80-MUD-AND The Human Element (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Maybe this is chat, mods can move if you need to;

I just have to thank this crew on here, my 80 series brothers.

A lot has changed recently with my life... all good... Building a house is incredibly time consuming, nerve wracking, worriesome, angry... etc. times. A lot of good times too.

Well, I've been driving the 80 about 150 to 200 miles a day lately. The trailer behind it loaded with everything from wood beams, to tile. I get to the site and drive up the mud and rocky hill several times a day. i don't have to think about any of the driving, as the 80 is always 4x4, always reliable, always there when I need her. Who would have thought that a truck with 200,000 miles on the clock, that I paid $5000 dollars for, would be such a great vehicle... Y'all did, and you were right. The Ford would have laid down by now for sure, I'd have had to change a CV axle, or the tranny by now in that thing.

So, as my 'ol girl changes her OD over 200,000 miles today, I won't stop to take a picture of some beautiful rocky mountain trail, won't be camping, or making a trip to the city museum... I'll be cruising down the interstate, my family safely inside, trailer in tow, headed to a day full of hard work at the job site. BUT, don't you think for one moment that I won't watch that tick to 200,000 and think nothing of the event! I'll be thankfull!

So, once again, thanks for proving something to this Jeeper about the Toyota 80 Series Land Cruiser. Y'all are owed a HUGE Thank You from ME!!

Last edited:
My wife's Jag XJR, having broken down and stranded her Friday for the third time in 3 months, reminds me that the Land Cruiser is the ONLY vehicle I have ever owned that I can truly take for granted. Owned a bunch of them and they have never one time laid down on me or left me stranded, ever.

Lee Iacocca once said "If you can find a better car, buy it." I did, a Toyota Land Cruiser.

So, once again, thanks for proving something to this Jeeper about the Toyota 80 Series Land Cruiser.

That's a good candidate for a sig line..................:grinpimp:

Tht's a great idea Dan.

Well now for the rest of the 200,000 mile story...

I didn't roll-over 200,000 the other night, it happened last night. I went to the construction site yesterday, carried 12 rolls of felt, and three rolls of valley 90lb felt in the back of the cruiser. Even with all that weight, the Cruiser just sat level. Then for the big event, I went to pick up my boat to put it in drydock, as we have some cold weather on the way.

By the time I got to the lake, it was dusk, I was already nervous taking this big boat out of the lake by myself for the first time. When I saw thw lake, it only added to the nervousness. The level of the lake was at least 20 ft below winter pool, which is 20 feet below summer pool... that's a whoppng 40 ft down! The boat ramp was soooooo long and steep. At the end, the trailer would be off the end of the ramp, and into the lake bottom. Mud, and Rocks!

I went to get the boat out of the slip, leaving the Cruiser and the trailer in the parking lot. I parked the boat next to the Marina rest., and the depth gauge was reading 11 ft. It's normally 50 ft at least! I walked back to the Cruiser, and the owner's son was putting his boat back in the water, with his Dad's '07 Chevy, 1 Ton 4x4 dually diesel truck. This thing is big, black, and mean looking. I sat on my trailer waiting for him to come back up the ramp. It was dark now, I could see the yellow cab lights on the roof, and this big black truck looked small down in the hole of a boat ramp... My heart was racing! All I could think of was a school I took in the Army, that taught us to slow down, and think before we moved. That was life and death, this seemed like a good situation to apply this technique to.

The diesel dually came roaring back up the slope, Wow, that's impressive, I was thinking. I talked to the driver. He looked at the Cruiser, and said " I hope that thing is 4 wheel drive." He gave me some pointers, as the ramp normally three lanes, was a one lane perfect line up to make it work.

I jumped into the Cruiser, and backed down the long ramp. Lightning and wind kicking up as a cold front pushed in. Rain!!

I left the Cruiser with the parking lamps on, and the trailer under water. The Cruiser looked so small down there all by itself. She had 199,968 miles on the clock. I drove the boat toward the trailer a few minutes later. The boat draws 3.5 feet of H2O, I was in 4 ft of H2O at the back of the trailer. Lightenning, heavy wind, and a light rain pushed and pulled at the boat. I finally got it on the trailer. After several winch and releases, I got it centered. Got back in the Cruiser, and dropped into 4 low. The old Girl climbed right back up. I checked the boat, and trailer, then proceeded up that big hill out of the marina that I've told y'all about before. I used 4-low again, and we just easily creeped back out of the abiss, carrying about 6000 to 6500 lbs.

I'm sorry for the lengthy report, but I just think that it shows how much we have to rely on these machines at times. The Cruiser is truely a Swiss Army knife of trucks. AND, at nearly 200,000 miles, still can perform it's duties without mechanical worries. (Maint. is key, I'll admit that).

The trip home takes about two hours. The rain and wind were so intense at times, that I was down to 20 MPH. The semis were driving centered in two lanes, because of the strong winds. I saw 5 cars in the ditches on the trip. I was comfortable with the all-wheel-drive, safe and sound.

On 840 bypass about 30 miles from home, raging storm, no other cars in sight, a long days work under our belt, the Cruiser flipped it's OD over to 200,000 miles. I did get the camera out and take shots of the OD at 199,999 and 200,000 mile marks. An incredible way to to mark an equally incredible milestone for my Cruiser.

I understand, a little now, how much it hurts for Refugg, and PK80, to loose a Cruiser that has been a part of their daily lives. They are part of the family, the Cruiser's are. Such an incredible machine!

Last edited:
Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Good story!

Great story! Had to laugh a lot about the boat ramp. I've seen many Chevy and Ford pick ups, Suburbans and the like struggling on the boat ramp out at Park Moabi. Just knew half way thru your story that the cruiser would just crawl right up your boat ramp w/o issues!

I wish my odometer worked :)

Nice. Always good to hear that others feel their 80 is more than the sum of its parts...

DougM

My family and I feel the same way. We just watch the OD turn 150,000. The "relationship" built between man and cruiser is similar to man and dog. Always there, loyal, trust worthy. When the NAV had me going to Japan the saddest part for the whole family was leaving the CRUSHER behind. Good thing that fell through, so the mods and maintenance continue to keep her going.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom