'77 - Upper Radiator Grill (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GA Architect

SILVER Star
Threads
I posted the below photo in my build thread and noticed the exposed upper section of my radiator. As seen below, the center opening between the hood and bib is not protected on my '77. I know some later years have a separate mesh screen to protect this area, and the early rigs have a higher grill mesh than on the '77's. I'd like to address this, if possible. The second photo below is a design I'm trying to get a local welding shop to fab, but I'm have a hard time getting this done. Any MUD members have some scrap 1/2" raised mesh screen and 1/2" (or 3/4") U edging that could put the below plan together? I can fab a bracket to bolt to the top radiator support holes and then the new upper grille.

The opening:
IMG_3547.jpg

My proposed "Upper Radiator Grill"
Top Radiator Grate.jpg

Note: While on the road, I'm one strategically place kicked-up rock away from damaging my new OEM radiator. Also, I can find the 1/2" 'flat' expanded metal, but the raised kind seems to be elusive locally.

Last edited:
The waffle pattern expanded metal is quite tough to find - I had found some years ago and planned to make just what you are planning to build , then the source of said metal ran out and hasn't had any since . I'm pretty sure it came from overseas originally - maybe the UK ? Best bet is to start emailing some of the East Coast metal suppliers with a picture of the oem expanded metal at an angle so they can see the raised pattern and ask if some can be sourced . I'd be surprised if any of them will sell small strips - probably have to buy a full sheet . That u-channel isn't easy to source either and also requires a special die to bend it to keep the channel from collapsing .
Just some fyi ...

Sarge

Well, I'm East coast and have seen the stuff you're looking for being used as 'plaster lathe' in the 1940's and 50's as quicker than wood lathe but before drywall.

Check out the following link and look for 'gallery mesh'. The information on the website says this is '3D' and the gallery mesh is 1/2"
Amaco Wireform Mesh - BLICK art materials

Wouldn't be just easier to get the new OEM screen and made it out of it?I don't know if they still sell that screen...

Wouldn't be just easier to get the new OEM screen and made it out of it?I don't know if they still sell that screen...

I tried the part number 53011-90302, but it comes up empty. I had an option to buy a full height '76 screen and opted not to destroy it.

Call Onlinemetals - it's Thyssen-Krupp AG, which is one of the world's largest metal suppliers. They sell small pieces. You can also buy 3/4" U channel from them.

Keep this in mind, though, bending already bent metal is a higher-level skill set in metal-working

As for bending the "U Edging", I'd cut about 3/4 of the height of the 'U' out for about a 1" section to make the bend. Here is a better picture of what I'd propose. This is bascially how the existing edging around the grill is done.

Top Radiator Grate.jpg

The 1/2" raised expanded metal is not common around here for some reason. I can find the 1/2" flat/smooth all day long though.

Last edited:
I do have a spare grill screen in NC ,but I am here in TX and will be back in about 4 months..Rick-would that 76 tall screen fit in 77 and cover the radiator?Just curious....I too have an exposed radiator at the top and honestly never thought about it until you pointed on it...Good catch!

I do have a spare grill screen in NC ,but I am here in TX and will be back in about 4 months..Rick-would that 76 tall screen fit in 77 and cover the radiator?Just curious....I too have an exposed radiator at the top and honestly never thought about it until you pointed on it...Good catch!

I believe you can make the old screen work on a '77, but you may have to modify the attachment points somewhat. Also, there is something about the different hoods, as the '77 does not allow for the high screen, so one would have to bend the top of the screen back a little?

For me, I have an AC condenser in front of my radiator with very little space to modify. Thus the route I'm trying to take.

Last edited:
you can bend U-shaped pieces, but you have to build a way of doing so... it follows the same process as tube bending.

it's nice to know there's companies out there producing this - though I think bending 11 ga steel, u-shaped steel around a mandrel would be quite a task.

to that end, use 3003 Aluminum U-shaped channel. It should bend pretty easily to the shape you want.

anyway, this seems to be moving towards an argument - so I am bowing out and wishing you the best.

you can bend U-shaped pieces, but you have to build a way of doing so... it follows the same process as tube bending.

it's nice to know there's companies out there producing this - though I think bending 11 ga steel, u-shaped steel around a mandrel would be quite a task.

to that end, use 3003 Aluminum U-shaped channel. It should bend pretty easily to the shape you want.

anyway, this seems to be moving towards an argument - so I am bowing out and wishing you the best.

Interesting you posted about aluminum....I was just looking into some thin stock that I can easily bend and paint. If McNichols doesn't come thru, I'm going to use the Depot's 1/2" flat stock expanded metal and some thin wall aluminum tubing. I'll take my dremmel and route the tubing, then form it to the shape I want, insert the expanded metal and beat the tubing flat as best I can, then paint....:hmm:

All the edging needs to do is cover the jagged edge of the expanded metal.

could you just get another of the mesh grill and cut off what you need?

not really sure how much protecting it will give you.

Ok, seems as though the 1/2" raised expanded metal and trying to radius the edging is going to be difficult and costly......So, I've come up with option #2, as seen below. With this design, I can source the parts I need and do the work myself. Once completed, I'll finish out this tread.....Thanks for all the advice/help/direction/other......

Top Radiator Grate - 2.jpg

I have a damaged screen that I am not using I will send it to you if you want.

Dyno

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom