78 FJ40 tires rubbing on fender (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.repercussionbrewery.com
Hi guys. I just got new wheels and the offset is a little different and sticks out a little.

Where ever I hit a bump, I'm touching the fenders.

Im on stock suspension and clearly need to do a lift.

What would you recommend without breaking the bank?

Tires are BF Goodrich A/T 31x10.5x15.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_9936.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

IMG_0756.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

New shackles will clear 31's.

Rear fender flares (cut-outs) allow you to trim about 1" off the front and rear edges of the rear fender opening, and about 2" across the top. If you don't mind molesting the body, this (and longer spring shackles) is the way to go.

Not sure I like your front fenders and running boards???

New shackles in the rear will be the cheapest option.

I just installed the skyjacker 2.5" kit with stock shackles and am happy with the results, it was very affordable.

i don't have any pics, running 33x10.5 stock 60 series rims with no rubbing on rear fender.

I wonder if those new rear quarters wear cut smaller than stock.

i don't have any pics, running 33x10.5 stock 60 series rims with no rubbing on rear fender.

I wonder if those new rear quarters wear cut smaller than stock.
Previous owner fabricated the rear fenders. New sheet metal. They don't look proper size. He made the front fenders also.

Maybe I should cut out my opening bigger and put fender flares like Downy suggested.

You can but you mentioned cost effective options. I'm going with OEM 2.5" but that's a bit more expensive.

My extended shackles and 31's no problem

IMG_5592.JPG

I have stock shackles on the front and 1.5 over stock on the rear done from PO as well as fender flares... currently running 33 x 12.50 with no issue...

I'll be going @Flatlanderfj40 's route as soon as I figure a way to scare up the funds for it.... along with my nearly finished steelies w/33 x 10.50 KM2s

If you do go rear fender flares, don't cut the body until you get the flares, then use the flares as the templet. I guess this all sounds very obvious!!!!!

Shackles.... quick fix

Crazy looking quarters, they look to tight against the tire..... and fenders look crazy too!!

Id try and cut quarters to factory spec so you can gain some clearance around tire.

Id say you would have never had a problem, if PO had kept the original clearance around rear tire when he fabbed up quarters.

I like skinny wheels and tires. Get 6 inch wide wheels (Steelies)....

NOOO fender flares.

I like OEM 2.5 lift

Just my honest opinion..

Shackles.... quick fix

Crazy looking quarters, they look to tight against the tire..... and fenders look crazy too!!

Id try and cut quarters to factory spec so you can gain some clearance around tire.

Id say you would have never had a problem, if PO had kept the original clearance around rear tire when he fabbed up quarters.

I like skinny wheels and tires. Get 6 inch wide wheels (Steelies)....

NOOO fender flares.

I like OEM 2.5 lift

Just my honest opinion..
Was thinking about cutting to factory specs as well. Would you know where I can get a template for it or just get dimensions?

Not a fan of flares to be honest.

Shackles might be my best current solution until I figure out what I really wanna do with it.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Was thinking about cutting to factory specs as well. Would you know where I can get a template for it or just get dimensions?

Find an "original" 40 near you and see if the owner will let you get a pattern off their rig. I would hang some craft paper squaring it up at the front and top. Taping it around the edges of the quarter and draw/shade with charcoal pencil to transfer the dimensions to the craft paper.

Once on the paper you can take it back to your rig and transfer it to your quarters. And start cutting.....

Don't forget the folded lip around wheel well. Leave your self enough material to make that bend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom