission, it would include everything else “bolt-on/plug and play”, that I could install the shifter without too much butchery and the finished product will look good and more importantly keep the 1FZ computer happy with no CEL.

If you can offer a kit that uses the normal valve body and shifter at the ~$2k price point, you would likely have 5x-10x the take rate. I absolutely want more gears with a wider spread in my 80, the manu shift feature I not so particular about.

Offer both to spread out your costs, Stage 1 gets the A750 in the 80, Stage 2 gets the upgraded shifter.

Fully agreed if there was an upgrade without the expense of triptronic!

Good comments. Some responses:
  • Yes, we agree on what would be included and what the results would be - no CEL
  • We are in the parts business. A $2k kit is fine with us if the customer does not want manual option
  • The "adapter" to mate the two is the key - plate/bellhousing/etc. - and large numbers via Option 1 AND Option 2 will drive down costs.
Stay tuned and keep up the conversation - with our thanks.

Would the 2K version be like a 2nd gen taco gated shifter, or just a straight pull? I think a gated shifter would give me all the control I would ever need in my 80. But a straight pull wouldn’t scare me off.

The three cases are same as far as I know - 750 gate, 750 Tiptronic and 760 Tiptronic, so the new bellhousing should be universal.

I have no opinion or advise on whether one should go 5 speed or 6 speed. Also no advice on using gate or Tiptronic version of 5 speed. We can supply what is needed for turning a non-shiftable 750 into a 750 manual.

The question:

"How many of you guys want a 1FZ-FE to A750 or A760 bellhousing kit that will make it easy to hook 'em up IF IT COST $600 FOR THE BELLHOUSING/ADAPTER?"

Interest would be peaked. If it was documented what all would be need to be done to take it from there to the road, I would be interested. I anticipate the more efficient transmission would likely result in better fuel economy/range. Less input energy lost to heat is always beneficial in my book!

Thanks!

That’s a fantastic time frame, my money tree should be back in bloom by then!

Just out of curiosity would the 2nd gear start function still work?

TLC 100 series came with that option IIRC, but second gear is much shorter compared to 80's second gear. 3rd gear would be more appropriate I think.

80 - 2nd gear is 1.53
100-2nd gear is 2.04
100-3rd gear is 1.40

Last edited:
I have not giving up hope... Just not enough time in the day. I still want to have a sit down with WardHarris one of these days.:steer:

Hey, it's the end of the month which means it's time to resurrect this thread.

Should we have some Christmas hopes on this topic?
Uh.....maybe.......

Seriously, no forward motion because of some other stuff in the queue - new temp gauges and US spec tranny coolers.

Not dead

UPDATE

No news to report, but Rodney Hudson Davies will be in USA for SEMA and a visit to Cruiser Brothers/Valley Hybrids on November 5. Planning on a little get-together at the shop, with more details to follow.

If you are in Northern Cal and want to drop by for some BBQ and truck talk, let me know. A good chance to let "the man" know of your interest n the 1FZ-FE / A750F adapter project.

Thanks!

Wish I could, sounds fun. I am still very interested in this upgrade.

UPDATE

No news to report, but Rodney Hudson Davies will be in USA for SEMA and a visit to Cruiser Brothers/Valley Hybrids on November 5. Planning on a little get-together at the shop, with more details to follow.

If you are in Northern Cal and want to drop by for some BBQ and truck talk, let me know. A good chance to let "the man" know of your interest n the 1FZ-FE / A750F adapter project.

Thanks!

Show him the results of this poll.
Divide by 3 and that should be a good perspective of what to expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom