Builds 79 FJ 40 Rebuild (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks! Today was the dreaded mental defeat day I’ve been putting off. I think I’ll try to mend with angle iron. I’ve watched several videos and read build threads. A lot of ways to go about it.
Other than the box kit
Rear crossmember
Frame ends

Has anyone found mid frame sections for repairs?

too bad you are on the other side of the country, I've got a nice frame with slight front frame damage that the rest of the frame is in very nice shape. I could have gotten it transported 2 weeks ago to Kentucky

too bad you are on the other side of the country, I've got a nice frame with slight front frame damage that the rest of the frame is in very nice shape. I could have gotten it transported 2 weeks ago to Kentucky
You won a million dollars, too bad the ticket expired yesterday. Lol I’d rather not know… thanks though! I’ve gone from being overwhelmed to having a game plan. Found a nice local steel yard.
I’m going to get this tub buttoned up then work on the frame.
I just hate that after all this work on the body, once you look under it you’ll know it’s Frankensteined due to PO. I’m sure it’ll be fun though

You won a million dollars, too bad the ticket expired yesterday. Lol I’d rather not know… thanks though! I’ve gone from being overwhelmed to having a game plan. Found a nice local steel yard.
I’m going to get this tub buttoned up then work on the frame.
I just hate that after all this work on the body, once you look under it you’ll know it’s Frankensteined due to PO. I’m sure it’ll be fun though

Hey man I didn't mean to discourage you. If you do it right, the frame will tell a story and not be something the next PO complains about.

Look at this work for inspiration! Builds - 1975 frame off. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1975-frame-off.388718/

Just came across a FB add
OME Dakar 2.5 springs w/bushings and bilstein shocks $750
Needing u bolt kit & shackles
Idk if it’sa good buy or risky piecing everything together

Thoughts?

If you want to buy, make sure they are for a 8/80 or older. The 8/80 and newer won’t work.
They were for a 78. I definitely need new shocks, leaf’s are rusted, spine cracking.

I love bilstein shocks, these would run around $380+shipping

I think $50 for bushing

Having a hard time pricing OME leafs only vs kit but I think they are $150 each. So after u bolt kit and shackles I’d have a new suspension lift for about $1k….?

New parts

IMG_6519.jpeg

Not the most beautiful rescue but at least we can reuse the fuel tank skid

Added some reinforcement where the joint is in the two plates. Cut away the majority of the rot while keeping it effective. I hope lol. My daughter got to try her hand at welding finally. Blind leading the blind

IMG_6497.jpeg

IMG_6522.jpeg

IMG_6523.jpeg

Looking for measurements on the mid body mount which sits on the crossmember just in front of the rear wheels. Both of Mine ripped off while trying to remove the body mount bolts😢. I just need to know the height from the bottom of the tub or bottom of the crossmember. This is for my 79.

IMG_6524.jpeg

IMG_6525.jpeg

Sorry for any confusion. The body mount on the frame is usable, this is actually connected to the body. I can easily make what I need I just don’t know what the factory measurements are. It would be these two mounts only on a 79

IMG_6526.jpeg

I won't be able to pull the measurements from mine (Jan 1980 is more or less a 79) for two weeks - will check back to see if you got it resolved before then.

Progress:

Finished removing the majority of the rust from the body, some patches were needed. PO did some awful panel repairs😩. I don’t have the time to undue everything so just making the best of what I have. We used the SEM Rockit kit, pretty happy with the results. I’ll do the inside of the tub once I’m completely done with the underside.

BBE46106-7284-429F-9FFE-BA257F4148B4.jpeg

69FCDC21-2975-4957-A7E5-DA958C50A17A.jpeg

F622ADED-3F5F-400B-B88A-893D148FC70E.jpeg

604C10AB-1241-4808-A417-39ADFEE0457E.jpeg

EFE37DB2-A0D5-45B2-8B9D-B64FC43D0E55.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom