Build 76 Fj40 Face Lift

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Who says you can never go home.

Skeet range, Short trips, and two lane saunters are the extent of my pedal time so far this summer. Meade Hall and Mountain time keep nudging to the front of the feeding line keeping 2.0 on the hind tit. After moving the patio furniture outdoor earlier, the House Frau and self appointed Dictator for Life wants me to tidy up BG.

Deciding a rainy day was my target of opportunity I moved 2.0 over to the storage bld. Had to cover up the headlights and coax him in using a fresh can of octane boost.

I did avoid a potential situation with the garage door. The mule is wearing a slightly taller shoe and sporting a soft top vice the original HT. The lighter stance took some of the weight off of the OME’s adding even more height. Had to break out the tape measure to verify I could safely navigate the opening.

I don’t get to say this very often but, I squeaked him in with an inch to spare.

So, the mule is “home” for the first time in some time. I even wained a little nostalgic when I realized it wasn’t 10* F and the glare from the dual shop light wasn’t flash blinding me.

Probably going to leave it tucked away until the BG meets Ms Revenges white glove approval.

I think I found the source of the occasional petrol fumes. Good opportunity to take on some exploratory surgery and avoid a potential environmental disaster in the BG.

IMG_7437.webp


IMG_7436.webp
 
I have not been much on Mud lately and now catching up on my reading.
I must say this was shocking to see, and judging from the lack of updates the situation has not changed.
Did you get the Mule banned from the BG again????

I am disappointed…..
 
It’s only a flesh wound.

The annual spring clean of the BG triggered a move of convenience.

“The die is now cast”. We’ll march soon. As soon as I cross the rubicon, I’ll mark the triumphal return with a parade.

Probably sacrifice a burger and a Belgian Lager for good measure..🍻


I have not been much on Mud lately and now catching up on my reading.
I must say this was shocking to see, and judging from the lack of updates the situation has not changed.
Did you get the Mule banned from the BG again????

I am disappointed…..
 
Can I ask what you used for wheels and tire size?


Edit: Falken tire in 285-75-R16. Wildpeak A/T 4W
Fifteen52 black Analog rims/drilled and tapped to add retaining clips for OE caps.

IMG_0043.webp


Resized_20240404_162857.webp
 
Last edited:
It’s only a flesh wound.

The annual spring clean of the BG triggered a move of convenience.

“The die is now cast”. We’ll march soon. As soon as I cross the rubicon, I’ll mark the triumphal return with a parade.

Probably sacrifice a burger and a Belgian Lager for good measure..🍻
I just went through the Bear story, you might include a few bottles of Chardonnay to mellow the mood before poking the bear.;)
 
I just went through the Bear story, you might include a few bottles of Chardonnay to mellow the mood before poking the bear.;)

I have learned a thing or two over the years….Apparently, so have you.😉
 
Wile away the hours in an off hand way.

Given the opportunity and no domestic supervision, I’ll occasionally take to fits of aimless wandering. Today is one of those opportunities.

Having no particular obligations or self imposed commitments, I figured today was a good day to stray down the “why don’t I” path. So, I popped the cap on a BP Station offering, put out a generous helping of cracked corn (there’s a reason they call it crack) to my back yard garden crew and settled into the 2026 version of “leafing through the Sears catalog”.

Initial engagement: (spring-ish 2027) Dakota Digital, the Warn winch I threatened to install a year ago, and a rear disk setup comes to mind. Admittedly, these preliminary skirmishes are just an ill conceived prelude meant to convince myself that if I have the prerequisite ancillary parts in place, it wouldn’t be a far reach to rationalize a 1fz or a 2uz heart beat filling the engine bay of 2.0…🙄

This is more of a rational/irrational argument aimed at eventually keeping 2.0 in the sunshine state. Hoping GOV Ron will eventually offer a tax break for those knuckle draggers willing to drive an improved solid axle relic on I95. Not totaling willing to dispose of the 2f just yet. That’s fodder for another day and another random neural firing.

100% agree that an LS is an option worthy of a place at the table. It just makes sense. Its just I’ve have taken a shine to the idea of modern Yota power plant making power under the hood. The 1fz looks the part as a natural progression. But, @bagochips76 is making the 2uz into a prime contender.

Would like to keep the one piece, 76 H42 and the new(ish) 3:70’s for nostalgia.

Not sure I can be talked off the ledge…

IMG_1531.webp
 
I’m not sure if you’re feeding the "garden crew" or baiting your next engine-swap enabler with your post.

I’m afraid I’m no help talking you off the ledge. I’m standing on the same one. I have a 1FZ sitting on an engine stand in my garage, with parts steadily flowing in for full rebuild, and yet I keep finding myself leaning toward the 2UZ. Even @solomrus was saying 2uz a couple weeks ago (found an adaptor from 2uz to h55 vs the unicorn bellhousing for 1fz to h55 - just saying - like finding a blue-eyed unicorn)

This all seems completely rational… right up until you realize we’re contemplating replacing a perfectly good 2F. Oh yeah, must be the crack.

Edit: I will admit being in Sacramento and not the prairie keeps the crack jitters at bay, some.
 
@OlYellr

I feel like we met a rehab..

Absolutely love the inline look of the 1fz…it’s a natural. But, thinking the 2uz may be the wallflower princess at the dance.
 
Now I have never driven anything in an FJ40 other than a 1.5F and 2F. The way this 1975 Sniper fed and fired by Hyperspark 2F is running I would have no interest in another type of engine. And that’s probably due to the fact I have never even seen one
 
@OlYellr

I feel like we met a rehab..

Absolutely love the inline look of the 1fz…it’s a natural. But, thinking the 2uz may be the wallflower princess at the dance.
Pretty sure that’s how we met in rehab.

The 2UZ is the wallflower princess at the dance. All quiet and innocent… right up until “Hold my beer.”
 
Once you go to a V8, you'll be asking yourself, why did I waste all that time and money on that enimic 6 cylinder?
 
You know, if you NEED an excuse to come to Montana, I guess going to Overland Cruisers would be a legitimate reason. I don't think I could come up with any other reasons.
 
Wow…. Even without the chassis and wheels? I’ve been missing out on something
 
Even though my FJ40 is a bit off the path of pure stock, there is a level of purist still stuck somewhere. Maybe a 2nd 40 might be the key
 
Back
Top Bottom