Builds 79 FJ 40 Rebuild (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wiper linkage

C0E1E490-6EF9-447C-A6C8-591A9311BEAC.jpeg

FF7505E0-C27B-4B0D-B196-2400841922D7.jpeg

5D48C0AF-4CF4-4E76-B31A-772A3B6F360E.jpeg

093B440D-274D-4E55-A56F-DC06740084C3.jpeg

Next we Would like to rebuild the front knuckles. There are so many options for purchase. Is one kit better than another, does it matter that much?

This will be followed by or in conjunction with removing the body. I’m assuming (hate that word) we remove the steering column at the gear box?

Next we Would like to rebuild the front knuckles. There are so many options for purchase. Is one kit better than another, does it matter that much?

This will be followed by or in conjunction with removing the body. I’m assuming (hate that word) we remove the steering column at the gear box?

We would love to help @ Cruiser Outfitters. All Japanese parts in our comprehensive kit and includes step by step instructions too!

Good morning everyone!,

I have been looking for a project for my daughter and I for this winter. She is 15 and really interested in mechanics right now, so I thought this would be a great daddy daughter project.

Years ago I had a 97 TJ with the 4 Cyl, ran for 6 years, swapped in another 4 cyl then a SB350 with TH 350 trans advance adapter to np231 full width 79 bronco axles 5:13 gears 6’’ long arm anti sway yards yadda yadda. Also had an 89 Dodge Raider nursed it back to life, wish I still had it lol. I’ll do my best to search the threads before I ask a question. I used pirate 4x4 when I did the 350 swap, some users can be pretty hateful. Not saying anyone here.

On this 79 FJ, it’s had a poor resto job done from the dash back, debating on finding a tub or just make it look cleaner and roll on. What i mean is, body panels were bought and put over rusted panels, tailgate area has a solid piece of sheet metal running across it. Thinking of at least removing that and bolting an a non oem fold down tailgate.

Frame needs some patches at rear body mounts and rear brace. Ive seen that all those can be purchased and welded in. Not the best welder but I can do a fair job, shiny black paint helps!

Front half of the body is mostly good! Pin hole rust along nose of hood and bottom of grill at hinge mount.

So the motor runs/drives. Blowing smoke at startup, could be dirty carb it sat for 3 years, bad timing etc. Regadless I want to at least do a top end rebuild. My daughter is excited to take it apart. I was wondering though, any tell tale signs that the bottom end needs work? I don’t see any metal in the oil, no knocking. I’m going to do a compression test today, check timing and maybe clean up the carb and see when I’m getting smoke and exactly what color it is.

I’d love to buy a power steering kit but the instructions seemed a little intimidating…

Body is coming off the frame, clean strip rust treat, thinking 2.5’’ lift I saw there is a lot of combinations to try and get a soft ride (reasonably soft it is an FJ). Anything will be better then the current blown shocks and old springs.

Anyway that’s my intro, Any help ruling out the bottom end would be great. And maybe I just do a full engine rebuild I just feel like that’s a little more invasive than I am comfortable with not sure the difference in $$$ top end vs complete.

Looking forward to posting some build pics

I wouldn't be in a hurry to pull the frame, unless you want a lollipop.

Screenshot_20230521-110324_Gallery.jpg

GM, looking for some assistance with my brake booster/cylinder. I’ve searched but cannot find the answer to this question. My pressure sensor has rubber cups on the bottom which are slightly leaking. I’m not sure why they are called. I can’t find an image of them anywhere online. IDK if they are commonly swapped out for something more reliable. Any help would be much appreciated. This is a Bendix booster & master

IMG_6231.jpeg

Those are just covers, replacing them will not fix any leak. You will need to find where the leak is coming from.
Oh my goodness. I didn’t even try to take them off due to worry it would leak everywhere. Thanks so much. I think I just need new pressure sensors and should be GTG thanks

Had to happen.
Fuel tank is no good
Two mounts on tub ripped off due to rust
Need to replace rear cross member and section at rear spring perch
Repair mid frame mount and frame section
Much welding ahead

Idk if cruiser solutions still offers the rear cross member section with the ends of the frame, also need those angle braces.

Will be hitting frame with wire wheel and grinder for a while

IMG_6393.jpeg

I also have a 79 with some significant frame rust and have sifted through some options out there. As far as frame pieces go a couple different vendors are available including
Manafrelv.com
@Awl_TEQ makes and sells through another website you can find it in his threads
Cruisersolutions

Depending on the route you want to take you could also consider replacing the entire frame. Aqualu makes aftermarket entire frames. Other vendors sell used but rust free frames as well.

I salute you and wish you good luck against the red devil.

I also have a 79 with some significant frame rust and have sifted through some options out there. As far as frame pieces go a couple different vendors are available including
Manafrelv.com
@Awl_TEQ makes and sells through another website you can find it in his threads
Cruisersolutions

Depending on the route you want to take you could also consider replacing the entire frame. Aqualu makes aftermarket entire frames. Other vendors sell used but rust free frames as well.

I salute you and wish you good luck against the red devil.
Thanks! Today was the dreaded mental defeat day I’ve been putting off. I think I’ll try to mend with angle iron. I’ve watched several videos and read build threads. A lot of ways to go about it.
Other than the box kit
Rear crossmember
Frame ends

Has anyone found mid frame sections for repairs?

There is a guy in Gallup, NM who has has a couple frames for sale on Craigslist for awhile. I realize it’s no where near you but I’m in NM for the summer and may be talked into a road trip to inspect. They look decent from the photos.

There is a guy in Gallup, NM who has has a couple frames for sale on Craigslist for awhile. I realize it’s no where near you but I’m in NM for the summer and may be talked into a road trip to inspect. They look decent from the photos.

These have been listed for awhile and we’re previously listed for much less FYI so I’m guessing the OBO part is very real.

These have been listed for awhile and we’re previously listed for much less FYI so I’m guessing the OBO part is very real.
1979+ frames are different from prior years and won’t work for OP. Otherwise that would be a good deal especially coming with a title if you need it.

Thanks for the insight and support. I think I’m going to repair the inner c channel at the mid body mounts. I have to remove the bottom of both c channels from there to about the front of the transmission.
Replace with two strips of overlapping 3/16 angle iron/steel reinforced with frame stiffeners along inner/outer frame.

Contemplating making my own rear crossmember from 2x4 c channel, replace rear angle brackets, frame ends and for good measure add a frame box kit.

Looks like where the frame bends up at the leaf hangers/body mount is a common weak point….

Nothing to it right lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom