80 Series Aftermarket Gauge Choices & Mounting Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My Australian 80 turbo build has had an aftermarket piggy back ECU with several sized logger dash display units available. It's at the tuners getting final tunes. He's organized a hand controller and saving map options on it for me. Hmmm options. lol I'll most likely get one of these down the track. 3.5″ DISPLAY DASH

Last edited:
I have a bad water temperature stock factory gauge. Is it possible to get something like a speed hut gauge to simply replace the factory gauge? Or, possibly do any of you folks have a line on a new factory water temp gauge?

I have a bad water temperature stock factory gauge. Is it possible to get something like a speed hut gauge to simply replace the factory gauge? Or, possibly do any of you folks have a line on a new factory water temp gauge?
What makes it "bad"? Have you checked the sensor/wiring?

No movement on needle, with the needle sitting very low. The temperature sender is ok. Brief history; tear the speedometer cable out in woods after hunting one morning. Ah, logging trails! Then, I order a new Speedo cable and with the help from I h8mud posts, I install the speedo cable. Then, I find out that my dash lights are out, and water temp gauge. So, after another guy I work with tells me about Edward at Auto Haus Bok, (I’m in Germany) I take the truck to him and ask him to get the dash lights back on. Six new bulbs later, I’m happy. But, Edward tells me that he’s tested the sender, and that in his opinion as a Toyota cert mechanic, is that the temp gauge is shot. He can’t find a new one in Europe. Thoughts?

94659579-022E-4327-8E3B-F7510704CD16.jpeg

I’m very happy with the 14-1.
it’s small, so not obnoxious.
I inserted a threadedram ball into @NLXTACY useless cubby insert block.
then a ram swivel to a flat plate.
Home Depot industrial double tape to secure gauge to plate.
It’s been on for months now. Tape hasn’t failed me yet.
Gauge is programmable. With visible & audile warning indicators.
you can set what gauges display, others not visible will appear on screen if the sensor goes out of your warning programmable settings.

I have my boost gauge on top, in the large font.
Under that I have 4 additional gauges. Water temp, oil temp, AFR, & oil pressure.

B78B2B7D-9E3A-4AA7-911C-5F619387EAAB.jpeg
940098E3-05BA-42E6-B043-48958C544136.jpeg
CCD9CABB-0AA1-44AE-9AE0-8107A54A5D99.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m very happy with the 14-1.
it’s small, so not obnoxious.
I inserted a threadedram ball into @NLXTACY useless cubby insert block.
then a ram swivel to a flat plate.
Home Depot industrial double tape to secure gauge to plate.
It’s been on for months now. Tape hasn’t failed me yet.
Gauge is programmable. With visible & audile warning indicators.
you can set what gauges display, others not visible will appear on screen if the sensor goes out of your warning programmable settings.

I have my boost gauge on top, in the large font.
Under that I have 4 additional gauges. Water temp, oil temp, AFR, & oil pressure.

View attachment 2247033View attachment 2247034View attachment 2247035

Looks good! Only thing i don't like is that selector pad. I've had other gauges in the past with those and they never quite seem to function. Maybe this one is better quality. Is it something you need to use often or just for changing settings?
Wonder if it could be hidden somewhere for a cleaner install.

I'll make sure to get some pics posted as soon as I can. The Turbo/gauge install turned out great, couldn't be happier. I had to hit pause on the project for awhile, outta town working some serious OT. Looking forward to getting back to it soon!

I copied you:
1585013604389.png

Looks good! Only thing i don't like is that selector pad. I've had other gauges in the past with those and they never quite seem to function. Maybe this one is better quality. Is it something you need to use often or just for changing settings?
Wonder if it could be hidden somewhere for a cleaner install.

I haven’t touched it since install. It could be mounted behind the dash. If I ever have it apart again, I would likely do that.

Very nice! I hated to do it but I ended up drilling a 3/4" hole in the center console directly behind the middle gauge to route the wiring. My original plan was to run everything through the gap but it just made it easier to go straight through. I like the location while driving, it's not in your face but the gauges are easily visible if your watching them close. I'll be home tonight, I'll post pics of my final setup. It turned out great

So I ended up riveting a 2" piece of aluminum to the top side of the gauge cluster and sticking it in the gap between the lower and upper console. It fits snug and with a couple short sheet metal screws underneath going into the upper console it is nice and secure. I stuck a piece of soft sticky back Velcro on it where it contacts the plastic so it doesn't rattle when I'm bouncing around on the trail (or the campsite if ya know what I mean ;)) I went with AEM gauges, wish I could have matched up the faces but I wanted each gauge for specific reasons.

-The center gauge is AEM's failsafe boost gauge with both boost and AFM readings that are fully programable, PN: 30-4900. Wideband Failsafe Gauge | AEM.
-The left gauge is theX-Series Water/Trans/Oil Temp Gauge 100~300F PN: 30-0302 X-Series 300F/150C Water/Trans/Oil Temp Gauge | AEM
- The right gauge is the meth flow gauge PN: 30-5141 (0-500cc). Will probably prove to be unnecessary overkill but it will be nice for troubleshooting if things get hot whether or not im getting water flow to the nozzle. Water/Methanol Flow Gauge | AEM

Overall I'm very happy with the setup. Ill be sure to follow up if I have any issues with it or change it up for any reason.

Gauge1.jpg

Gauge2.jpg

Gauge3.jpg

gauge5.jpg

gauge6.jpg

Was JUST about to pull the trigger on the 14-1 (on sale again) then found Zada tech.
They make different gauge options that are super cool and some have OLED screens you can place wherever you want. The
coolest one i found integrates into an autodimming rear mirror. Wondering if i could get this to work.

Zada Tech

zada.PNG

Dang that's steep! The cool factor is up there, but unless they come down a lot most people won't entertain their option.

Has everyone seen this:

Allows for multiple sensors and can handle both gauge outputs and bluetooth to your phone

Has everyone seen this:

Allows for multiple sensors and can handle both gauge outputs and bluetooth to your phone
Yep. Actually sent an email to PLX asking if that could work with one of their newer gauges AND a DM100 to show AFR live and boost/other things on the other all at once. Still no reply.

Has everyone seen this:

I too was very intrigued with this route however, I was less than keen on having multiple screens and such scattered around my interior so I resorted to the 52mm gauge route instead. I feel they will provide a much less intrusive look. My $0.02! Cheers!

Has everyone seen this:

I like the way it ties everything together and makes for an easier install. I'm curious what sensors they use and what the reviews are on them, especially the wideband afr sensor. Seems like many of them can be unreliable.

I like the way it ties everything together and makes for an easier install. I'm curious what sensors they use and what the reviews are on them, especially the wideband afr sensor. Seems like many of them can be unreliable.

it looks like from their documentation that the senders are VDO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom