Builds 75 Series cab on 80 series chassis with Cummins 6BT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My @beno box came in today. Not in the mood to go out in the garage and deal with the rear end so I am doing easy stuff inside. Replaced the last two broken vents with new.
Working on locker dial install and trying to figure out the exact right OEM placement. Anyone have a photo of the holes? I have seen a few photos of where is should be located but rather wait for some guideance before I wing it and drill unwanted holes. Already have a few you can see that I need to weld up.
IMG_0923.JPG
IMG_0924.JPG
IMG_0925.JPG

Rear end is back on wheels. I am still hopeful I can load it up on trailer this week and drag it to work to drop in the Cummins. A small checklist of things to do before it can move like adding oil to diffs and unlocking the rear axle. I had to lock it to put the axles back in.
I did fight the locker this weekend due to a bent actuator rod. Once I realize the slight bend was causing my install issues I swapped in my spare rod and went in without issue. One thing I need to verify is which way the motor turns during lock and unlock. I initially put the actuator rod in for locked length just to install back in axle.
IMG_0926.JPG

Cim, do you need to borrow an engine hoist? I have Tucker's in my shop taking up space.

Cim, do you need to borrow an engine hoist? I have Tucker's in my shop taking up space.
I have one but a forklift would be easier. If I bring the engine home in the back of my truck I can't get it off with the hoist. I was able to do it with a 3B but it was super sketchy on my sloped driveway. Other option would be load the engine on trailer but then I'm still hauling a trailer to work.

Just read this whole thread. Awesome! Really like what you have done. Hope to connect with you one day at @CenTXFJ60 magic barn together with @CaptClose.

Just read this whole thread. Awesome! Really like what you have done. Hope to connect with you one day at @CenTXFJ60 magic barn together with @CaptClose.
Yeah I need to get out there and see what’s new. I get bored sometimes working on my projects that I need to look at other people’s Cruisers for ideas.

I got the chassis loaded up on the trailer to take to work for engine install tomorrow. I had a few set back on the trailer. I had to tighten one wheel bearing then realized none of the lights worked. After checking bulbs (good), truck harness (good), I found a few wires dangling from the bottom. My dads not the best at maintaining his s***. At this point it was well past dark and I really didn’t feel like rewiring the trailer so I bought magnetic lights at the parts store. They were way over priced but it was plug and play.
Another thing I am hoping for is the stock front shocks will fit once the engine is in so it won’t bounce around on the way home. Unloaded they are about 3” to short. If not I will just add more straps.
7B96DA50-9487-4DFA-9A82-8155C95B8BAD.jpeg

It’s probably a good time to clean the garage.
FAB6E873-0DDF-4776-834D-FA8315E876CC.jpeg

Engine is in! Hardest part was me man handling the chassis off the trailer solo twice in a day. Anyway once we got the forklift out it was all of 5 minutes putting the engine in place. It was just too easy. Clearances are tight but nothing is touching same as my 80.
Once I got it back near the garage I made the wife come help put the body back on since I don’t have room for both and it was drizzling. She is never pleased when I make her help. I try to tell her if she doesn’t help I resort to sketchy tactics. With the cab rear mounts sitting on top of where the 80 bolts down I seem to have the same if not more space between the engine and firewall as the 80.
I’ll get better photos tomorrow in daylight. Until then enjoy.
FF9603BB-E236-4AEB-BE92-BE58C8B0DF14.jpeg

1C6E80D9-AE45-440B-9859-A363FBF9D0DF.jpeg
81E78F73-A3D2-46DB-9245-6AD9E6EFF047.jpeg
A3C2067F-0DC9-418B-9DA8-083EEA523C11.jpeg

Too damn cool, Cim!

That is one big a$$ motor, and it’s freakin’ awesome. Strong work Cim.

Engine just looks right in there....

That's kinda blasphemous coming from me, but I dig it.

:)
Ha! Yes it is. Who would of thought a 6BT could drop in with no frame modifications.

That fact is blowing my mind right now.
Funny part is I alway thought my 80 frame had been modified. A few times I looked at the mounts and thought "Man did they make those mounts look factory". I don't recall if other modified the mounts or not. My engine sits a bit higher than most also. Right above the steering brace that the Diesel Adapters kit has you cut and drop. I am hoping to get away with no body lift unlike my 80 but won't know until I start mocking up the body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom